Traps, Blinds,Useless berries, recipes

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Traps, Blinds,Useless berries, recipes

Postby Kumodo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:54 pm

Basically,
Traps
1.) Create traps based on carpentry x survival skill x wood quality x string quality x bait quality. Two types of traps, one for rabbits and squirrels larger one for fox.
2.) Creating a trap adds an area that takes some learning points to create and make a small claim area, that acts like claim for theft,vandalism purposes. Last for 1 day to a week..based off of 100 LP for 1 day , 7 days 700 . Can be destroyed. Has a wear mod based on quality, can be repaired.
3.) Use the useless berries and seeds for bait , nuts and seeds for squirrels , crops and berries for rabbits . Meats for fox.
4.) quality of trapped game factors in trap quality and bait quality.

Boar and Deer, Bear blinds
1.) same as above for trap quality but includes boughs
2.) Creating a trap same as above but adjust cost by 250 a day for up to a week.
3.) additional spawn chance, animals will hang around the blind as long as the food doesn't run out, much like a trough, boar food crops, deer food , salt super bonus to quality and crops, Bear uses Honey instead of a blind you construct a log with hole and clay pot filled with honey, while bear is feeding his agro range is reduced as long as their is honey in the pot.Bow and Arrow Combat bonus while standing in the blind, ignores line of sight issues.Other wise hand to hand or melee gives nothing, but bonus would be gathering up game in a spot.
4.) quality same as above, ingredients used added .

None of these could be constructed on claimed space, as they themselves have a small claim area.

Would also like to see Coyote and wolves , both can dig under palisade to get at newborn farm animals , no this hole can be exploited by players, but can be filled back in with dirt. Fox goes for chicken coops. Farm Dogs for protections one per claim.No they don't attack players.

Turkeys, Beaver , Polar bear would also be nice.
Watermelon, Corn or Maize, sugar cane, potato's , peaches
Add recipes for fried chicken , cherry pie, black berry pie , raspberry pie, elderberry pie, gooseberry pie, olive oil with press , stews with cauldron .

Just a thought .
Kumodo

Re: Traps, Blinds,Useless berries, recipes

Postby Darklordx2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:02 pm

I like your ideas! Especially concerning traps, it's something i have been thinking about as well. However, i disagree fundamentally. I would like to see a different implementation of traps. Essentially, i dislike the idea of "baited traps", that the player would presumably deploy in the wilds, and then wait until the trap automatically catches animals (after some time, or according to a random chance). Instead; i would like to see traps that the player deploys in an active manner, in conjunction with current hunting techniques, as a way to incapacitate animals and prevent them from moving. This type of implementation of trapping to the game would, in my opinion, make hunting into a more exciting and fun activity.

According to my vision, traps would be stationary objects placed on the ground by players. When an animal walks over the trap, it would get stuck (unable to move) for a certain duration, corresponding to the type, and quality, of the trap. The traps would affect animals only and not players, in order to prevent exploitation and griefing. I have thought of three distinct types of traps:

Simple Snare
Affects: Rabbit, Hedgehog, Squirrel, Fox, Badger
Special properties: Crafted with some string and a branch (for securing the snare to the ground). Can be brought in the players inventory and be deployed or re-deployed. Will ensnare an animal for roughly 7 seconds (more with higher quality). The simple snare is cheap to make, but has a chance to be destroyed when the animal breaks free.

Leghold Trap
Affects: (Same as snare) + Boar, Lynx, Bear
Special properties: It is made from metal and thus more expensive than the simple snare. It works much like the simple snare, it can be brought in the players inventory, be deployed and re-deployed. It ensnares an animal for 12 seconds (can be improved by raising its quality) and unlike the snare it will not break, and is thus more reliable and valuable. A strong metal chain secures it to the ground, to keep the trapped animal in place.

Pitfall Trap
Affects: All animals.
Special properties: Built on the spot, and thus stationary. It functions much like the cellar, it is first built and then boulders must be removed in order to "complete" the pitfall trap. Not very expensive, but might require some leather, rope, glue and blocks (to hold the structure together). The pitfall trap, being stationary, is the least convenient out of all the traps, however it can catch any animal and holds them for the longest time (about 25 seconds) and can thus be used for bringing down the strongest prey.

In the next post i will explain the type of playstyle these types of traps would facilitate.
Darklordx2

Postby Darklordx2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:05 pm

The reason for using traps is simple, to prevent an animal from moving, thus allowing the hunter to move in for the kill. To use the examples i have suggested above, i will explain what type of strategy a hunter (or team of hunters) may use when deploying these three types of traps.

Simple Snare Strategy:
If the player wants to capture small prey such as rabbits, he may deploy a few snares around a chokepoint, such as next to a cliff or fencing that he has constructed previously. He would then approach the rabbit from the opposite direction, forcing the rabbit to run into the snare and becoming entrapped, allowing the player to catch up and wring the poor rabbits neck. When hunting larger prey such as the fox, the hunter may deploy a few snares between himself and the fox, after which he may aggro the fox to draw it into the snares. When it has become stuck, the player takes aim with his bow and unleashes the killing arrow.

Leghold Trap Strategy:
The Leghold Trap works much like the snare. Let's consider the Lynx. It likes to run away from hearthlings. The hunter locates the lynx, and then deploys a few leghold traps in a strategic chokepoint (near cliffs or trees or rivers, where the lynx has to walk into the trap). He then herds the lynx into the trap by approaching from the opposite direction, and may then attack it with whatever weapon he likes to employ in his deadly trade.

Pitfall Trap Strategy:
The Pitfall Trap may be best employed by a team of hunters. Consider the following scenario. As the hunters scout around for prey, they locate a Mammoth. They construct a Pitfall Trap nearby, and then the hunt begins. One of the hunters, the bravest soul among them, engages the mammoth to lure it into the pit. He aggroes the mammoth, and then runs back to the pitfall trap. As the mammoth crashes down into the trap and becomes stuck, the team of hunters strike all at once, pelting the mammoth with spears and arrows before it can free itself from the pit.

In all, this would make for more exciting and diverse types of hunting. Not to mention the fact that trapping was always (realistically and historically) the main form of hunting in practice. Pitfall traps have been widely in used in Europe and other locations for thousands of years, in order to catch large prey such as Bison and Moose. In terms of gameplay, an animal AI revamp would probably be necessary, so as to prevent more traditional hearthling hunting techniques from being used instead. For example, the well-known boat trapping technique would have to be nerfed, and maybe animals would finally be taught how to swim, or at least they should run away when faced with a water-born type of hunter.
Darklordx2

Postby shubla » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:31 pm

I think that when you place traps they should softcap by your stealth.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby ekzarh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:46 pm

Why not.
Anyway in 4 month lots of people start to hunt in hand-to-hand combat and carry home wagons full of dead animals.
ekzarh

Postby Zeler » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:02 pm

ekzarh wrote:Why not.
Anyway in 4 month lots of people start to hunt in hand-to-hand combat and carry home wagons full of dead animals.

More like in 4 days.
Zeler

Postby sMartins » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:43 pm

Simply shouldn't be possible to kill big game by hand (try to kill a bear with a sword in real life... :D )...and small game should always outrun you, moreover to prevent exploitation...aggro animals should always run away if they cannot hit you after some time.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Kumodo » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:30 pm

Good ideas, as long as the put something in , would make the game funner.
Kumodo

Postby ekzarh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:26 am

Zeler wrote:
ekzarh wrote:Why not.

More like in 4 days.

Misprint. 1 month.
But 4 days are possible under some circumstances (when we've started at W8 we spend about 2 days to find the good place for the base, thend 2 days terraforming since the place was on the edge of mountain biome, so no char development)
ekzarh

Postby azrid » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:38 am

Has been suggested infinite times.
Still+1
azrid

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas