Cauldron water should work differently

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Cauldron water should work differently

Postby Vertine » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:42 am

I'll start by saying that this is really a suggested change pretty much solely for the sake of realism, but anyway:

IMO, the fact that water in a cauldron "goes" anywhere just by being lit is kind of ridiculous. You might say that it's evaporating during use but given that we're talking about liters upon liters of water here, that explanation doesn't really satisfy me.

I suggest a more intuitive mechanism: rather than the quantity of water depleting with use, I suggest that the quality of the water decrease. Then, once it gets past a point no longer up to the standards of the user, the water can be changed.

Think of it like washing dishes in a sink: you start with clean water, but as you wash more and more dishes, the water gets dirtier, so you eventually have to drain it away and bring in new water (if you're washing a lot of dishes, that is).

Again, I can't really defend this idea on the basis of anything other than the fact that I think it would be a more realistic mechanism, but I still thought I'd share.
Vertine

Re: Cauldron water should work differently

Postby CaptainMidget » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:46 am

Its good that you're thinking of ways to make the game better but I very much disagree with this. I dislike the idea of quality dropping in general.

If you had a real life cauldron with 30 liters in it constantly being boiled, it'd evaporate faster then it'd get dirty.
CaptainMidget

Postby burgingham » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:41 am

Realism aside the proposed new mechanic is much worse in terms of how annoying it would become to boil anything. Water is an infinite resource so you can just refill when it boils. Quality drops however would make boiling anything so much more annoying. Especially when it comes to important stuff like hardened leather.
burgingham

Postby Vertine » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:43 pm

You both are 100% right--bad idea.
Vertine

Postby Garfy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:35 pm

Just keep a barrel next to your cauldron, and empty the cauldron into the barrel when you've finished with it... It's not particularly hard to do this you know?
Garfy

Postby Vigilance » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:04 pm

woohoo, tedium! +1000!!!!
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby burgingham » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Think this can be locked.
burgingham

Return to Critique & Ideas