Quality increases: A discussion on the differences/issues

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Quality increases: A discussion on the differences/issue

Postby Hervarth » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:45 pm

The way armour class and weapons work is indeed cool (do we know if ess/vit do anything on weapons yet though?). Food too.
I feel like jorb and loftar just didn't quite complete the system. You could easily expand it to other tools, it might be fun if, say, sub was the only thing that mattered for mining power, but vit meant you used less stamina, and ess meant you mined faster (this particular idea is overpowered, probably.) I think with just a change to how picks work everyone would be considerably happier.

I'm not sure that q nodes are *that* rare on lower levels - what is rare is getting significant average q nodes. If more things had effects that just depended on one of the qs, it might be more interesting.

The livestock do indeed seem super harsh - I'm not sure the % fields are at all fun, I get that we are supposed to be able to raise different lines for different products, but with the 3 different qualities it is indeed just too much, and you need a lot of animals to have a decent chance of raising the many quality types you need for each line.

Personally I don't mind slower q grind, if its possible to overcome it with trade and stuff (which would be easier if everything relied on the quality components rather than the average). But thats tricky at the moment, in the current lawless state of the world, and with how wagons can't use roads :p
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

Postby mamotromico » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Sevenless wrote:
mamotromico wrote:My biggest gripe is with the rounding. Everything else (though animal RNG seem especially painful) I can accept as "Haven is slower now", but the rounding down on pretty much everything is killing me.

Haven's always been like that for rounding. But that rounding interplays nastily with farming due to the seed batching mechanic. I personally feel the batching mechanic could be tweaked to eliminate that issue, or perhaps rework stacking so only same quality seeds stack together automatically.

That's mostly what I meant, if everything else was just slower I would be okay with it, but the way rounding works in this particular pace is whats so maddening.
mamotromico

Postby Garfy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Hervarth wrote:I'm not sure that q nodes are *that* rare on lower levels - what is rare is getting significant average q nodes. If more things had effects that just depended on one of the qs, it might be more interesting.

This is what needs to happen.

Where I live right now, everything has insane essence and substance, but basically no vitality at all. What this means for our armor is it has insanely high protection, but if you can bypass the protection if offers, it ends up breaking in like 3 hits. For our food it means it gives some great FEPs at little hunger cost, but you end up getting tons of food satiations so you need to eat a variety of different foods.

If this system applied to everything that made use of quality, it'd make the game better, it'd make trading more viable (every village would essentially have their own speciality), and you wouldn't be fucked in the ass by a spiked drilldo when yet another quality node is missing one type of quality.
Garfy

Postby Potjeh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Yeah, picks are way too harsh.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Carebear » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:07 pm

For farming the auto-drop seeds on Amber has helped a lot. I have 100 farming and drudic and I am still seeing odd Q on various crops to the point where I have honestly stopped trying to figure it out. All things being equal you are better off grinding survival to 100 and getting WWW's till you have epic seeds than trying to do it via farming. Especially for the longer cycle crops. I know people with 50+ Q crops that have no farming skill and they are doing better because of high survival.

Yes I know over time the farmer will do better, but it sure feels like an obvious 'issue' to me, but what do I know.

Indirectly related is the averaging, be it seeds, honey, troughs, flour, etc. Simple math might be a good place to start. If I have 999 10/10/10 seeds and I put in 1 1/1/1 see it destroys them all. If I put 1999 50/50/50 beets in a trough then the last one is a 1/1/1 the entire trough is 1/1/1. How about some basic math here? Reduce the overall Q, but how can 1 of 2000 items destroy it all?
Harvesting carrots
Carebear

Postby lachlaan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:00 pm

To be fair, I'm not the farmer but I've seen some weird shit when helping sort replantables. Identical seeds planted in the span of 10 minutes yielded inspectable plants with all varying shifts in qualities. Kind of made me facepalm when thinking of the whole, all of the same crop within such and such time window and such and such area get the same stat displacement (when planting).
lachlaan

Postby Kaios » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:57 pm

mamotromico wrote:My biggest gripe is with the rounding. Everything else (though animal RNG seem especially painful) I can accept as "Haven is slower now", but the rounding down on pretty much everything is killing me.

The rounding doesn't even make sense sometimes. An anvil requires 5 bars, 4 of the bars were the same substance quality, one was 1 less than the others. I build the anvil and the substance ends up as the bar with 1 less quality, why?

TELL ME WHY JORB AND LOFTAR
Kaios

Postby Potjeh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:09 pm

If we can't have decimal quality, at least round to nearest rather than always down.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby RickyP602 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Maybe I'm insane, but the rounding does seem more harsh than previous worlds?
RickyP602

Postby Hervarth » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Kaios wrote:

The rounding doesn't even make sense sometimes. An anvil requires 5 bars, 4 of the bars were the same substance quality, one was 1 less than the others. I build the anvil and the substance ends up as the bar with 1 less quality, why?

TELL ME WHY JORB AND LOFTAR

4/5 = 0 for ints. That is why.
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas