Curiousity Alter

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Curiousity Alter

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:15 pm

Increase curio yield and study time by 25x.

I don't have any better ideas except finding a way to block autostudy.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby DaniAngione » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:20 pm

venatorvenator wrote:I don't have any better ideas except finding a way to block autostudy.

"If you can't fight it, incorporate it" I guess that's the overall feeling behind this thread and why something like an altar was suggested.

I don't like it either, as Jorb said, I'd rather see the whole system reworked in a way where this wouldn't be an issue.
But since rethinking the whole curio system certainly demands a lot of thought & time, I suppose more simple and immediate (let's say... temporary) adaptations like vanilla/offline support for "auto-study" is our best shot to keep things more or less balanced.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:23 pm

I know solution.
Lets add so you have to type captcha every time you put curiosity in!
Something like this:

"Oh so you want to put new conecow in study? In that case.. Fill all these riddles below and click ok, then wait 20 seconds for confirmation and you can put conecow in."
Seriously, captchas would solve this.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DaniAngione » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:33 pm

shubla wrote:I know solution.
Something like this:

"Oh so you want to put new conecow in study? In that case.. Fill all these riddles below and click ok, then wait 20 seconds for confirmation and you can put conecow in."

As crazy as this sounds, I actually like the captcha idea. :lol: :lol:

I mean, it's not like no one has ever done it. Several games are using captcha (or other variations) to detect AFK players, private Ultima Online servers were using random "type this number!" pop-ups 10 years ago to prevent macroers, etc...

I like the idea of having to complete a captcha when you put a curiosity in the study (but it could work like "opening" a 5 minute window to add other curios as well so you don't have to type 54 captchas in a row when filling your study)
Sounds a bit cheesy or invasive... but I'd rather have a fairer game/less bots with a few invasive measures than what we have now :P
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:10 pm

DaniAngione wrote:
venatorvenator wrote:I don't have any better ideas except finding a way to block autostudy.

"If you can't fight it, incorporate it" I guess that's the overall feeling behind this thread and why something like an altar was suggested.

I don't like it either, as Jorb said, I'd rather see the whole system reworked in a way where this wouldn't be an issue.
But since rethinking the whole curio system certainly demands a lot of thought & time, I suppose more simple and immediate (let's say... temporary) adaptations like vanilla/offline support for "auto-study" is our best shot to keep things more or less balanced.

I think my suggestion of increasing study time and output 25x would make autostudy almost irrelevant. It's quicker to implement, doesn't require them to mess with code, and it's already balanced.

Captchas were proposed before and devs said they weren't elegant. Instead, minigames are slightly better, but still bad enough.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:32 pm

venatorvenator wrote:
DaniAngione wrote:

I think my suggestion of increasing study time and output 25x would make autostudy almost irrelevant. It's quicker to implement, doesn't require them to mess with code, and it's already balanced..

I wouldn't say that is balanced... One great thing about the curio system is the economic sink it provides, which would be decreased by 25x.
_Gunnar

Postby sabinati » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:35 pm

they should just make them like inspirationals in salem, remove the timers and balance it instead by some other means.
sabinati

Postby overtyped » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:58 pm

shubla wrote:I know solution.
Something like this:

This captcha thing is actually a great idea. If you type it in, you can put any and all curios in for an hour.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Kirby254 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:09 pm

Please don't put garbage captcha in this game It is already not a user friendly game, that would just be another nail in the coffin. This isn't even a real problem, cause curious to give more lp and cost more experience to use. Then we will have to actively trigger events to earn the exp to use the curios. Or just make more exp events and keep the amount of lp the same.
Kirby254

Postby evangili » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:19 pm

well, even though i have a free acc, i would totally agree with spending 10 secs to type the capcha (pls one capcha that refreshes every 10 mins when studying curio) to prevent falling TOO MUCH behind in comparison to '24/7 on' subscribers with custom clients.
evangili

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas