Tedium, a Feature

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Tedium, a Feature

Postby wilkesbooth » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:29 pm

tbh I wish I was dead after reading this. Someone toss me a rope.
wilkesbooth

Postby Onep » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:09 pm

wilkesbooth wrote:tbh I wish I was dead after reading this. Someone toss me a rope.

Nooses have yet to be implemented, disappointingly.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:45 pm

At this point, I'd welcome any feature to combat botting, and therefore wholeheartedly support this.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Ysh » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:At this point, I'd welcome any feature to combat botting, and therefore wholeheartedly support this.

Disable server will kill all bot forever.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby MrPunchers » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:12 pm

Ysh wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:At this point, I'd welcome any feature to combat botting, and therefore wholeheartedly support this.

This.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby uroyoan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Onep wrote:An alternative to the Intensity system certain tasks could also give you negative tedium modifiers, for instance:
If you were to spend all your time mining you'd eventually get a debuff like "Cave-touched: you yearn for the kiss of sun on flesh. The endless mines weaken your resolve..." This debuff could give you a negative modifier to your smithing and stength. Another debuff could be "Weaver's Wrist: a fire burns in your hands. Perhaps the wheel should lay still..." This one could reduce your sewing and dexterity. I feel like these debuffs would create an opportunity for some creative descriptions and immersion.

Most of my time in haven (before hafen) was spent as a hermit, so I lack experience to tell you how this would affect a village.
From my experience This is what I would do every time I connected into the game:
1. place curios in my study.
2. Farm.
3. Mine and smelt.
4. Collect more curios and hunt then place in my cupboard.
5. Farm some more.
5. build things(walls or whatever).

This was all with one character. I never did make alts other than a gatekeeper to hold my keys.
Personally I agree with the debuff that players would attain from doing the same task over and over again. As a hermit I found that I never did do the same task over and over all day. But I would cycle my activities and had a set routine whenever I was a hermit. Plus now that we have questing, this would fight off against tedium even more, and questing is something anyone can do.

Onep wrote:Another interesting interaction this could add is suicide and suicide prevention. Hearthlings would be able to craft nooses from rope. And a Hearthling that has dangerously low Tedium would be easily tempted to hang himself. So say, if you're going through your cupboards and stumble upon a rope while low Tedium, there'd be a suicide check. If the Hearthling fails the suicide check the player will lose control of their Hearthling and he will begin to craft a noose and build the courage to end it all. To prevent this, the Hearthling would have to reach out to nearby kin in an effort to save him. This would foster players to befriend each other, lest they be driven to end it all. This could also be used offensively. You could leave nooses laying outside your enemies village and tempt them if they let their Tedium drop too low.

I do not agree to this, this will force Hermits to go and make alts to stop that 1% suicide chance that you would get for playing or doing the same task for 30 minutes. I do not agree with the suicide option at all.

+1 tedium to cause debuffs.
-1 to suicide the player.
uroyoan

Postby MadNomad » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Ysh wrote:

+1 couldn't think of a better way to take care of this problem
MadNomad

Postby NOOBY93 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

They already implemented this feature, it's called food satiations and hunger (but salt exists because uh....), but I don't hang myself ingame, I hang myself IRL
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas