W9 Siege System

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

W9 Siege System

Postby jorb » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Megathread for discussing the new World 9 siege system.

We have no idea what it is we have implemented, and need feedback.

Please keep your posts informed and meaningful.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: W9 Siege System

Postby Bowshot125 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:09 pm

Im going to bash your shield Jorbtar, AND I believe the siege will go well. We just have to experience it.
Bowshot125

Postby vatas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:10 pm

My guess is that most problems will be related to people making layered bases that take too long to breach.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby APXEOLOG » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:14 pm

29 hours of continuous siege. Even worse then we have now :)

Actually i have a lot to say, but first of all i want to test it in real life. I think arguments are better then pointless ideas.
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby shubla » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Too early to say if its good or bad as we dont even know materials for building catapults
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby evilboy666 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Lets just get together and live in a one big village peacefully so J&Lo can't get any feedback :twisted:
evilboy666

Postby Orcling » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Curtain walls here we come.
Orcling

Postby lachlaan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Proposed issue #1 , layered bases / curtain walls. Proposed solution? What's the minimum distance pclaims can have between one another? Can't donut with pclaims if there IS a minimum distance, just make it so people can't unnecessarily donut with vclaims.
lachlaan

Postby rye130 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:32 pm

lachlaan wrote:Proposed issue #1 , layered bases / curtain walls. Proposed solution? What's the minimum distance pclaims can have between one another? Can't donut with pclaims if there IS a minimum distance, just make it so people can't unnecessarily donut with vclaims.

There is already a minimum distance between claims of the same type. 5 tiles I believe. Donut villages will always be possible, bigger minimum distance between them just makes it require a larger village to do so. The real, long term solution is making it so that maintain a village/pclaim isn't quite as trivial. If it was only possible for me to maintain 1 village, I couldn't abuse multiple to get an advantage.
rye130

Postby LadyGoo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:34 pm

My ordinary SWO:

Strengths:
- The catapults are a start of active and dynamic siege;
- Village shields (if rams have to affect it as well) removes the need to check for rams, thanks god! Potentially, you could right-click on the earth and find out, whether you are being sieged;
- No motivation to siege noob villages;
- Reasonably easy to defend the village;
- Defenders can send nidbanes to assist them!
- No palibashers

Weaknesses:
- People can still carry stuff out using charter stones (using inner idol and etc.). Therefore, attackers will be more inclined to level the village to 0;
- People will have to build several plots and maintain a few village idols within 1 village. As an example, my people had such a village structure in W7. We had a village idol for a separate "main" plot, and outer village for other plots, serving as a shield (they were initially meant for noobs).
- Rams are basically the same as in the previous world. If they are affected by the Shields, then they won't be used, since they dry longer and can be destroyed easier, have to built closer to a village wall and etc.
- Catapults of the offensive side could be broken by the defenders easily: they have the luxury to chose the time when to attack, gather people, equip their alts with armor and make farmers to use them to scare the enemy and etc.
- No palibashers

Opportunities:
- Devs could back-up the recent change to rams in order to make the siege more dynamic (rams being undestructable for some amount of hours before being moved).
- More situative siege engines and ways to sabotage, as well as defensive measures could make the sieging more interesting and fun, even if it would take a week or so.
- A village with a broken shield could loose the visitor buff + all the doors could be opened. This could compensate the Charter Stone "abuse". Otherwise people will never attempt to raid big villages with plot-based system and switch their attention to smaller villages they could raid. Or the siege will be dead, basically.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas