Rearranging the build order a bit. (Yeomanry and log cabins)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Rearranging the build order a bit. (Yeomanry and log cab

Postby CaptainMidget » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:53 am

sabinati wrote:it just seems like an arbitrary restriction in a sandbox game

I had my house destroyed within the first 24 hours when I made it. Did it annoy me? Yes. Did I know it could be destroyed due to this soak mechanic? No.

Create a tool-tip when you mouse-over any house that says something along the lines of "The house can be destroyed for up to X days after building it to prevent griefing".
This lets the player know how long it needs to soak for and as to why it can be destroyed within that time period. It'd be especially useful to newer players trying to get into the game. It'll make them think if they should buy Yeomanry first this way.

Thoughts?
CaptainMidget

Postby DaniAngione » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:08 am

CaptainMidget wrote:
sabinati wrote:it just seems like an arbitrary restriction in a sandbox game

I had my house destroyed within the first 24 hours when I made it. Did it annoy me? Yes. Did I know it could be destroyed due to this soak mechanic? No.

Create a tool-tip when you mouse-over any house that says something along the lines of "The house can be destroyed for up to X days after building it to prevent griefing".
This lets the player know how long it needs to soak for and as to why it can be destroyed within that time period. It'd be especially useful to newer players trying to get into the game. It'll make them think if they should buy Yeomanry first this way.

Thoughts?

I like this...
Maybe every harder structure that builds up a lot of soak (walls, houses, etc...) should have a small tooltip explaining how the soak growth mechanic works. Just like firebrands now include a small tip.
Something like "This structure will be vulnerable for 9 days* before it becomes fairly solid. Be careful where you build it!"

* I've used in-game days since the game itself usually works with that standard (for example, the Ram says "3 days of drying")
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Cajoes » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:46 am

Know what else is a arbitrary restriction? Most of this entire game. (which I mean in the best possible way, though its annoying to have milk, but not having any idea how to churn it because I wasn't there when it was extracted from the cow)

While I don't do game design for a living, I do feel that putting in a tool-tip is just washing your hands in the affair and expect people to read. A arbitrary restriction would make them pay more attention to actually do the necessary reading.

What are you guys doing with your hearthlings that makes a completely unprotected log-cabin™ more attractive than getting some basic defenses (claims) up first? (Leantos don't count, they have built in protections by design), cupboards filled with cone cows and dandelions?

edit: Not being exacerbating here, just honestly curious because nobody has stated *why* they want to have log cabins and timber houses up from the word go. Often before you even have a rope-walk to make a palisade with.

Edit:edit: Actually thinking about it like a reasonable adult that I am, a tool-tip will probably be fine.
Cajoes

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas