Game Still Unreasonably Time Consuming

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Game Still Unreasonably Time Consuming

Postby Haba » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:37 am

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:Surely there is more to the game than quality grind and character grind

No, there isn't.
Haba

Postby Avu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:32 pm

You can plant only so many bushes and pave so many pixel art. When that is done there is grind. And even grind is not what it once was. I must be getting old but I find myself eating at 300% instead of probably a lot more efficient 100% (stat gain over time efficient rather than work efficient). I may be turning into a larper. I'm very afraid.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby rye130 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Avu wrote:You can plant only so many bushes and pave so many pixel art. When that is done there is grind. And even grind is not what it once was. I must be getting old but I find myself eating at 300% instead of probably a lot more efficient 100% (stat gain over time efficient rather than work efficient). I may be turning into a larper. I'm very afraid.

That's just the way the game is set up now, not anything different with you. The game actively rewards you for not playing it.
rye130

Postby Archiplex » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:29 pm

I agree to this in a certain way- I agree that while butchering animals and daily tasks do not seem to give much of a reward as much time as it takes to do them (Which arguably becomes a matter of staring at ~100 animals lined up and loathing the process of organizing the proceeds and sausagizing them.), it is difficult whether or not it should really be made any easier.

Haven should definitely be time consuming- there is no value in the life of a character or city if you have not either spent #1. money or #2. time on it (In this case, both.)

Without a sense of value to those items the concept of permadeath becomes rather pointless (Why would I care about death if I can just make a new character and a base and grind back up in no time?). Though I know that's not your suggestion, but I feel it's good to outline the extreme opinion.

There should be a sense of value in order for players to care- Death should not be an inconvenience, it should by all means feel horrible. This is both to discourage killing (For those that do have a moral compass like me, the desire to kill another person certainly has to be strong enough, otherwise they won't do it. Alternatively, if someone views you as a murderer, you quickly become more cautious and wary of your own death in retaliation.) and emphasize the value placed.

If day to day tasks are made simpler and easier, then suddenly there is a lower sense of value in, well, everything. All characters become simpler to grind and create, bases are quicker to establish, etc etc.

Not only this, but once your daily tasks are done- there is nothing more. Currently the staple "activity" things to do are mine and hunt- there is not much room to do anything else. If those things become faster and simpler, then most people would finish their acts, get bored and possibly become discouraged to do anything else/play since, well, there is nothing else to do.

Then again, that is sort of a global issue right now. When at peace, the only thing to do in this game is grow and watch numbers get higher and higher- what else should one do? When the strongest animal ingame (bears) become such a commonplace prey, what else have you to triumph? (Aside other players, if that's how you roll)
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby borka » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Haba wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:Surely there is more to the game than quality grind and character grind

No, there isn't.

There are ... opinions ...
borka

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas