smelting anvil

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

smelting anvil

Postby nuker22110 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:47 am

Since anvils are apparently just a giant chunk of metal, would it be possible for us to resmelt anvils for like a reduced amount of materials back?
nuker22110

Re: smelting anvil

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:48 am

General problem with specifying and tracking the resources you would be getting back. Not a priority.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Vigilance » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Why couldn't it just be the material cost of the anvil with the anvil's quality?

ie, 5 bars of the exact ql of the anvil?
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Bars of what metal?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby sabinati » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:17 pm

Hard metal
sabinati

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Not saying it couldn't be defined. Merely pointing out that it has to be. Defined, maintained, tracked, &c.

jorb

Postby endiron » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 pm

jorb wrote:Not saying it couldn't be defined. Merely pointing out that it has to be. Defined, maintained, tracked, &c.

jorb, I agree that it would be a bit of a hassle to do that, both code & serverwise.

I suggested something a while back to remedy that (Thread here) which basically consists of having destroyed objects have an un-formula that is hardcoded into their object type. The produced items from destroying a construction would be 1/2 (or some other arbitrary fraction) of the objects overall quality to prevent reckless deconstruction without penalty.

It would be a tradeoff of adding a few (8 foreseen) assets of generic "broken", or otherwise damaged items to account for the many different varities of items being implemented. The new item types would be there to prevent the whole problem of keeping track & having the server store individual item types & qualities for thousands & thousands of objects.

In the case of the anvil, it would be deconstructed into several "Tarnished" ingots, the generic deconstructed stand-in for hard metal, at 1/2 (or again, whatever the fraction you want) quality of the anvil itself.

Maybe with the advent of wood & stone variety, there could be a set of resources dedicated to desconstruction. As not to make this too unrealistic, deconstructing an item would tear it up a bit. So, any material input would result in materials 1/2 the quality of the structure when deconstructed, as well as recieving a new generic, shitty type of material so the unique input types wouldn't need to be stored, nor their quality.

For the new item types there could be a few:

Plank Input > Decon > Splintered Plank (at 1/2 quality of structure)
Wood Block Input > Decon > Battered Block (at 1/2 quality of structure)
Hard Metal Input > Decon > Tarnished Nugget/Ingot (at 1/2 quality of structure -- Hard Metal stand-in that can't be re-smelted, but can be crucibled to smaller/bigger parts)
Common Metal Input > Decon > Brittle Nugget/Ingot (at 1/2 blahblah -- Common Metal stand-in that can't be re-smelted, but can be crucibled to smaller/bigger parts)
Stone > Decon > Crumbling Stone (at 1/2 quality of structure)
Raw Clay > Decon > Flaky Clay (at 1/2 quality of structure)
Bricks > Decon > Cracked Brick (at 1/2 quality)
String/Fiber > Decon > Frayed Cord (You get the idea)

And generics like Branches could be as is (at 1/2 quality)

So, I figure there's a way to make it work. This adjustment would decrease the ability and incentive to just disassemble and rebuild things on a whim, as you'll get worse materials realistically.

Also, with the new skills that improve collection of materials and soforth, another good idea that ties into this is a skill that would be something like "Careful Disassembly" which would cost the usual buttload of LP, but when a character with this skill deconstructs, the quality is improved to 2/3 of the deconstructed structure.
endiron

Location: Sipping from a coconut with a little umbrella while the hole in my palisade is breached

Postby Vigilance » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:19 pm

actually a really good idea. nice.
Vigilance

Postby Granger » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Deconstruction material at is a nice idea, but the problem is that you could raise components in quality, even when it is halved. So to get this right the game would need to track the quality per component to make it unexploitable, especially in very early and late worlds.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Vigilance » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:58 pm

i don't see how that makes sense, granger. if a number is halved, how does it raise?
Vigilance

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas