Charter Stone Redux

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Charter Stone Redux

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 pm

Listen... Your charter stone idea? It's terrible. Let's just start there.

In the earlier worlds when Charter Stones existed they were a powerful and useful tool that enabled a village to establish itself as a starter zone for new players just coming into the world. They were a fascinating way to meet new people who were just coming in wide-eyed and excited about this amazing thing that is "Haven and Hearth". For those of us who like helping new people out we got to help the game by spending our days helping them over the initial hump and knowing that we were relatively secure in the fact that, even if they were trying to be a spy, we'd only have to deal with brand new characters popping through the charter stone and into our region.

Now we have a barrier between us and new players, they have to have the hearth secret. By the time they even know what a hearth secret is? We, as a community, may have lost them.

If we *must* have this annoying teleportation system, give it to us as something new and costly. But give us back the charter stone as it was for the bright eyed and new, the fresh and the curious, and be sure to issue a warning that the world is a dark and hostile place, and those on the other side may be waiting to help introduce them into the world, or may wish them harm.

I desperately miss the days of helping grow this game by shepherding the brand new noob. Now I have to hope to find them in the woods, or hope they survive long enough to go to the forums in search of a community.

Save the Noobs, Give us Back Our Charter Stones.

For those who don't know
Starting at a charter stone used to occur through using the 'trap door' that appeared in legacy's starting room. If the charter stone was active, it would appear on the list of names in the pop-up that happened. Then you'd click one, and poof, off you'd go to the charter stone.

You'd receive a 'Baby Blue Eyes' buff that lasted some length of time, and while it was active you could click on the charter stone to go to another one. Once some criteria was reached, you were stuck where you were. It was a great way to meet new players coming into the world, and I for one miss it and how well it served my community.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Re: Charter Stone Redux

Postby Archiplex » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:14 pm

Alright, but it doesn't have to replace the current charter stone. It can be a different structure meant for this sort of thing instead.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby dzielny_wojownik » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:42 pm

ya this is kool but ya shoud be a different structure idk
There was a wise soviet conscript that was surrounded by the enemy on the battle of Stalingrad. A mortar shot teared his pants apart causing a big hole in his pants right on his right butt cheek. He felt a glorious cold ass breeze of wind on his butt cheek, like it would be sent by stalin himself, he said - hide your butts
dzielny_wojownik

Postby Kaios » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Bump, add something like this for Kingdoms. A nice addition to it might be that you don't actually create a hearth fire when spawning and that "Charter stone" is your hearth fire until you build your own, would definitely eliminate some of the clutter that appears with such areas. The object would be for spawning only of course, no teleportation through it at all unless you want to re-implement the baby blue eyes effect.
Kaios

Postby shubla » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:20 pm

There could be bigger charter stoneish thing that only kingdoms could build.
One for each kingdom.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Colin500 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:22 pm

Or there could be a system that would allow you to spawn randomly on the kingdom claim as long as there's no other village claim or stake claim in the way.
Colin500

Postby Kaios » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Colin500 wrote:Or there could be a system that would allow you to spawn randomly on the kingdom claim as long as there's no other village claim or stake claim in the way.

It's an option, but it would be nice to pick the spot I think
Kaios

Postby Colin500 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:32 pm

Kaios wrote:
Colin500 wrote:Or there could be a system that would allow you to spawn randomly on the kingdom claim as long as there's no other village claim or stake claim in the way.

It's an option, but it would be nice to pick the spot I think

Buttons for NW,NE,SW and SE so that players can't pick exactly under which village they want to spawn (prevent alt spam under a village)
Colin500

Postby Kaios » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:36 pm

I meant as the person allowing the spawning, I'd like to pick where players spawn. For example, I might want to setup an area with some decent resources nearby that I can give access on, etc. This is why I mentioned the thing about hearth fire as well and the spawning point acting as the hearth fire itself.
Kaios

Postby shubla » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Kaios wrote:I meant as the person allowing the spawning, I'd like to pick where players spawn. For example, I might want to setup an area with some decent resources nearby that I can give access on, etc. This is why I mentioned the thing about hearth fire as well and the spawning point acting as the hearth fire itself.

maybe an area for them to spawn inside realm borders could be defined by someway.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas