Please bring back Beermaking (and expand upon it)!

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Please bring back Beermaking (and expand upon it)!

Postby Frozgaar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:41 am

I'm a homebrewer and general beer nerd so needless the say I would really like to be able to brew beer in this game. I remember the beermaking skill in legacy and though it was cool despite only being able to brew Weißbier. The process in legacy game was pretty close to how it's done in real life, no complaints there. In the current game, you can grow barley,wheat, and hops, so the next logically conclusion is to bring back the ability to brew beer. Not only that, but since barley (The primary grain for beer) is now available, why not have a variety of styles of beer instead of just one?

The beauty of beer is that there are so many different kinds. Why not take advantage of this by having mutliple recipes to brew different styles, with different effects? Having multiple styles of beer to brew would truly make the Beermaking skill super rewarding, and if done right, beer can be crucial for players who want to take full advantage of FEP bonuses and perhaps other kinds of buffs.

Weißbier can definitely still have a place in the beermaking skill (Though I think is should be 50/50 Wheat and barley grist, not 100% wheat, for the sake of accuracy), but I'd like to throw out some ideas of how other beers can be made.

IPA/Pale Ale: All barley grist with a higher than average amount of hops.

Brown ale: Add the ability to kiln malt a second time to create brown malt to add to a barley grist

Stout/porter: Kiln malted barley a third time to create Roasted Barley malt to add to a barley grist.

Saison: Barley grist with some wheat added.

Braggot: Barley grist with a generous addition of honey to the wort.

Fruit beers: Barley or wheat grist with different fruits added. Lots of options with this alone.

Barleywine: Barley grist requiring more barley and a bigger hop edition.

Gruit: Replace hop addition with bog myrtle and/or juniper berries.

Ale/wine hybrid: Wort and grape juice added to barrel.

That's just what I came up with off the top of my head. I truly believe if something like this is implemented, it would attract all kinds of beer nerds like myself who long for a medieval brewery simulator. :mrgreen:
Frozgaar

Re: Please bring back Beermaking (and expand upon it)!

Postby infectedking » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:09 am

beer is in the game already m8.
dafels wrote:I like to be under Frosty's command.

Any Questions about the game or anything, hit me up on skype: deadlytroll1 Or you can find me in the hedgehug realm chat on discord.
W7: Hermit
W8: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W9: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W10: deserter-Peaceful Farmer of F&I
infectedking

Postby Teleskop » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:48 pm

nothing that you posted fits the times the game is taking place in
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

but as a beer connoiseur i would love if the beermaking as a little bit expanded,maybe allowing us to craft honey beer?

Baldarich wrote:Im writing this just to increase my post count xd

One time i visited Ozzy and i farted and he took a big vacuum cleaner and sucked the fart into a big container with an inhalation mask attached to it and i asked why would he need such thing and he said he likes to smell farts
Teleskop

Postby dageir » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 pm

WTH is honey beer? An abomination?
dageir

Postby Teleskop » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:29 pm

dageir wrote:WTH is honey beer? An abomination?

y go drink eurolager

One time i visited Ozzy and i farted and he took a big vacuum cleaner and sucked the fart into a big container with an inhalation mask attached to it and i asked why would he need such thing and he said he likes to smell farts
Teleskop

Postby Frozgaar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:47 pm

dageir wrote:WTH is honey beer? An abomination?

Braggot was a very common in the medieval age.
Frozgaar

Postby Frozgaar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:49 pm

infectedking wrote:beer is in the game already m8.

Really? Where is the Beermaking skill? How do you make it. I couldn't find any info that wasn't from legacy.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. At least beer is actually made from barley now.

From the Ring of Brogdar Wiki:

"Beer buffs Meat satiation by 0.5% and Sausage by 1.0% per gulp of Q10. It also gives a negative satiation against itself which results in a diminishing return."

I could be wrong but that doesn't seem like it's very rewarding, for all the effort that goes into making beer.

Brewing beer in one form or another has been a crucial job since ancient times. It's importance can't be understated. Brewing in this game should reflect that, by having it be a worthwhile, interesting endeavor.
Last edited by Frozgaar on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frozgaar

Postby Teleskop » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Frozgaar wrote:
infectedking wrote:beer is in the game already m8.

Really? Where is the Beermaking skill? How do you make it. I couldn't find any info that wasn't from legacy.

i dont think you need bermaking
you need to put barley seeds on herbalist table,let it sprout,then burn it in the kiln and then craft grist and then brew wort with hops and then ferment it in demijohn or something

Teleskop

Postby Frozgaar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Teleskop wrote:nothing that you posted fits the times the game is taking place in
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

How so? I guess IPAs, pale ales, stout/porter, Barleywine and Saison are pretty modern styles overall. However Braggot, Gruit, and fruit/wine beers have existed at least since the dark ages.

Not to mention, even though it's pretty clear that while the game is inspired by Ancient/medieval times it's clearly not meant to be 100% historically accurate. The game has fantasy elements.
Frozgaar

Postby dageir » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:07 pm

We do not need more versions of beer. We need mead!

Notice that in this case braggot is for some reason defined as a mead and not a beer.
I guess it could be classified as a beead or meer?
dageir

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas