Improved forum moderation ('Shitposters under curfew')

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Improved forum moderation ('Shitposters under curfew')

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:32 pm

This is a shit idea. Granger just suggested it because he's a retarded control-freak.
DDDsDD999

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Kaios wrote:Doesn't really make sense, all this does for moderators is create more work for them and allows shit posters and non-contributing members of the forum to continue to make somewhat on-topic posts in threads instead of just banning them altogether for their behaviour, they get rewarded by being allowed to keep posting although on a limited basis.

Well, some of the posts that may have warranted getting removed and warnings issued just weren't worth the effort because they weren't that severe, at least for me. I removed the worst ones because they caused more issues. Now these have to be approved if the repeat offender keeps posting. Instead of needing to make effort to remove them, they're just not going to show up on the forum because the entire moderation team thinks it's off topic, intentional derail, spam, or whatever. We can simply just ignore the post (leaving it in the moderation queue) or flat disapprove it.

In the end, I am seeing that it might actually save effort.

Burinn wrote:I think what I'm trying to point out is implicitly about the mechanic and nothing to do about Teleskop. Why would someone tolerate being treated like a child, they're going to feel scorned and they're definitely more liable to cause a problem because of it.

Why do societies put people in jail, prison, or other means of social restraint? Isn't this the same concept--segregate the person from life a bit until they can figure out their behavior isn't acceptable? If they really want to keep up or get worse, we can always ban them. But isn't that really just like sending a child to their room for the week? If you really want to stretch, any form of punishment is treating the target "like a child" unless we're talking capital punishment.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Burinn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:41 pm

"They deserve to be treated like children because they act like children."

Real sound, objective, logic right there. I pity the day any of you actually have to deal with children.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby Granger » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:07 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:This is a shit idea. Granger just suggested it because he's a retarded control-freak.

FYI: I suggested it because I saw some users acting like it is still 2014 (when this forum was basically free-for-all) and the up to now employed mechanics to keep them in the here-and-now were not effective.

Then this PM got me thinking:
<shitposter just having received a warning> wrote:
Granger wrote:Stop trolling
Or what?

Curfew was the answer I came up with, the other moderators found it reasonable enough to try it, the devs didn't object and set it up.

Thus: Enjoy.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby LadyGoo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Could you report how it will work out in a week time, please? I am quite curios. Imho, still a better idea to remove the Pleas for Moderation topic or make it visible only for the banned people, devs and the mods.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Burinn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:13 pm

LadyGoo wrote:Could you report how it will work out in a week time, please? I am quite curios. Imho, still a better idea to remove the Pleas for Moderation topic or make it visible only for the banned people, devs and the mods.

As if a single user under the pogram will be indicative of future results?
Burinn

Postby Ysh » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 pm

I like to request probation user have different color name. It is some maroon now but I think this looks as very close to black for me. Hard for distinguish to the regulars.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Burinn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:22 pm

Ysh wrote:I like to request probation user have different color name. It is some maroon now but I think this looks as very close to black for me. Hard for distinguish to the regulars.

Give them a little gold star while you're at it. Make it so us regular users can distinguish easily between them and us.
Burinn

Postby LadyGoo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Burinn wrote:As if a single user under the pogram will be indicative of future results?
Why not? Aren't you suggesting that they should ban more people for the experiment purity? I like the way you think then.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Granger » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Ysh wrote:I like to request probation user have different color name. It is some maroon now but I think this looks as very close to black for me. Hard for distinguish to the regulars.

This is a remnant from testing the mechanic and not really intended, but removing it would also revert the avatar (again) and since the one of our involuntary subject is no longer visually demanding I can live with not putting the affected user through having to upload it again.

Do you think they should have a different color, or even that their avatar should reflect their status, to make it publicly known that they are affected?
If so: would you be so kind to share your reasoning?

PS - I have whipped up an avatar (that could be applied for the ones put under curfew) which I think captures the mechanic nicely
avatar_jailed.gif (6.97 KiB) Viewed 567 times

But the question I'm unsure about is: should it be possible to identify them, or should they have a chance to redeem themselves without knowledge of everyone?

They also would have to re-upload their old avatar after being released, which could be a problem in case the only copy of the image was on this forum...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas