Tree stunting

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Tree stunting

Postby Thralldryk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:38 pm

I feel tree stunting needs to be re-examined. I recently had a tree(with druidic rites) I was waiting on to make my new herbalist table stunt at 81%, which proved to be a pretty major setback. I could have made a minor upgrade in the meantime, but didn't think it was worth the resources when I only had to wait an extra day for a major upgrade. I'm not against the idea of RNG stunting and the percentage seems fine, but possibly make it so ~49% is the only point at which a tree can stunt? Having one stunt so close to completion is a pretty big slap in the face and makes it harder to plan around.

Another thing that might alleviate the annoyance of a stunted tree is an indicator that it's stunted when inspected. At least you'd know right away that you can abandon it and free up the space instead of checking back in a few hours, worried you might be wrong. As it stands I don't see an effective way to tree farm without a custom client.
Thralldryk

Re: Tree stunting

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Although I disagree with the premise (one tree in particular stunting being a problem means you need to plant more trees), I'm not opposed to the suggestions.

Having trees stop at a specific growth value, and giving some proper indication that it's stunted are both things I wouldn't mind seeing.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Thralldryk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Sevenless wrote:Although I disagree with the premise (one tree in particular stunting being a problem means you need to plant more trees),

I plant as many as the room I have afforded to me will allow. This is also kind of a special case because the quality gain on the tree that stunted was abnormally good. I've been having trouble gaining vitality stat and this tree had +6 over just about every other tree and bush I've managed to plant. Thankfully it's not a total loss because it was a fruit bearing tree, so using the seeds from it effectively saved my progress.
Thralldryk

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Ok, but you chose to constrain the number of trees you can plant. In a sense you can call this user error due to inexperience with the system. Or personal preference if you like small areas for your housing.

But that doesn't really matter. Even if I disagree with the problem you had as being something the game should be balanced around, I still support your proposed changes.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Return to Critique & Ideas