newbie respect

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: newbie respect

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:04 am

DaniAngione wrote:Perhaps instead of blocking PVP or something they could have a 'buff' that prevents them from losing their last HHP point. So they can be knocked down, expelled from claims, etc... but can't be killed.

I think living with 99 damage wretched gore as a noob is just a trap. You're better off just killing yourself.
DDDsDD999

Postby dageir » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:22 am

How big a problem is is being killed within the first hours of play?
Is this prevalent or is it just a theoretical problem?
dageir

Postby DaniAngione » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:35 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:
DaniAngione wrote:Perhaps instead of blocking PVP or something they could have a 'buff' that prevents them from losing their last HHP point. So they can be knocked down, expelled from claims, etc... but can't be killed.

I think living with 99 damage wretched gore as a noob is just a trap. You're better off just killing yourself.

True. I may have expressed myself wrongly by saying HHP though. I didn't mean permanent damage to it.. more like they can't take any HHP damage (from players) then. So they can be KO'd but not killed :D
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Zeler » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:57 am

DaniAngione wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:

True. I may have expressed myself wrongly by saying HHP though. I didn't mean permanent damage to it.. more like they can't take any HHP damage (from players) then. So they can be KO'd but not killed :D

Massive wall of unmovable alts? Sounds great! +1
Zeler

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:00 am

Essentially the problems with a mechanics to protect newbies will also be exploited by players to make alts that obstruct others unless there is counter-measure.
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

Postby Granger » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Of course, the buff wouldn't protect against drowning or starvation :P

And it shouldn't be determined by quests. More like by time (a week at maximum) AND it will go away if the character buys Rage, Trespassing or Yeomanry.

Sounds more reasonable.
But would need the ability to lift knocked-out people (or is it possible again, didn't knock out anyone for some years?)...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby pedorlee » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:36 pm

Patchouli_Knowledge wrote:Essentially the problems with a mechanics to protect newbies will also be exploited by players to make alts that obstruct others unless there is counter-measure.

This could be solved adding a new skill called pushing or something like this.
Ie: While equiped with a frying pan you can catapult freshly spawned chars in a good area about 20 or 30 tiles away randomly.
This way you avoid vets trolling and you can also have some fun.
pedorlee

Postby DaniAngione » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:26 pm

Being able to lift them would just allow griefers to drown them or throw them to bears. They obviously can't stay immovable and impassable too, certainly would be abused. Honestly, I only see two solutions:

1- either they become passable when KO'd (like animals now do)
2- and/or you can right click them and send them to their HF or random spawn (if no HF exists)

These would only apply to the "noob status" characters - or maybe all (need to think about it, another discussion)
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby jorb » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:28 pm

My thinking is a lot closer to "Make it possible to kill fresh spawns without leaving scents".
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Astarisk » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:43 pm

jorb wrote:My thinking is a lot closer to "Make it possible to kill fresh spawns without leaving scents".

Would like it if you could prevent alts from being spammed and revived at their hf. Should force the people to remake a beacon so they are less tempted to continue the endless army of alts, or add an LP threshold to respawn at your hf.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas