Game Still Unreasonably Time Consuming

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Game Still Unreasonably Time Consuming

Postby Vigilance » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:Make the XP system stricter, then. Possibly even add XP cost to food.

I would strongly disagree with this unless it only cost XP to gain benefits from food, and did not cost XP to consume, period. It would make legitimate labor terrible.

More-so than it already is.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Granger » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:13 pm

Vigilance wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:Make the XP system stricter, then. Possibly even add XP cost to food.

I would strongly disagree with this unless it only cost XP to gain benefits from food, and did not cost XP to consume, period.

Would be an idea to stop offline alt factories, because you would need to actively play to gain XP so you can level both Attributes and Abilities.

One slight Problem:
This world is running already to long, so the outrage in case this would be added now would be huge ('they already have the alts, I do not').

Nevertheless, not a bad idea.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Agreed Granger, it would certainly need to be implemented at the start of a new world as opposed to during this one.

And yes Vigi, good point. Otherwise, perhaps there could be some easy to get high energy no FEP food.
Maybe Beetroot leaves could fill that niche, for the "dieting" but "still active" Hearth citizen.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Sevenless » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:20 pm

The more we crunch down on the amount of useful progression we can make per day, the less the hardcores like myself have to do. I'm not really a fan of daily quest style games that attempt to make your "useful" playtime around 2 hours. I think that occupations should exist that have limited time input required to satisfy those players (cheesemaking for example), but I do not like the idea of the entire game being balanced around it.

That said, foraging definitely needs variety to it.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:25 pm

I mean, do you really need virtually necessary rote tasks leading to character progression to satisfy your hardcore needs? There couldn't be unnecessary but still rewarding tasks like making large projects, socializing, or other gameplay like exploring for high quality nodes, completing trades, ranging, etc, that could fill your need?

Surely there is more to the game than quality grind and character grind :P
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:29 pm

venatorvenator wrote:
Vigilance wrote:I do not see a solution however that doesn't take away from the game's feeling of accomplishment.

Agreed. Frankly I should hope that one day they'll find a way to hunt down and destroy bots and the villages that use them.

The time sink is about right for a game that will eventually (if not now) have no resets. Frankly the ability to come back from death is already far too short.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Vigilance » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:49 pm

Granger wrote:Would be an idea to stop offline alt factories, because you would need to actively play to gain XP so you can level both Attributes and Abilities.

Not necessarily true, one of my characters hasn't played since early September and has only been grinding curios. I make about 1k XP a day just doing fuck-all, and that easily covers what I study.

The system there is flawed, absolutely.

Granger wrote:One slight Problem:
This world is running already to long, so the outrage in case this would be added now would be huge ('they already have the alts, I do not').

Very true. There's not a ton that can be changed in terms of large-scale game balance without causing a stir.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Sevenless » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:01 am

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:I mean, do you really need virtually necessary rote tasks leading to character progression to satisfy your hardcore needs? There couldn't be unnecessary but still rewarding tasks like making large projects, socializing, or other gameplay like exploring for high quality nodes, completing trades, ranging, etc, that could fill your need?

Surely there is more to the game than quality grind and character grind :P

Hardcore players tend to be very grind oriented, and most socialize while they grind. Exploring for nodes is hideously boring, trading isn't feasible for everyone or acts just like node hunting in enjoyment (frankly, trading was my favorite thing in legacy and I'm pretty sad it's crippled currently), ranging applies to very tiny portion of the ingame population. Without grindy tasks to fill up my time, I'm left with frankly unappealing alternatives to sink that time into.

I'm more than willing to say some things need to be less grindy, but I'm thinking minor tweaks and for the most part modified action timers. Your suggestion is a massive change in the amount of effort required to do things, and pushing the game towards "Oh good, I did everything I need to do in 2 hours now I can log off for the day".

There's plenty of games out there like that, but they aren't in the spirit of legacy's grind nor are they games I personally want to play. Most of the hardcores here will likely want some level of grind similar to this, albeit toned down in some areas I'd think. This is an issue of opinions, we unfortunately differ.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:12 am

This would just accelerate world obsolescence. It might be fun for a while, but then people will start quitting because the game will have become too boring.

In my opinion this is a discussion about what kind of game the devs want this to be, and also what kind of players they want playing this.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:30 am

venatorvenator wrote:In my opinion this is a discussion about what kind of game the devs want this to be, and also what kind of players they want playing this.

I think there is a lot of common ground to give hardcore grinders something fun to do, and reduce the necessary (for semi-competitiveness) grind for the players that can't afford to sink hours into the game every single day.
Robben_DuMarsch

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas