Game Still Unreasonably Time Consuming

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Game Still Unreasonably Time Consuming

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:44 pm

I'd like to see future worlds do more to reduce certain repetitive aspects of the game design to reduce the total time sink that goes into Haven.

Besides a look at the curiosity system that Jorb seems to be thinking out already, I'd like to see tasks like (but certainly not limited to) foraging for Glimmermoss and butchering animals become less frequent and the awards for doing so longer lasting.

I was talking to a buddy on steam last night and he showed me the 30 animals that he needed to individually butcher, sausage-ify, and sort etc. The phrase he used was that the idea of doing it, "made him sick."

I'll admit that after my 30th Glimmermoss run I fantasize about my forage bot.

I'd like to see these repetitive tasks reap more and therefore have to occur less often, and wouldn't at all be opposed to seeing curiosities production/forage quantity yield increase threefold, and the hunger system filling you up thrice as quickly.

I aver that longterm this will result in less player burnout and keep pop up. It will also effectively reduce the advantage over traditional players that botters will once again benefit from when they start to automate these processes once more.
I'd hate to see us return to the W7 reality where botting wasn't just an option, it was a necessity.
Last edited by Robben_DuMarsch on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robben_DuMarsch

Re: Game Still Unreasonably Time Consuming

Postby Avu » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Alt factories...
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Redlaw » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Time Consuming is part of the game. I spend almost 2 hours working my farm. The rest of the time I am either cooking or working on some project. The tiny 7 hours gets eaten up fast and all that. You know blah blah blah.

Make things easier is nice, more worth while will happen and jorb and loftar add more to the game. It is getting close to surpassing what was in the last version of it. In many ways it already has. They do have a lot they can and will add. The game is won by people having more time to do things. So if you have the time, why worry? Wait for that update that will make you giddy to do something again.
Redlaw

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Avu wrote:Alt factories...

And when people start botting everything, they will have alt factories too.
It's a design flaw when brute force can give such a large bonus.
Fix that flaw, and it will negate the benefit of botting.

Then address meaningful loss through alts in some other manner that isn't restricted to how much you can brute force the game. One character per account may be a viable option.

Redlaw wrote:Time Consuming is part of the game.

Lol. A game that requires multiple hours spent on it a day (to remain *semi* competitive) isn't one with wide commercial appeal.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Tamalak » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:59 pm

If they make what takes 2 hours now, instead take 30 minutes than people will not spend 1/4th the time on the game, they'll just progress 4x faster.

The game is time consuming because the players have decided to spend a lot of time on it.
Tamalak

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:20 pm

A fallacy.

Getting 4 times as much Glimmermoss doesn't allow you to study four glimmermoss at once.

Nor does increasing the diminishing returns on food make you progress quicker.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Vigilance » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:24 pm

I wonder who talked about those animals to you, Robben. :lol:

Looking at any giant amount of work is down-right disgusting. When I visualize a new base and how flat it needs to be, and see the insane amount of dirt that I need to move, I just log out or say "It'll happen eventually." I shouldn't be expected to pop adderall just to do half the shit that needs done.*

I do not see a solution however that doesn't take away from the game's feeling of accomplishment.

*and spam alts to do that stamina intensive labor, but thats a different issue.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby venatorvenator » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:41 pm

Vigilance wrote:I do not see a solution however that doesn't take away from the game's feeling of accomplishment.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby Granger » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:41 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:
Avu wrote:Alt factories...

Then address meaningful loss through alts in some other manner that isn't restricted to how much you can brute force the game. One character per account may be a viable option.

Why should one put an alt on a subscribed account?

Just make a new account, get 48h of gametime, create a toon and walk it to you base. Of the ~44h left spend ~4 putting in curios and maybe anoter 4 stuffing food in it (when you're at the beginning of 200% or higher) and you'll have an account with 36h left and an disposable fighter.

One Character per Account would not help. Only thing that would help against alts is that they get infectious deseases by being logged in only to eat AGI STR and CON + Curios, contaminating the settlements (where they're farmed like that) so these die out completely (including, and especially, the farmers and crafters in them). But it would only help in the beginning, because then the alt farm would be a separate brickwall somewhere, with food and curios being delivered so when a plague outbreak happens the farmers and crafters are safe somewhere else.

The more I think about the alt problem the more I come to the conclusion that while permadeath exists in Haven we'll have disposable alts, now with the - compared to last world - harsher penalty of no stats/skill inheritance even more than before.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Granger wrote:Just make a new account, get 48h of gametime, create a toon and walk it to you base. Of the ~44h left spend ~4 putting in curios and maybe anoter 4 stuffing food in it (when you're at the beginning of 200% or higher) and you'll have an account with 36h left and an disposable fighter.

Make the XP system stricter, then. Possibly even add XP cost to food.
I'm not saying that my two quick examples of what I would like to see done are a panacea to the issue, and that nothing else should/need be done.

But I do think we (mostly) agree there is an issue.
Fixing it, or at least ameliorating it, would require some risk and rebalancing.

Better than doing nothing imho.
Robben_DuMarsch

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas