Stealth

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Stealth

Postby LadyV » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:29 pm

This just occured to me so this is half question and half suggestion if it's not implemented.

The game makes sounds when you walk or run that others can hear. Does stealth affect these sounds? If not you have effectively made the skill only useful vs. scents.
LadyV

Re: Stealth

Postby Asgaroth22 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:14 pm

With the clients doing loud 'BEEP' or similar sounds when you see another player, i don't think that what you suggest would have any impact. It would be nice to have it implemented anyway :p
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby Thedrah » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:42 am

i know run/walk sounds affect animals, i can crawl by a bat but cant run pass it without waking it in a cave. not sure if stealth affects this or what type of shoes you're wearing but would be pretty cool if it mattered

but it would be pve not pvp
  ▲
▲ ▲
Thedrah

Postby CaptainMidget » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:51 am

LadyV wrote:This just occured to me so this is half question and half suggestion if it's not implemented.

The game makes sounds when you walk or run that others can hear. Does stealth affect these sounds? If not you have effectively made the skill only useful vs. scents.

It is only useful vs. scents. I remember a few worlds ago, I was sniped in my little hermitage and when my bigger powerful friends came by, they couldn't find any scents. Thus, who was the murderer?

Also, run/walk in my case has no effect on animals. I've literally ran up to the side and behind on multiple occasions of boars and bears to inspect to see if they're worth my time to kill. No agro.
CaptainMidget

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:09 am

I've often wondered if stealth influenced animal aggro radius.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby DaniAngione » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:04 am

Although not related to Stealth, Jorb confirmed somewhere that crawling past animals is more efficient, I'm just too lazy to go look for it now. (It was on a update thread though, if I'm not mistaken... maybe the one that added bats.)

Also, Stealth improves Mirkwood Offering quality... Not really relevant but interesting when you haven thousands of experience sitting there...

I'd like to see Stealth influencing more stuff, though... Like improving your ability to evade animals and maybe create some sort of 'Hiding' skill (where you disappear if standing still) like Ultima Online has/had. Just standing still, though... :P hidden movement (as in UO's Stealth) would be ridiculously abusive.

---------------
EDIT:

I said I was lazy but I don't like being lazy, so I did my homework:

jorb wrote:They are significantly less likely to attack if you walk slowly past them.

Source
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Glorthan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:34 am

DaniAngione wrote:Although not related to Stealth, Jorb confirmed somewhere that crawling past animals is more efficient, I'm just too lazy to go look for it now. (It was on a update thread though, if I'm not mistaken... maybe the one that added bats.)

That was specfically referring to bats, not aggressive animals in general, unless I am sorely mistaken.
Glorthan

Postby DaniAngione » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Glorthan wrote:
DaniAngione wrote:Although not related to Stealth, Jorb confirmed somewhere that crawling past animals is more efficient, I'm just too lazy to go look for it now. (It was on a update thread though, if I'm not mistaken... maybe the one that added bats.)

That was specfically referring to bats, not aggressive animals in general, unless I am sorely mistaken.

That's true.
My bad.

Although I've always considered it could work and have walked past a few boars and bears while crawling. At the same time, I've aggroed bats from a good distance while crawling so I suppose that either way it still only reduces the chance but it is still there. Having a way to be sure with Stealth skill would make it far more useful.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:32 pm

It's very easy to test animal aggression with regards to speed.

Just try sprinting near a badger and see what happens. I've mentally referred to animals as traffic cops for a while now because of that.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Return to Critique & Ideas