Haven & Hearth 2 NON-PvP

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Haven & Hearth 2 NON-PvP

Postby uncleseano » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:14 pm

jorb wrote:
uncleseano wrote:The end result? A very cool, great in-dept survival sim where the elements AND other jerks are after you. Just look small and you'll be left alone

Thanks!

*Sniff* My reaction to this simple thanks

--*WARNING OVER USED LINK*--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9YYoN3v6M
uncleseano

Postby loftar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:00 am

uncleseano wrote:I play this game like a nice version of farmville... Sorry lads but I know I ain't the only one.

Really nothing to be sorry for. As I said earlier, I think of it rather as a failure that the game still isn't good enough at catering to that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DaniAngione » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:03 am

loftar wrote:
uncleseano wrote:I play this game like a nice version of farmville... Sorry lads but I know I ain't the only one.

Really nothing to be sorry for. As I said earlier, I think of it rather as a failure that the game still isn't good enough at catering to that.

Is it just me or in the 'Good cop, bad cop" scheme, is loftar the Good cop and jorb the bad cop? :lol:

Just kidding, but you've said a lot of great stuff on this thread here! As a friendly/peaceful settler, I feel represented and welcomed at the hearthlands!
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby infectedking » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am

WyrmLynch wrote:-_- the exact definition of don't come up with a Stupid solution anyways case close i dont even know why i bother

I feel this guy was probably killed by frost, which is why he is complaining.
dafels wrote:I like to be under Frosty's command.

Any Questions about the game or anything, hit me up on skype: deadlytroll1 Or you can find me in the hedgehug realm chat on discord.
W7: Hermit
W8: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W9: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W10: deserter-Peaceful Farmer of F&I
infectedking

Postby uncleseano » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:45 am

loftar wrote:

Kinda hard on yourself there? From a non-PvP angle I can think of a bunch of stuff that H&H does that farmville doesn't. I murdered the face off my first boar and then pulled it's skin off. Sure as shit wouldn't see that in farmville ;)
uncleseano

Postby Tamalak » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:48 pm

I am a very peaceful player and I would be bored stupid by a non-PvP server. Without the threat lurking in the background of raiders, motivation will drop.

Furthermore, if you split the game into PvP and non-PvP, even joining the PvP server wouldn't help, because it would have such a high concentration of jerks vs. peaceful hermits that that too would be boring.

This game is far cooler with all types of players living in the same world.
Last edited by Tamalak on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamalak

Postby shubla » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Death and players like frost are part of game. Deal with it
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Kirby254 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:16 pm

You could just satisfy both parties by making an npc town for non-pvp players to gravitate towards. Then just set that zone as a no-pvp zone.(or have guards spawn and rape anyone who tried to pvp in that zone) I know there is no money in game, but an npc town could work off quest based barter systems. example trade: bring me 20 rabbit hide and I will give you 1 piece of iron.
Kirby254

Postby venatorvenator » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:30 pm

loftar wrote:Do I really have to spell it out for you? My point is this: What do you do on a non-PvP server when someone:
  • Starts building a village idol to claim the land around you;
  • Takes ten alts to block the exit of your palisade gate;
  • Builds a palisade around your claim;
  • Plants a tight forest all around you, or conversely, cuts down all the trees around you;
  • Simply stands in your way;
  • Runs away with the carcass of the animal you just killed; or
  • Just decides to settle down next to you while you don't like him?
These, and many other conceivable actions, are far easier ways to grief people than is PvP, and PvP is the only thing that keeps them somewhat in check. Therefore, removing PvP results not in less griefing, but in more.

In case it's not obvious, I'm not denying that some people just want to live in peace, and I don't think it would be a bad thing if they could do that. But removing PvP does not result in that.

I’m sorry, that isn’t a good reasoning, there are better arguments in favor of pvp. In the scenarios you describe a possible solution would be to only allow pvp against characters who have commited a crime. This would mean reworking of the scent system to make all criminal taints last much longer, but it solves the griefing issue.

That's because, technically, you only own what is under your and your village's claims, everything else is just personal morals and that varies from player to player. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with planting or chopping forests all around someone's camp, and there are ways to avoid it such as extending your own claim to a river. The same with building a palisade around my claim. If someone enters my claim to block the gate with alts, it means trespassing and therefore I would be able to kill them. In any case, those are unlikely to be a common issue because they involve so much effort, and only a few psychos and dedicated griefers have the motivation and the subscribed accounts needed to do it.

I don't think PvP should be removed or restricted in any way though. In my opinion a better solution is to work on its consequences instead, in order to make them less trivial for the aggressor: they should be harsher, hhp damage should be reimplemented, debuffs reworked and made proportional to the crime, and stuff of this sort.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby mietzi94 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:37 pm

tbh there are a lot of ways to be safe from pvping. the easiest is probably walk like 6 hours in one direction and you will see 0 other players and nobody will take the effort to walk for hours just to raid a hermitage.
second is i still see a lot of hermitages dont even have a palisade. you can read things easily in the wiki or ask in the forum how you can protect your stuff better. if you get raided by some people because you have no palisade you will learn your lesson through it.
biggest problem for newbies is probably that you lose close to everything when you die and for a hermit its so hard to get good stats all by himself.
Still everything no reason to remove pvp. more people will quit the game without pvp than with pvp.
Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued.
mietzi94

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas