Burning Clay Structures

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Burning Clay Structures

Postby Itanu » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Enjoyment wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:However, including the quality of the wood in the quality of the final product is actually a neat idea.

Emm... why?
Actually taking fuel quality in ANY product quality is BAD idea. It is just a fuel. It can burn for longer time, may produce heater, cleaner light, but it just a source of temperature. If your iron ore sucks in quality - u shouldn't be able to smelt a fine quality steel from it, just because u lit a smelter with high-quality coal. Even if it was created from the blood of virgin-dinosaurs exactly 1 million years ago. No way. U should try harder and find good quality ore instead. And if your wife made a cake from swamp water and bone flour, it want taste good just becase u lit your oven with high-quality buxus.
So, I personally don't think that
including the quality of the wood in the quality of the final product is actually a neat idea.

And I think, that influence of fuel in resulting products should be removed at all. More of this - if coal q won't be taken into account for resulting product quality - people won't rebuild all their brick structures everytime they stuck +5q coal, but only if they've find +5q clay, which seems more logical for as all this fuel quailty grinding now.

Well if you're going to be picky about it, neither the fuel or kiln quality should matter for anything baked in a kiln. As long as your clay can hold together, it should produce exactly the same fired goods as a kiln made of the burned bones of virgin albino trolls mixed with clay from the enchanted holy underground shrine.

The only things where fuel quality would actually matter is wrought, where the metal trickles through the coal to gain carbon, and steel (though the coal here is separate from the fuel).
Itanu

Postby Ysh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:00 pm

Itanu wrote:
Enjoyment wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:However, including the quality of the wood in the quality of the final product is actually a neat idea.

Emm... why?
Actually taking fuel quality in ANY product quality is BAD idea. It is just a fuel. It can burn for longer time, may produce heater, cleaner light, but it just a source of temperature. If your iron ore sucks in quality - u shouldn't be able to smelt a fine quality steel from it, just because u lit a smelter with high-quality coal. Even if it was created from the blood of virgin-dinosaurs exactly 1 million years ago. No way. U should try harder and find good quality ore instead. And if your wife made a cake from swamp water and bone flour, it want taste good just becase u lit your oven with high-quality buxus.
So, I personally don't think that
including the quality of the wood in the quality of the final product is actually a neat idea.

And I think, that influence of fuel in resulting products should be removed at all. More of this - if coal q won't be taken into account for resulting product quality - people won't rebuild all their brick structures everytime they stuck +5q coal, but only if they've find +5q clay, which seems more logical for as all this fuel quailty grinding now.

Well if you're going to be picky about it, neither the fuel or kiln quality should matter for anything baked in a kiln. As long as your clay can hold together, it should produce exactly the same fired goods as a kiln made of the burned bones of virgin albino trolls mixed with clay from the enchanted holy underground shrine.

The only things where fuel quality would actually matter is wrought, where the metal trickles through the coal to gain carbon, and steel (though the coal here is separate from the fuel).

I think these are example where gameplay is trumped flavor. I think mechanically there is need for tools quality matterings.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Enjoyment » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Itanu wrote:Well if you're going to be picky about it, neither the fuel or kiln quality should matter for anything baked in a kiln. As long as your clay can hold together, it should produce exactly the same fired goods as a kiln made of the burned bones of virgin albino trolls mixed with clay from the enchanted holy underground shrine.

The q of kiln becomes straight from q of clay, that can matter the resulting ability of kiln to make good quality products (like how good your kiln holds the temp and how good the air circulates in it and so), so it can matter anything made in it. But more like softcap. So U can't make good product from good materials in bad station, neither u can make good products from bad materials in good station.
Itanu wrote:The only things where fuel quality would actually matter is wrought, where the metal trickles through the coal to gain carbon, and steel (though the coal here is separate from the fuel).

Yeap, if coal is involved in crafting it should matter, but not as fuel. Maybe wrought iron station should have 2 separate bars - for fuel and for coal (like it looks in steel crucible.
Ysh wrote:I think these are example where gameplay is trumped flavor. I think mechanically there is need for tools quality matterings.

So devs need to introduce trowel, IMO
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas