W9 Siege System

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: W9 Siege System

Postby Ysh » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:52 pm

Zeler wrote:I wouldn't say that it punishes someone for being offline. It's rather promoting attacking when someone is online.

Also, the drying time could be calculated when finishing buildin.

But it's just a loose idea, something to maybe help devs grasp on the subject.

Totally I am no saying it cannot be an idea for good. I think I make no conclusion with my posting. I just point out some benefit and some drawback. I think I am not sure about the overall yet. Maybe it can be a worthy to exploring idea.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby nytro » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:54 pm

DanteThanatos wrote:+1 on Ysh's idea
It makes sense to me in a larpy way because of the dreams you need to invest in the claim. Like a spiritual totem.

But but... It was my idea ;_;

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=46809&start=70#p626615
nytro

Postby Kruzminator » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:47 pm

I had a few less friendly encounters these last days that made me think a bit on the siege system.

I attacked and was attacked, and both failed. they destroyed our rams/catapults while we were offline and we destroyed theirs (along with their characters). The problem was that everyone found out about the attack way before it was ready.

I understand how waiting times are important to give defenders a possibility to be around and defend or negotiate peace. However they really need to be speeded up

My suggestion is to consider adding dynamic waiting times that would vary if the defenders are online or not.

For instance, a ram takes 24 hours to dry if the villager are all offline, however this time would go faster depending on the amount of defenders that were online (or inside the village's claim) once rams/catapults were set in place. This way if defenders decided to just hide/destroy valuable items they would have less time to do so. Besides, if attackers hide their rams/catapults well, they also benefit from it. Plus, instead of you trying to find the correct waiting times that would make everyone happy, each player influences that said time. It becomes more dynamic and I think the feeling of a sort of doomsday clock on your head should give you a nice rush. =)

This could unlock many other features like a sort of lighthouse where villagers could enter and be online without interfering with waiting times and call for help from their allies.

I am not sure how fast it should be or if it could really work out (that's something for you guys to think about =) ) but I haven't seen a reason not to do it this way yet. I

Feel free to criticise (constructively).
Kruzminator

Postby Kruzminator » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Was my idea so terrible than didnt deserve not even one reply?

Ok... I'll stop trying. =(
Kruzminator

Postby fuinharlz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:29 am

Kruzminator wrote:I had a few less friendly encounters these last days that made me think a bit on the siege system.

I attacked and was attacked, and both failed. they destroyed our rams/catapults while we were offline and we destroyed theirs (along with their characters). The problem was that everyone found out about the attack way before it was ready.

I understand how waiting times are important to give defenders a possibility to be around and defend or negotiate peace. However they really need to be speeded up

My suggestion is to consider adding dynamic waiting times that would vary if the defenders are online or not.

For instance, a ram takes 24 hours to dry if the villager are all offline, however this time would go faster depending on the amount of defenders that were online (or inside the village's claim) once rams/catapults were set in place. This way if defenders decided to just hide/destroy valuable items they would have less time to do so. Besides, if attackers hide their rams/catapults well, they also benefit from it. Plus, instead of you trying to find the correct waiting times that would make everyone happy, each player influences that said time. It becomes more dynamic and I think the feeling of a sort of doomsday clock on your head should give you a nice rush. =)

This could unlock many other features like a sort of lighthouse where villagers could enter and be online without interfering with waiting times and call for help from their allies.

I am not sure how fast it should be or if it could really work out (that's something for you guys to think about =) ) but I haven't seen a reason not to do it this way yet. I

Feel free to criticise (constructively).

Problem on that: players of village being sieged would massivelly go off-line, and come online on non-oathed alts to check things or even non-oathed combat/vandal alts to wreck things/attackers.
fuinharlz

Postby Kruzminator » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:56 pm

well but that is just what we would want... once the attack has been found they need to react, and rapidly. Whether by bringing alts out onto the battle or use the mains to bash the attackers it doesn't really matter.

Another solution to avoid alt abusing in this situation would to put a warning saying "you are being attacked" as soon as you log in and from the moment you login the time starts to decrease faster.
Kruzminator

Postby riker88 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:39 am

I want to see a defensive weapon that a village under siege can use against it's attackers. maybe a catapult , or giant crossbow. Something you could shoot over your wall at attacking players.. It would mimic many large scale battles we have seen in the movies. The weapon can injure or even kill attacking players...

Also attacking players can construct similar weapons and shoot objects over the defenders wall with a chance of damaging or destroying structures inside the base as well as kill any defending players that are out in the open..
riker88

Postby stya » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:42 am

riker88 wrote:I want to see a defensive weapon that a village under siege can use against it's attackers. maybe a catapult , or giant crossbow. Something you could shoot over your wall at attacking players.. It would mimic many large scale battles we have seen in the movies. The weapon can injure or even kill attacking players...

Also attacking players can construct similar weapons and shoot objects over the defenders wall with a chance of damaging or destroying structures inside the base as well as kill any defending players that are out in the open..

That exists already, it's called catapult... useless necro.
stya

Postby Beezer12Washingbeard » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:43 am

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a "Salt the Earth" mechanic. It'd probably have to be a Vandalism act, at least. But in the spirit of bastardry and spite, it should totally be possible to siege someone's village and then salt their farmland so nothing can grow on it for a long, long time. It'd probably have to be resource-expensive to discourage abuse (and really drive home the "fuck you" when someone goes to the trouble of doing it)
Beezer12Washingbeard

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 am

Beezer12Washingbeard wrote:I'm kinda surprised there isn't a "Salt the Earth" mechanic. It'd probably have to be a Vandalism act, at least. But in the spirit of bastardry and spite, it should totally be possible to siege someone's village and then salt their farmland so nothing can grow on it for a long, long time. It'd probably have to be resource-expensive to discourage abuse (and really drive home the "fuck you" when someone goes to the trouble of doing it)

I find resource cost not a good restriction as high level factions are most likely going to be hitting the cost easier; it is not a matter of if they can afford the cost, but when. You'd have to kind of push the cost to border-line or even beyond impractical.
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas