Pls nerf walls

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Pls nerf walls

Postby Delamore » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:08 am

Garfy wrote:
CaptainMidget wrote:Agree'd. You're making the game too easy as it is. Small villages still have the option to mine bloodstone if they find a soft node.

No one except the very few large villages will ever have the option of mining layer 4 and lower. I can mine layer 3 at anywhere from about 14% to 25% of an increase to the hour glass at a time. Going down to layer 4, I do not even manage to scratch the rock.

250 Str + a ql 45 pickaxe/axe is probably the minimum you will need to mine on layer 4. Which is twice what you need to mine on layer 3.
What is layer 5 going to take? 500 str and a ql 90 pickaxe?

So you have multiple layer 4 mines to get a good sample size right?
Delamore

Postby CaptainMidget » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:13 am

Garfy wrote:
CaptainMidget wrote:Agree'd. You're making the game too easy as it is. Small villages still have the option to mine bloodstone if they find a soft node.

No one except the very few large villages will ever have the option of mining layer 4 and lower. I can mine layer 3 at anywhere from about 14% to 25% of an increase to the hour glass at a time. Going down to layer 4, I do not even manage to scratch the rock.

250 Str + a ql 45 pickaxe/axe is probably the minimum you will need to mine on layer 4. Which is twice what you need to mine on layer 3.
What is layer 5 going to take? 500 str and a ql 90 pickaxe?

Oh wow, its like you've completely neglected the fact that small villages can trade the bigger villages for more valuable metals and how some villages already have people with 400+ str..
CaptainMidget

Postby Garfy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:28 pm

Delamore wrote:So you have multiple layer 4 mines to get a good sample size right?

Yes.

CaptainMidget wrote:Oh wow, its like you've completely neglected the fact that small villages can trade the bigger villages for more valuable metals and how some villages already have people with 400+ str..

I've got access to some pretty high quality metal right now, maybe some of the highest in the game as well as to every type of metal in the game. Know what I'm going to say if some hermit comes and wants to trade my high quality or rare metal for his quality 8 curios or whatever other junk he has? "Fuck off"
Also I'd like evidence to support this claim of people with 400+ Str. And I'd like you to show me these hermits/smaller villages who have this much str.
Garfy

Postby romovs » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Having a resource which is hard to obtain is a good thing in the long term.
Now sure why everyone wants to be able to "finish" everything in one week/month. Maybe it's just the legacy H&H speaking where you could tan leather in ten minutes and mine up to the last level with zero investment...
romovs

Postby Delamore » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:53 pm

Garfy wrote:
Delamore wrote:So you have multiple layer 4 mines to get a good sample size right?

Yes.

CaptainMidget wrote:Oh wow, its like you've completely neglected the fact that small villages can trade the bigger villages for more valuable metals and how some villages already have people with 400+ str..

I've got access to some pretty high quality metal right now, maybe some of the highest in the game as well as to every type of metal in the game. Know what I'm going to say if some hermit comes and wants to trade my high quality or rare metal for his quality 8 curios or whatever other junk he has? "Fuck off"

Good thing you speak for everyone who has access to valuable metals right.
Delamore

Postby mattresses » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Garfy sounds like a pretty bad neighbour.
mattresses

Postby RickyP602 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:16 am

I do think the walls need a nerf. It's downright aggravating. I traded for a q33 pick, have been investing in str and still cannot mine about a third of the walls I encounter around the caves near my place some of these I cannot even scracth.. The hardness needs to be evened out not necessarily nerfed as a whole. I'm fine with level 4 and 5 being hard to mine and such, but the first two levels shouldn't be nearly unobtainable for a small group.

I have 3 people, we are afraid to even build a minehole to level two, since I cannot even mine all of level 1 yet.

I think the nodes just need to be evened out. I'd like to be able to plan how I'd like my mine to look and all, but cannot even do that because I'm sure that there is a hardness node I can't break.

romovs wrote:Having a resource which is hard to obtain is a good thing in the long term.
Now sure why everyone wants to be able to "finish" everything in one week/month. Maybe it's just the legacy H&H speaking where you could tan leather in ten minutes and mine up to the last level with zero investment...

I'm sure most people who are looking for softer walls, do not have a problem with the last levels being more difficult, the progression just needs to be tweaked is all.
Last edited by RickyP602 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickyP602

Postby RickyP602 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:22 am

mattresses wrote:Garfy sounds like a pretty bad neighbour.

Delamore wrote:
Garfy wrote:

Yes.

Good thing you speak for everyone who has access to valuable metals right.

The new fate system and lack of any travel/social/trade mechanic truly did hurt trading for noobs. You use to be able to go forage and save up the good curios, or hunt bears, or gather consumables, and trade them for stuff that was important, or hard to come by.

The fate system made it so that nobody is studying bluebells, flotsams etc... consistently so nobody cares to really trade them much. This plus the complete lack of any social/trade system whatsoever (roads don't count) has made the trading of mass goods near impossible.

Noobs can't save up curios to trade, they can't save up mass goods (mushrooms, bricks, blueberries cloth etc...), they can't trade animals, in short there is no economy for a noob right now (aside from sub tokens and even these are a limited kind of thing, people only need one a month after all - not to mention the fact that they are essentially money, makes trading them way harder than normal stuff because people love griefing money).

The only people trading for good shit are people with good shit, plain and simple.
RickyP602

Postby Garfy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:26 pm

RickyP602 wrote:I do think the walls need a nerf. It's downright aggravating. I traded for a q33 pick, have been investing in str and still cannot mine about a third of the walls I encounter around the caves near my place some of these I cannot even scracth.. The hardness needs to be evened out not necessarily nerfed as a whole. I'm fine with level 4 and 5 being hard to mine and such, but the first two levels shouldn't be nearly unobtainable for a small group.

I have 3 people, we are afraid to even build a minehole to level two, since I cannot even mine all of level 1 yet.

I think the nodes just need to be evened out. I'd like to be able to plan how I'd like my mine to look and all, but cannot even do that because I'm sure that there is a hardness node I can't break.

If you have a ql33 pickaxe, and around 150-160 str, you should be fine with going down to layer 3. Provided you do not hit any hardness nodes that is.
Garfy

Postby RickyP602 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Yeah it's the nodes that are killer. I don't have as much str as you recommended, but the nodes are insane.
RickyP602

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas