Idea: Livestock management for filthy casuals

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Idea: Livestock management for filthy casuals

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Maybe something like with no food quality deteriorates as you said, but when quality reaches <1 the animal dies?
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

Postby azrid » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:08 am

Simple fix just need to decrease animal food consumption.
azrid

Postby Onep » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:11 am

I wouldn't mind an option to perform abortions on livestock. Sometimes, eugenics and convenience just really don't what that little bastard to live.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby LadyGoo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:28 am

azrid wrote:Simple fix just need to decrease animal food consumption.
Jorb would reply to you: "do you want everything to be done only by 1 button then?". :D

I think, the devs insist on the current feeding system because they do not want it to be super-easy for the players and would attach them to the game. And let's put aside the morality, any brand needs the players to be addicted to their products.
The quality race is a good way of keeping people's attention and causing them feeling slight stress from not attending their stuff, play and invest money in tokens and subs. On the other hand, the stress might become too much for the people to keep playing the game as well. It's just a matter of balance in my point of view.

The reason why I insist in that particular idea is that it keeps the balance between keeping the competition need and avoiding too much stress for the players that will be constantly worried and annoyed that they might loose all their animals.

P.S. I highly doubt J&Lo will do the abortion thing even for the animals. The same reason why they haven't implemented cannibalism. Ethics.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Granger » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:07 am

LadyGoo wrote:After reading numerous complaints of noobs and Kaios, I've come to an interesting idea:

The livestock should never starve to death if the personal claim is active. Instead, it should graze from the grass and slowly loose its quality, if there are no good quality feeding troughs available. They should also stop getting pregnant while grazing from the grass.

Once they'll be given the access to the feeding troughs, they will rise their quality back to their birth stats within a week or two + become fertile again (happens in animal kingdom).

Sounds good, some slight modifications:

Chicken should be covered too, as long as their coop has grass around. Also the timeframe to recover should not be fixed (with higher q animals regenerating more absolute q levels). They should recover with the speed they decay their stats when grassfeeding and become fertile again within a RL day of being fed again. Maximum q of the offspring of parent 'recovering (by being fed again)' is determined by the moment of fertilisation and should in general be limited at birth to quality of mothers in case these are grassfeeding.

Decay (and thus recovery) of 5 quality points per ingame day sounds reasonable.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Amanda44 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:09 am

LadyGoo wrote:
azrid wrote:Simple fix just need to decrease animal food consumption.
Jorb would reply to you: "do you want everything to be done only by 1 button then?". :D

I think, the devs insist on the current feeding system because they do not want it to be super-easy for the players and would attach them to the game. And let's put aside the morality, any brand needs the players to be addicted to their products.
The quality race is a good way of keeping people's attention and causing them feeling slight stress from not attending their stuff, play and invest money in tokens and subs. On the other hand, the stress might become too much for the people to keep playing the game as well. It's just a matter of balance in my point of view.

The reason why I insist in that particular idea is that it keeps the balance between keeping the competition need and avoiding too much stress for the players that will be constantly worried and annoyed that they might loose all their animals.

P.S. I highly doubt J&Lo will do the abortion thing even for the animals. The same reason why they haven't implemented cannibalism. Ethics.

I agree and your solution is a simple and elegant one which suits both parties ... atm the constant attention needed to care for livestock is enough long term to actually push players away from the game. Earlier on in the game you are proud of your new livestock and eager to maintain them, eventually you start to cull more and more and finally when your time in game is naturally decreasing due to reaching end-game or purely from having nothing but design left to do and all of your time is taken up by farming to feed your livestock you stop caring about them altogether.

Though I still do think they consume too much anyway.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Pickard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:22 pm

Granger wrote:Sounds good, some slight modifications:
Chicken should be covered too, as long as their coop has grass around.

People build coops on paved tiles. Better solution is remove grass from equation completely. When no food livestock starts loose quality, thats all. When no food pregnancy is paused too.

Granger wrote: Also the timeframe to recover should not be fixed (with higher q animals regenerating more absolute q levels). They should recover with the speed they decay their stats when grassfeeding and become fertile again within a RL day of being fed again.

No, recovery speed should be much faster, maybe 5-10x, because people actually started to play, they may dont play for month, and recovery for another month is just silly. 3-6 days after month vacation is ok.

Granger wrote: Maximum q of the offspring of parent 'recovering (by being fed again)' is determined by the moment of fertilisation and should in general be limited at birth to quality of mothers in case these are grassfeeding.

Why? I see no reason to do this. Except hatred of mankind.

Granger wrote:Decay (and thus recovery) of 5 quality points per ingame day sounds reasonable.

From current values to 0 in 2 weeks? Maybe. Maybe less, like 3q/day, good number, 1q per ingame day :)
w15 Trust me bro w14 Arcanum w13 Arcanum w12 Action w11 Willowroot w10 Dis w9 Hive w8 Core w7 H.A.W.X/Progress w6 Dis/Disneyland w5 Peace/Late Project
Pickard

Postby Granger » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:45 am

Pickard wrote:
Granger wrote:Sounds good, some slight modifications:
Chicken should be covered too, as long as their coop has grass around.

People build coops on paved tiles. Better solution is remove grass from equation completely. When no food livestock starts loose quality, thats all.

I don't think that a bunker style (fully paved) pen should keep them alive without food.

When no food pregnancy is paused too.

Should be aborted, not paused.

Granger wrote: Also the timeframe to recover should not be fixed (with higher q animals regenerating more absolute q levels). They should recover with the speed they decay their stats when grassfeeding and become fertile again within a RL day of being fed again.

No, recovery speed should be much faster, maybe 5-10x, because people actually started to play, they may dont play for month, and recovery for another month is just silly. 3-6 days after month vacation is ok.
That feels like to easy (see below why).

Granger wrote: Maximum q of the offspring of parent 'recovering (by being fed again)' is determined by the moment of fertilisation and should in general be limited at birth to quality of mothers in case these are grassfeeding.

Why? I see no reason to do this. Except hatred of mankind.
Your view will most likely, given the experience of the past, not be harsh enough to get the blessin of Jorb.

Granger wrote:Decay (and thus recovery) of 5 quality points per ingame day sounds reasonable.

From current values to 0 in 2 weeks? Maybe. Maybe less, like 3q/day, good number, 1q per ingame day :)

I have seen (in the past) chicken at qualities that would take longer than 1/2 RL year to reach 0 with 1q per ingame day.
Last edited by Granger on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotes fixed
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Pickard » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:11 am

Granger wrote:...

Why you want to make it worse than already is?
w15 Trust me bro w14 Arcanum w13 Arcanum w12 Action w11 Willowroot w10 Dis w9 Hive w8 Core w7 H.A.W.X/Progress w6 Dis/Disneyland w5 Peace/Late Project
Pickard

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:12 am

This whole subforum wrote:a number needs to be tweaked, let's add 15 mechanics and change around then entire engine to fix it!
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas