Inheriting HF should not be instant or free

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Inheriting HF should not be instant or free

Postby banok » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Inheriting your hearthfire instantly for no cost is allowing too much abuse right now.

People spamming cheap mexican labour alts to dig to death, which are instantly replaced saving you resources.

NB & friends spamming alts outside our walls to scout (Killing these over and over has become everyday routine for us recently).

There needs to be a reasonable requirement, whether it waiting 2 days or developing the new character a certain extent before having an option to change hearthfire to old characters.
banok

Re: Inheriting HF should not be instant or free

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Yeah, there's certainly a case to be made, but I haven't been able to think of any requirement that I find reasonable.

One thing I've considered is letting the descendant start with the same stamina and energy level as his ancestor, but that would of course not be too fun for people who've "legitimately" starved. (To the extent such a thing is even possible. ^^)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:58 pm

loftar wrote:One thing I've considered is letting the descendant start with the same stamina and energy level as his ancestor, but that would of course not be too fun for people who've "legitimately" starved. (To the extent such a thing is even possible. ^^)

All that changes is you feed the labour alts shitty food like it's a cow, which isn't hard. Whole reason labour alts exist is because no one wants to waste their precious hunger bar because they need to do some work.

Only viable options for labour food that don't rape the hunger bar aren't worth the effort. Rats on a stick are basically a forageable and difficult to produce en masse, tea has a specific time limit that's arbitrary, pointless, and cumbersome. It's so much easier to have a slightly bigger beet farm to feed the labour alts and have your hemp buds ready, table set, and energy bar ignored when you feast on your actual character for phat st@ts.
DDDsDD999

Postby Garfy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:48 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Only viable options for labour food that don't rape the hunger bar aren't worth the effort. Rats on a stick are basically a forageable and difficult to produce en masse, tea has a specific time limit that's arbitrary, pointless, and cumbersome. It's so much easier to have a slightly bigger beet farm to feed the labour alts and have your hemp buds ready, table set, and energy bar ignored when you feast on your actual character for phat st@ts.

Once you've got a village set up, getting food that gives high energy and low hunger is pretty easy to get. Steak and Tubers is what we mainly use now, 800% energy for about 2-2.5% hunger.
Garfy

Postby Archiplex » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:44 am

How about, a character can only be inherited if they hit a certain threshold of requirements

Such as 100k lp, or even the same requirements for valhalla?
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Fostik » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:55 am

banok wrote:NB & friends spamming alts outside our walls to scout (Killing these over and over has become everyday routine for us recently).

Destroy HF.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Sevenless » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:20 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:Only viable options for labour food that don't rape the hunger bar aren't worth the effort.

Bread having Con FEPs kinda surprised me, I was expecting a worker's food out of it with no FEP or hunger cost tbh.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby DaniAngione » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:03 am

Maybe a cooldown? For example, you can only "inherit" a claim once in a week - or maybe 4 days or something.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Karede » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:17 am

DaniAngione wrote:Maybe a cooldown? For example, you can only "inherit" a claim once in a week - or maybe 4 days or something.

That's legitimately a pretty solid solution
Karede

Postby Archiplex » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:21 am

People would just have multiple alts at a time, wouldn't fix much.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas