Rock "regeneration" without plate tectonics

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Rock "regeneration" without plate tectonics

Postby Sevenless » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:04 pm

Frost heave is a natural process that causes rocks to migrate upwards to the surface due to the cycle of seasons. It's caused by soil expanding during cold snaps while rocks do not, and results in a slow upward motion.

In the long term, with seasons introduced, frost heave could (if the game determines a region needs it) generate new rock boulders in the Spring as "Odd bulges" in the ground that when dug would reveal a stone boulder. In the short term, these boulders spawning bulges could be sprinkled into the RNG table if the server determines an area is too lacking of rock. Since ore rocks seem to spawn super rarely in their spawn zones, I'm guessing that'd need to be taken into account if ore rocks were to be generated on the surface after world start. If we're sticking with "super duper realism" only soil/clay based biomes would have this, so rocks wouldn't appear freshly on mountains, quarries, or sand.

Hopefully this fulfills the needs of realism and our need for a world that regenerates beginner resources.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Re: Rock "regeneration" without plate tectonics

Postby Coriander » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:42 pm

That is an elegant solution.

Irl, if you really want to see rocks pop out of the ground, just plow the land ;)
When the all cutting blade meets the uncuttable stone - at times, the blade is sharpened
Coriander

Postby shubla » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:09 pm

I suggested forageable stones. Add them. Please. Maybe you could add spawns for boulders. Also decay for them. So over time rain and wind and other stuff would make them to dust and they'd disappear. But new ones would spawn.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Cajoes » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:30 pm

Oh geez, am reminded of my childhood now... We had several huge goddamn boulders slowly creeping out of the drive-way at the pace of glaciers, eventually making it a hazard for the cars suspension.
Cajoes

Postby Sevenless » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:39 pm

Cajoes wrote:Oh geez, am reminded of my childhood now... We had several huge goddamn boulders slowly creeping out of the drive-way at the pace of glaciers, eventually making it a hazard for the cars suspension.

In canada frost heave requires that farmers hire teenagers to help pick rocks out of the fields every summer so they don't damage the equipment. I made some good money back in the day doing that.

shubla wrote:I suggested forageable stones. Add them. Please. Maybe you could add spawns for boulders. Also decay for them. So over time rain and wind and other stuff would make them to dust and they'd disappear. But new ones would spawn.

Every time forageable stones comes up, Jorb started talking realism and simulation of stuff (at least that's what I remember gleaning from his comments). When I remembered frost heave I realized it'd meet our needs for stones as well as satisfy the realistic element.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Asgaroth22 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:01 pm

Quite a good idea, I remember what a chore it was to build my first tar kin, I had to do 2 rather long trips for stone, because there wasn't any in my area.

Sevenless wrote:Every time forageable stones comes up, Jorb started talking realism and simulation of stuff (at least that's what I remember gleaning from his comments).

jorb on forageable stone idea thread wrote:Probably not a terrible idea.

jorb on some' cant find stone after 10 hours of searching' thread wrote:We should really add some foragable stone.

I guess we just wait.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby Sevenless » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:29 pm

Wups, I meant boulder regeneration.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby shubla » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:19 pm

Forageable stones wouldnt be unrealistic at all. Finding small single stones in forest or pretty much anywhere is very common almost everywhere in world.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Sevenless » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:56 pm

No it wouldn't, it'd be perfectly fine actually. The thing is, devs mentioned "an eternal world" as an eventual goal. With that in mind, regeneration of starting conditions to some degree is required.

Ideally I'd like to see both.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Archiplex » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:45 am

I like this idea, probably fits in well since jorbtar have mentioned they wanted to add seasons to the game.

Also, bring back mining mountain tiles for rocks.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Return to Critique & Ideas