Sparring equipment

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Sparring equipment

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Boxing gloves: cloth: -10000str, -10000con, -30*sqrt(sqrt(q*str)/10) damage to UA moves
Sparring sword: 5 sticks: -10000str, -10000con, 16*sqrt(sqrt(q*str)/10) damage
Sparring chest armour: 1 board: 1*sqrt(ess/10) deflection
" helm: 1 board: 1*sqrt(ess/10) deflection
" boots: 1 board: 1*sqrt(ess/10) deflection
" greaves: 1 board: 1*sqrt(ess/10) deflection

I think this equipment gives you options to set the proportion of total hp (31 @ 1con) that each chop/cleave does with quite a lot of freedom in your spars. Of course, maybe these will have to change with the upcoming combat changes ;)
_Gunnar

Re: Sparring equipment

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:53 pm

no
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:53 pm

Any actual critique? :p
_Gunnar

Postby Granger » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:55 am

When sparring you already can't take damage.
The values you listed are off the map.
The formulas you listed look like you never put any numbers in them to test if they actually would work.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Original » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:39 am

The entire purpose of sparring is to simulate combat without actually being at risk of dying. Its to see which combat moves and decks work best before getting into the shit. Its basically practice pvp.

And you want to make something completely retarded out of that?

No thanks.
Original

Postby spectacle » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:11 am

Have you guys who dislike this suggestion ever actually sparred? Sparring may not damage hearthlings but it still causes permanent damage to armor, and armor is expensive. Sparring without armor is just lol, the tactics you learn that way are useless in real combat where armor will block all UA damage.

_Gunnar's numbers may be a bit random but the basic idea is sound and would make sparring a lot more meaningful.
Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A Social History of Planet"
spectacle

Postby pedorlee » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:25 am

spectacle wrote:Have you guys who dislike this suggestion ever actually sparred? Sparring may not damage hearthlings but it still causes permanent damage to armor, and armor is expensive. Sparring without armor is just lol, the tactics you learn that way are useless in real combat where armor will block all UA damage.

_Gunnar's numbers may be a bit random but the basic idea is sound and would make sparring a lot more meaningful.

Exactly. Gunnar formulas might be wrong but what hes saying is right. Our armour gets damaged during sparring, so sparring equipment is its logic solution. Because that damage can be solved by removing it, but sparring equipment gives a lot of context and it can lead to sparring tournaments or things yet to come.

Ie : sparring shield with the logo of the faction the fighter is representing in a tournament among villages. This is money jorfsss.
pedorlee

Postby _Gunnar » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:12 pm

The idea is that you can control the q of the stuff quite easily, in a real fight ua moves will do no damage, hence the negative damage.
The -con is so that each character has 31hp
The sparring sword - well, its true, I made a mistake, the damage should be a little higher because you have 1 strength, so multiplying by 10^0.25 should work I believe.
The idea is that it takes 2 chops to down you and 1 cleave with a q10 sword. You can change this by using varying numbers of higher q sticks in your sword.
I dont see the problem with the armour. The idea is to change 2 to n in the above line, which is clearly possible with varying number of pieces this armour since you can make reasonable q boards quite easily.

Granger wrote:When sparring you already can't take damage.
The values you listed are off the map.
The formulas you listed look like you never put any numbers in them to test if they actually would work.

How are they off the map? The only mistake I made was that sword damage should be 16*(10^0.25)*sqrt(sqrt(q*str)/10) damage instead, lol. See above.

Original wrote:The entire purpose of sparring is to simulate combat without actually being at risk of dying. Its to see which combat moves and decks work best before getting into the shit. Its basically practice pvp.

And you want to make something completely retarded out of that?

No thanks.

The idea is to simulate pvp much better, I don't know what exactly you're saying is retarded ^^

spectacle wrote:Have you guys who dislike this suggestion ever actually sparred? Sparring may not damage hearthlings but it still causes permanent damage to armor, and armor is expensive. Sparring without armor is just lol, the tactics you learn that way are useless in real combat where armor will block all UA damage.

Thanks. I'm not sure how the numbers are random though, but I'm glad at least 1 person understood the idea! I hate sparring without armour, since stuff like punch does a significant proportion of the damage in the end, which would never happen in a real fight.
_Gunnar

Postby Granger » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:45 pm

It should be easier to pester Jorb and Loftar to make armor wearless in spar instead of getting them to create new items...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby _Gunnar » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:56 pm

Granger wrote:It should be easier to pester Jorb and Loftar to make armor wearless in spar instead of getting them to create new items...

That could potentially be a difficult problem, which could require rewriting the whole way sparring (or, alternatively, armour) works. At least I'm assuming so since it hasnt happened... That has been suggested many times before to no avail.

For example there are issues like: if I spar my buddy while we are fighting someone/an animal for real, can he damage our armour?
I'm not saying its not possible, but this is a way of doing it that may require a less fundamental rewrite ^^

I notice you didn't explain why you thought my formulae were garbage :p
_Gunnar

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas