Quality increases: A discussion on the differences/issues

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Quality increases: A discussion on the differences/issue

Postby fablewings » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:47 pm

I don't like it. But what could be done.

Old world was going too fast for it's own good.

My guess is that they wanted to slow the game down. Tremendously.

Then again some of those things we should not of had in the first place.

Leather trick was OP. Boards in the kiln was OP too.

It's not harder. It's just not easy like before more tedious work and less fun.

I can understand to a point, but it's more time consuming and I'm sure thats what they wanted.

More subs. :p
fablewings

Postby jorb » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:32 pm

fablewings wrote:My guess is that they wanted to slow the game down. Tremendously.

We had no such ambition.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby burgingham » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:41 pm

That statement surprises me. The introduction of different kinds of qualities that are harder to combine, the removal of a lot of options from former quality allstars like boards, the changes to cheese, the removal of the 360% lp bonus and any other lp boost item without introducing some form of compensation all make it appear like this was very much intended.

I don't mind that at all, but I'd be a bit worried if it was all just a coincedence.
burgingham

Postby jorb » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Worried or not, we didn't really reason in those terms. The food and combat systems has arguably been sped up, but more importantly I'd, again, say that "speed" was simply not really a factor we reasoned much in terms of.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby burgingham » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Hm, not sure what you mean when you say the food system has sped up. I think it has slowed down when we talk about raising stats.

I don't mean to say the game has slowed down in its entirety, but rather that the pace of progression especially in the quality and stat department has.
burgingham

Postby mamotromico » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:18 pm

burgingham wrote:Hm, not sure what you mean when you say the food system has sped up. I think it has slowed down when we talk about raising stats.

I don't mean to say the game has slowed down in its entirety, but rather that the pace of progression especially in the quality and stat department has.

The hunger system actually sped up stat increase IF you do not consider active hunger grinding.
mamotromico

Postby Garfy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Want to know what is great?

When you spend weeks hunting for high quality soil, water and clay.
So you can make some good kilns, tar kilns, furnaces and then some good quality tree planters pots.
Then you slowly grow and replant trees over the next month to gradually increase their quality.
All the while you're hunting bears and stuffing yourself full of sausage.

All so you can get that slightly better quality pickaxe and increased strength and finally mine this ore you found on layer 3. At like 2% increase of the hour glass per tick.

And you know what that ore is? Quality 10 Heavy Earth because FUCK YOU.

Whoever decided mining should be changed to work like this needs a punch.
Garfy

Postby Tamalak » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:04 pm

The game feels sped up to me when it comes to FEP. I can eat whenever I want instead of when I'm "hungry" and I've never gotten above "content" since I'm not super grinding food.
Tamalak

Postby Kaios » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:10 pm

Tamalak wrote:The game feels sped up to me when it comes to FEP. I can eat whenever I want instead of when I'm "hungry" and I've never gotten above "content" since I'm not super grinding food.

I guess it just depends on what your style of play has been in the past, some people would eat entire mansions of food in a single session using the plow ground, drink water method where as others would just eat normally as they did things throughout their play time.

For those who had utilized the plow ground, drink water method in the past it probably feels a much slower pace to them, for those who played and ate at a somewhat average rate I'm sure it feels sped up a bit.
Kaios

Postby burgingham » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:36 pm

Yeah I usually go by what was possible and with plow feasting you could raise 100s of stat points in a sitting with no restrictions whatsoever.

The other postes are right of course that the FEP system is kinda spe dup right now and tables ar epretty nice too.
burgingham

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas