Experience pop-ups/experience journal

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Experience pop-ups/experience journal

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Some days ago I got one in the middle of combat. I usually drop the items I'm holding when I try to close the screen, including on water. The pop-up alarm also breaks the immersion of exploring quietly and just listening to ambient sounds.

My suggestion is to substitute pop-ups for entries in your experience journal. When you receive an experience, you would just get a marker on your screen - which therefore would not disrupt your other tasks -, but you could click on it later and see what it was.

The journal part is there because I don't think people care to read pop-ups right now. I believe this is mostly because XP messages are, currently, just an annoyance that has to closed as quickly as possible, so they don't read them. By putting them in a journal some of us would actually pay them the attention they deserve. I don't think many of us even noticed the new experiences.

Also, please increase pop-up/journal entry font size.
Last edited by venatorvenator on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Re: Experience pop-ups/experience journal

Postby sabinati » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:27 pm

good idea.
sabinati

Postby romovs » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:38 pm

I for one quiet enjoy reading new lores. Although it does get annoying to see already learned events each time so perhaps only new events should have a popup window, but disabling it altogether is a bad idea.
romovs

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Well, I think it's a brilliant idea, I also like reading the lore experiences but not when they pop up on screen when I'm busy doing something else, as Ven says they can be extremely inconvenient at times.

A journal detailing them is a lovely idea and ofc they are still there to read and enjoy.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Redlaw » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:46 pm

There is already a list of the ones you have seen in game. Find it in the character sheet, read as you please.
Redlaw

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Redlaw wrote:There is already a list of the ones you have seen in game. Find it in the character sheet, read as you please.

Actually I had forgotten about that and have just read through them now, so yes a journal isn't really needed. Even so, pop ups are still annoying, so this then;

When you receive an experience, you would just get a marker on your screen - which therefore would not disrupt your other tasks -, but you could click on it later and see what it was.

:)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby burgingham » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:58 pm

Redlaw wrote:There is already a list of the ones you have seen in game. Find it in the character sheet, read as you please.

This is about pop ups mid combat that might kill you in a bad moment. I am all for the suggestion.
burgingham

Postby venatorvenator » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:12 pm

I know, but it's badly formatted and unappealing. The suggestion was to improve that by adding a journal and also to remove pop-ups. Just removing the pop-ups would make experiences completely meaningless. It would also be fine if new experiences could only be received after you clicked on the notification markers too, as as to avoid chain XP exploits.

I've mentioned before that I really like them, they make the game less dry and grindy. But it needs some improvement.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Return to Critique & Ideas