Long list of Critiques and Ideas

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Long list of Critiques and Ideas

Postby bojackson » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:23 pm

Some notes I made while playing recently (only about a month total, on and off). I hermited near a mountain, smelting ore boulders for a while, then went and made a small base and farm. Tried to write things down as I played, then compiled everything together. Hope this helps to some degree. screenshot of meh base at bottom cus I'm a retard and can't figure out the spoiler thing lmao.

Note: I put a fair amount of work into editing and removing useless stuff, but I wanted to explain some things thoroughly so I left a lot in.

1. - WWW'S - Finding wws for seeds is too hard now with so many farmable plants (before it wasn't so bad). You end up with 30 hemp, 10 carrot, and 40 hops. I got 1 barley out of the 60 - 100 WWW's I dried. Too much RnG here imo.
- solution - "families" of WWW's in a way could be nice, like barley, hemp, flax all come from a certain type of WWS (maybe call it Wild Grass or something). Then for fruit/veggies we could have gourds or something. Didn't we have something kinda like this in salem? Been too long since salem so I dunno. Anyway this might help "break up" the RNG. Further more you could have wild grass only spawn on grass bioms, gourds only in forest ect. just a few examples.

2. - global chat -,Bring it back! I think it could be huge for hnh, I feel like a lot of people enjoy the game just fine but get bored after feeling so alone (even when playing in group sometimes it gets boring). It would be nice to chat a bit while we are waiting for stuff to craft/finish. Asking questions ect would be a lot easier as well. Give us the option to mute people, to deal with the trolls. I highly doubt someone would come just to troll the 200-500 population over and over, making new emails and registering ect. Plenty of other games out there with larger pops, and with little to no monitoring, that do just fine. If people really want to troll chats they type in "twitch" to google, I think we'll be fine in haven.

3. - Announcements - announce stuff at the top of client or in chat, like live kills , when a realm goes up, when a realm falls. It could help give some life to what is a pretty chill game most of the time. You'd be like "oh damn someone just got rekt" or "oh damn someone just raided "x" village". Some things like kill streaks and "current largest realm", "latest realm", could be on a page the player opens up, like buddy list or character sheet for example).

4. - Things to announce - Kills (killfeed basically), Realms finished, great hall finished, king of realm has died,

5. - Tips Page in game - Jordan Coles made a great tips thread that I, and a lot of people have contributed to. I think a small unobtrusive, easy to enable/disable, ui in game to display tips from this thread could be awesome in game. Most new people aren't gonna know to look in forum let alone find tips and general info. Kind of like how the tutorial/quests ui works atm. Player could cycle through tips up and down through a master list.

6. - Explaining - some of the basic game mechanics such as quality and how it works (10 ql is base, 40 is x2 ect). A lot of simple stuff that new players won't really understand and probably will be confused and leave, or have to struggle. Don't have to explain every little thing but just some basic stuff. It is good for players to discover some stuff on their own of course.

7. - character creation - Give us some stats/skills while in char creation, and some ants/bats to test out the fighting a bit (explain with text how it works). Could give people that are new a sense of what is to come. Instead of the first usual 2 hours in game of running through a forest not really interacting with the world yet much. Hard to explain the game to new people w/o showing them some of the mid/late game mechanics.

8. - Combat deck - Set default combat deck to all 1's. So things are switching around, so much easier, everyone does it already, and new people will be a lot less confused.

9. - Foraging - Taproots and nettle give 2-3 amount when foraged, instead of just 1, so much time spent picking them for early game string. Especially with string being needed for so much.

10. - Animals - Gaps between base quality of animals is too wide. Raise the base ql of all/most animals. Lower the highest possible ql of most animals. General I know but just some thoughts.

11. - Animals - The fact that animals can be so high in ql also gets a little out of balance too. I think it needs a balance, Similar to how you nerfed qualities of water/clay/soil. More broad. It sucks that I can hunt in tons of different locations and never ever find a even remotely decent ql bear/deer kill and others are easily getting really high ql all the time out of plain luck.

12. - Armor - fox scratches my bronze armor 3 times and it's half hp... say what? For starters, more base hp on armors. A little more protection too would be nice.

13. - Hunting - Seems so hard now, I used to really like it but man its just so clunky and cumbersome now. shooting 1 or 2 times just to have it run away and chase it to the ends of the earth. I can bearly chase boars down as it is, let alone anything faster (which boar seems slowest as is so). Injury/bloodtrail would be perfect to bring in now with how ranged has been nerfed a lot.

