Exit critique

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Exit critique

Postby Thrawn00 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:53 am

I'm leaving the game even though I love it. But wanted to offer this as a critique for keeping player population.
I truly love this game, even though there are some issues I dislike. It is by far one of the best crafting village building games I've played.
But I have to be a casual player, there are times when I work long hours 4-5 days in a row and don't have time to play any game.
Only to log in and find my chickens and livestock starved to death, my claim decayed, or some player attacked and stolen my stuff while I was busy in the real world.
I can't play a game which requires me to log in every day or 2 just to do upkeep on what I already worked hard to earn.
At first the game seems very simple and casual, but as you get higher the demand on your time becomes greater and greater.
It is due to this I think the game will always lose casual players, instead of building a large player base.
Thrawn00

Re: Exit critique

Postby ekzarh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:36 am

Chicken, livestock - smth should be done about it and is duscussed
Silk - maybe something should be done, but you can take a breath on egg phase, so less important
Claim - I hardly believe it since claim can't decay in 5 days

Player attacker - I hope devs would not touch this (maybe more carebearing rules of inheritance but not the possibility to attack itself). This is hardcore open PVP game and it should always be like that. For that you join villages and protect yourselves together. And.. anyway. IMO If raiders attack casual player's base - casual player can do nothing about it regardless of online or offline status.
ekzarh

Postby vatas » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:00 am

Animal Husbandry does kind of suck. Devs should probably consider adding Hearth magic that puts Livestock into hibernation.

Current ways to work around periods you can't play at all or can't play enough:

Coops: Have two coops, one with only 1 hen and 1 with only one rooster, your best quality. Fill coops with fodder and water, they should be fine for weeks.

Livestock: make area where there are only breeding pairs of all tame animals SEPARATED and load the area with throughs.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby azrid » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:43 pm

You can prepare like above poster explained.
But if you think thats too much work go join a village that has players to take care of things while you cant play.
azrid

Postby Potjeh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:53 pm

^And that kind of attitude is why Haven will never have more than a handful of players. Vast majority of people don't want to organize their life around a game.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Kaios » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:58 pm

No kidding,

azrid wrote:You can prepare like above poster explained.
But if you think thats too much work go join a village that has players to take care of things while you cant play.

This especially sucks for the few guys who end up doing the bulk of all those things to take care of while other dudes just log in for curios and eventually those other guys stop logging in all together and you're stuck in a big village doing all the chores.
Kaios

Postby Enjoyment » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:43 pm

Kaios wrote:No kidding,

azrid wrote:You can prepare like above poster explained.

This especially sucks for the few guys who end up doing the bulk of all those things to take care of while other dudes just log in for curios and eventually those other guys stop logging in all together and you're stuck in a big village doing all the chores.

K, I think you're talking 'bout "very bad village - bad choice to join in". I just can't imagine why do someone will join the village to find himself absolutely lonely in it someday. What is the point of this kind of village?
And requesting to remove time-management from H&H seems a little weird to me - that's one of the things that makes this game what it is.
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby ydex » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:11 pm

Enjoyment wrote:K, I think you're talking 'bout "very bad village - bad choice to join in". I just can't imagine why do someone will join the village to find himself absolutely lonely in it someday. What is the point of this kind of village?

to be clear the villages usually start up active and fun but over time players stop playing, leaving only few ppl left with giant village.
so when u join it does look very good usually, otherewise ppl obv wouldnt join lol
bold
ydex

Postby Kaios » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:33 pm

ydex wrote:
Enjoyment wrote:K, I think you're talking 'bout "very bad village - bad choice to join in". I just can't imagine why do someone will join the village to find himself absolutely lonely in it someday. What is the point of this kind of village?

to be clear the villages usually start up active and fun but over time players stop playing, leaving only few ppl left with giant village.
so when u join it does look very good usually, otherewise ppl obv wouldnt join lol

Yeah that's more what I was referring to.

I don't think it's a good idea to join a village just for the sole purpose of having someone else around to take care of the menial tasks/duties when you're not available because at some point those people may disappear and you're left handling a larger burden on your own than you were before.

Of course, the same thing can happen with the recruits such as they join the village because they lack the time to handle everything they like to do and just end up joining a place where all that is already taken care of by someone else, leaving them with less to do than they had before at which point they start getting bored and become the person logging in only for curios and then eventually they disappear and obviously this is not desirable for the recruiter either.
Kaios

Postby azrid » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:05 am

Lmao sure. Just slap on a name to what already exists in game.
You can hibernate your animals with above mentioned methods. Its not some kind of hard core mentally challenging system that only the most dedicated can use.
The problem probably is that people don't find the info they need so they come post suggesting a new solution when one already exists.
azrid

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas