W9 Siege System

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: W9 Siege System

Postby Granger » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:19 pm

1k tiles distance would be a good load of banners to go around, and it would certainly suck should the corresponding idol go *poof* for trying to exploit in this way.

In case you have a plan that works to prevent building donuts around other claims - or maybe even in general, so claimed lakes or private hunting grounds would be a thing of that past too (it might suck should one not be able to claim the wall first and the interior of a village later, but this tradeoff should be worth it) - I would say to go for it.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:42 pm

Well, yeah, sure. Arguably, if the algorithm I presented actually works, there's probably no harm in applying it, since then you at least actually to have to claim the entire area and then hollow it out, which is an effort that scales with the area of the desired hollow, rather than its circumference.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Granger » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:07 am

After having thought about it: your algorithm will work to disable building hollow stuff, and it won't be in the way to replace broken banners inside a claimed area - unless you manage to break all banners around the idol, then it would block and you would be unable to rebuild them without destroying the outer ring (or a good part of it).

So my suggestion is to implement a second check, only taken in case the first test fails and there are exactly two partitions: test both of them for being connected to the idol, xor results of both and allow if true. This would enable reconnection of disconnected areas while disallowing creation of rings.

Combine with my suggested check on idol activation for being surrounded (plus the falling sky on circumventing it) and the game should be in a better state than before.
Granger

Postby loftar » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:18 am

Granger wrote:test both of them for being connected to the idol

Well, the problem with that is that such a check would require global knowledge of the entire village claim, which could potentially need to load whoknowshow much additional map. And either way, I think I'd be fine with a completely disconnected part of the village to be effectively dead for reconnection.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Granger » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:24 am

loftar wrote:
Granger wrote:test both of them for being connected to the idol

Well, the problem with that is that such a check would require global knowledge of the entire village claim, which could potentially need to load whoknowshow much additional map. And either way, I think I'd be fine with a completely disconnected part of the village to be effectively dead for reconnection.

Please rethink, since this would open a griefing ability that would completely suck.
Granger

Postby Pickard » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 am

I wanted to make village idol on my plot to to build plot charter. Before village shield news.
Now you suggest this nonsense ideas to fix inherently flawed system.
Good job.

1k tiles? I need only 25 idols to secure my supergrid? Nice. ¦]
w15 Trust me bro w14 Arcanum w13 Arcanum w12 Action w11 Willowroot w10 Dis w9 Hive w8 Core w7 H.A.W.X/Progress w6 Dis/Disneyland w5 Peace/Late Project
Pickard

Postby Granger » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:50 pm

And how do you plan to do that?

You can't plant idols in the way that their area touches of overlaps, so you can't plant them to deny access to your plot.
Granger

Postby Pickard » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Granger wrote:And how do you plan to do that?

You can't plant idols in the way that their area touches of overlaps, so you can't plant them to deny access to your plot.

Its simple :)

PS: I didnt say I want protect plot walls with additional idol. I just want my own charter.
w15 Trust me bro w14 Arcanum w13 Arcanum w12 Action w11 Willowroot w10 Dis w9 Hive w8 Core w7 H.A.W.X/Progress w6 Dis/Disneyland w5 Peace/Late Project
Pickard

Postby Granger » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:20 pm

So, where is the problem with that?

Someone with some catapults come by and can destroy the shield over the pclaim, then the village claim shield is ineffective.

We discussed that you use another village around your real village (or even more layers), to get multiple shields...
Granger

Siege System: W9 Even Harder?

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:34 pm

Ram in previous worlds: Drop and come back within 24 hours, defend as you like.

Catapult: 6 hour dry period, a minimum of 20 hours of supervision for firing and 20 repair periods. So, 26 hour minimum with players being required to supervise (at least partially) 20 of them.

Unlikely that we are going to see regional resource nodes change hands when you need to effectively camp them for so long.
Robben_DuMarsch

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas