W9 Siege System

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: W9 Siege System

Postby Vert » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:54 pm

they change village and siege from another village
Vert

Postby algorithm » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Vert wrote:they change village and siege from another village

Its hard to siege good village, since they should pay for it with mightness. And to get enough mightness you need to do a lot of infrastructure like statues and etc. it will cost you enough time and sources. And after an attack you can loose it easely becouse of empty shield.
algorithm wrote:Cape awarded? ;)

jorb wrote:Oh, for sure. Delivery 2022. ;)
algorithm

Postby ZeraTustrA » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Vert wrote:they change village and siege from another village

Yes, they can. But you also can pay to mercenaries and fight with attackers
Aka Tzar
w7 Ebenople
w8 Ebenople
w9 New Ebenople>Amish Paradise
w10 Amish Paradise > Maid Cafe > ...?

#makeforagegreatagain
ZeraTustrA

Postby riker88 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:39 pm

I would like to see bases get broken into more easily , battering rams, wrecking balls etc should be able to take down a pallisade in an hour or two. Only being able to damage a certain number of HP per hour from the claim shield I think discourages people. I think it would make the game more fun for raiders.

However I would also like to see defensive options such as automated archer towers or something that defending players can build to defend their bases. Also, some type of justice system so smaller players had a way to strike back at larger players who raided their base. The nidbanes are a good idea.
riker88

Postby LadyGoo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:37 pm

I was wondering whether hafen truly needs the sieges:
- nowadays, unless due to a betrayal, you won't be able to gain any valuable loot from a siege. The owners will always have time to transport the items and livestock via other gates, teleports, underground level of their villages and etc;
- people do not dare to siege an equal opponent: enemy can gather a blob of alts and mains/multiple opposing factions might unite to destroy you and etc.; too much time to spend and extremely high level of commitment required; people do not siege day by day and prefer to do the siege in 1 go, since there is a little difference whether you're sieging for 60000 or 30000. Doing less than 25000 dmg per day won't get you any closer to finishing the siege + the danger of getting ambushed by a blob is bigger.

As a result, the majority of the people settle to sieging resource nodes, hermitages, insignificant cities with low activity. On the other hand, the stress from the need to check the village every 8-12 hours is still present. That makes the game quite stressful and a lot of people will be hesitant to commit due to the stress associated with the constant siege checks.

IMHO, people shouldn't be penalized for not logging in for a day or two. Consequently, the siege overhaul might/should consider the next points:
- people should be able to somehow "build up" additional shield hp if they're planning not to log in for some time;
- settlements should be much harder to raid than unoccupied forts for resources claiming;
- battles for the regions and territories should become a thing, instead of destroying the whole civilizations at once. I can see it as some minimaps having certain regional bonuses and Kingdom cairns requiring authority and a lot of res to build, opposing to the current system. Making something else as valuable as raiding a base.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Dixel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:09 am

LadyGoo wrote:IMHO, people shouldn't be penalized for not logging in for a day or two. Consequently, the siege overhaul might/should consider the next points:
- people should be able to somehow "build up" additional shield hp if they're planning not to log in for some time;
- settlements should be much harder to raid than unoccupied forts for resources claiming;
- battles for the regions and territories should become a thing, instead of destroying the whole civilizations at once. I can see it as some minimaps having certain regional bonuses and Kingdom cairns requiring authority and a lot of res to build, opposing to the current system. Making something else as valuable as raiding a base.

+1
specially to the regional bonuses... kinda like civilization resource tiles....
Dixel

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:14 am

People place too much value on these static monoliths they call villages, which are in reality nothing more than production infrastructure and reasonably replaced if given opportunity to flee.

As Aeneas led the surviving Trojans to found Rome, only after they lost their city in a siege to the Greeks, so to can Hearthlanders.

Building cities is one of the most fun parts of HnH.
Sitting there and managing production grind in a "finished" city isn't.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:People place too much value on these static monoliths they call villages, which are in reality nothing more than production infrastructure and reasonably replaced if given opportunity to flee.

As Aeneas led the surviving Trojans to found Rome, only after they lost their city in a siege to the Greeks, so to can Hearthlanders.

Building cities is one of the most fun parts of HnH.

I would agree, but if that was the case people would spend less time building really cool and pretty things. Instead the world is just littered with outposts upon outposts. Which are not only not fun to look at, but also to maintain. You have to have a lawspeaker alt for every village, there's no "alliance" mechanic to allow for this. It just makes gameplay clunky, and less fun.
DDDsDD999

Postby LadyGoo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:People place too much value on these static monoliths they call villages
You cannot separate hafen and the people. I mean, designers all around the world design for the people without trying to oppose their nature.

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:Building cities is one of the most fun parts of HnH.
The cities in Hafen never finish building or being re-built. The civilizations fall and rebuild somewhere else because there are not enough people to maintain the bigger village and etc.

Dixel wrote:specially to the regional bonuses... kinda like civilization resource tiles....
I kind of miss the times when we would have a great deal of diplomacy, Game of Thrones kind of things happening around the resourse nodes that could be easily griefed. Factions would really have to have some sort of agreements and rules, instead of current rase everything you see kind of thing.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Granger » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:00 am

LadyGoo wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:People place too much value on these static monoliths they call villages
I mean, designers all around the world design for the people without trying to oppose their nature.
Looking at the design(ers) that gave us car centric cities (and how big of a clusterfuck from an health standpoint, thus how far away from 'peoples nature', these setups are) I would say that this argument dosn't look convincing.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas