Lets talk about the exp system

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Lets talk about the exp system

Postby banok » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:38 pm

Do people actually like how it works right now?

The basic premise of it was cool. I like the lore texts and the little music that plays, but in terms of current gameplay I think the system works completely the opposite to how exp gain was intended to be.

Playing the game normally means you will never get much experience, but constantly seeking to trigger new events and chain them allows people to really game the system and get oodles of exp.

Once you get an event if you intentionally seek a new one by running through a list of things such as: right click a willow, pick something up, etc. you are very likely to immediately trigger another event. So you can get a chain going.

Its not like people who aren't gaming the system like this are running out of exp, its more an issue of people playing the game in such a arbitary fashion are getting ahead. You can bet alot of people are autostudying mirkwoods since world start.

Sorry JLo, I think you might need to go back to drawing board with this system. Its both unintuitive and tedious. What do other people think?
banok

Re: Lets talk about the exp system

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:12 am

banok wrote:Playing the game normally means you will never get much experience, but constantly seeking to trigger new events and chain them allows people to really game the system and get oodles of exp.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm playing 'normally' and have about 18k experience. Even stringing offerings I can't kill the XP I get. O.o
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby banok » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:36 am

I guess 2 peoples versions of normal can be very different, but I never study mirkwoods for like 1 month and I was steady 1k-2k despite playing 10 hour days and doing all sorts of stuff. after I started doing a bit of intentionally right clicking willows and such, its up to like 4-5k.
banok

Postby Tamalak » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:58 am

As cool as the xp system is, it probably should have been hidden to prevent people from accumulating checklists.

Should have no pop ups, no exp display, and if you try to study something you don't have xp for the error message should be "go play the game"

Jorftar could then periodically rotate what actually gives xp.
Tamalak

Postby venatorvenator » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 am

banok wrote:Do people actually like how it works right now?

The popups were really neat, they add soul to the game. It's really nice that now we also get to see words and not just numbers.

But as far as I know it was implemented to also prevent curio bots and slow down the LP grind. Is that working? Not at all.

The system definitely needs to be reworked to slow down char progression. That shouldn't be done now though, it would create a huge gap between new players and already botted factions. W9 world reset please :D
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby Avu » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:13 am

I also noticed that the alt factory prevention is not really working. My suggestion is acumulate hidden xp charges while playing and doing activities and if you then intentionally go through the checklist or just play the game get them easy. If you're an alt that only logs to switch curios no luck you can right click them willows 200 times no go.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Return to Critique & Ideas