14. - Hunting - a. Lower the time of animals fleeing, or the distance at least, as it is now, you kind of have to guess when it will be "passive" and if you're wrong it just runs even further. Also losing them because you have to let them go out of "vision" sucks.

b. It would be nice if they stayed and fought for a bit longer, did you shorten that? or rework it? Seems like you punch something for 20 damage and boom they're gone like the wind, with 90% hp still remaining.

c. As they get more injured/lose hp they should be slower imo, easier to catch up to. Easy fix too.

15. - Blood trail - could be a nice addition like someone mentioned a while back. The animal being slower because of injury would really be nice and make a lot of sense. Traps or something like in unreal world, let us make trap fences ect that can be built on bigger slopes than regular fence or whatever just make us use regualr fence. That way we can use the "fleeing" mechanic of animals to our advantage and run them into a trap fence or something. Then they get stuck and we can fight them. let em fight back sure but maybe they could have reduced stats/skills if caught in trap?

16. - Archery - At the moment it feels clunky. Hard to guess where the animal/person is going to be in the next 5-8 seconds. If anything I kinda miss the old legacy style, it was more interactive and fun, also more fast/viable.
Maybe some form of "mild lock-on" as long as the target stays in sight (if say, a tree comes between you and the target because the target moved then meter starts to go down until sight is regained). We could do the ctrl or shift click to move while aiming ect. I dunno just spitballing.

17. - combat - remove the initiation cooldown for animals, leave it for pvp.
Reason - 1. it's annoying, 2. serves little purpose if any that I can see 3, lot of times you are in a tight space and don't even have time to agro and put up defense.

18. - Fire -Lighting stick on fire burns out way to quickly, need min time up on that, so f annoying.

19. - Carts - With horses and boats being so fast, i feel carts are falling behind in usage. maybe try give 3rd speed while cart is empty, or even 3rd speed until the cart has more than 3 items. After the 4th item is placed in cart you can only walk. So we can get to our destination a bit quicker but still have to "lug" it all back.

20. - Buildings - such as smelters/tarkilns/crucibles on claims are easier to destroy for the claim owner and people set to "destroy" in claim permissions.

21. - Stamina - more total stam, even slightly more would be nice, stopping to drink water all the time is a pain. The increase for energy was nice and I think stamina could use the same bump.

22. - Bioms - less random small bioms, Like i see little chunks of grass mixed in with other large chunks of other bioms a lot. I'd like to see more of a solid biom for a while then a new one, instead of a bunch of little chunks.

23. - Stumps - More grubs/random fun stuff (webs, spiders) in logs/stump inventories. cus fun :)

24. - Boulders - a. A lot less high tier surface ore boulders, imo it should only be like heavy hearth,malachite, and casserite mostly. Then maybe a few ochre/black ore boulders. I'm seeing tons of black ore boulders and it's way to easy to mass iron (up to 20 bars with very little effort). Like someone else said, they have full metal gear before their leather is even done, pretty much same for me. Even being solo.

b. Also those ore boulders should have a lot less to chip per ore boulder.

25. - Caves - I think ore boulders should be showing up moreso down there, instead of on the surface.

26. - Tar sticks - craft into 5 instead of just 1. 2.5 liters of tar is a lot for how many boughs you need.

27. - Rocks/boulders - Could we get a small chance to see those lower tier ores when chipping regular boulders too? Like very low chance, maybe around the chance for cat gold or slightly less chance. That way people that aren't lucky enough to get all the surface boulders can still get a few bars here and there. Could be cool, and I really don't think it would be overpowered. As long as the chance is low enough, gotta remember ore doesn't = bars, still a chance while smelting to have it all f up so yea.

28. - Crafting window - (what we are currently crafting) goes away after 8 seconds of not crafting that thing. just a nice feature, less clicking to close the window ect. might be more of a custom client feature but o well, wanted to mention.

29. - Foragables - are more likely to spawn near rivers and lakes. As you see in real life the lushness near bodies of water usually I think it would look cool to see more foragables around the water. Also might get people to come out of the woods more, leading to more engagements slightly.

30. - wells - Kinda crazy atm with how "deep" they go. 50+ ropes seems a bit much. maybe have max rope needed for the deepest well be only 30 ropes. So the max a well can need is 30 ropes, stones are whatever.

Well that's it, I'm starting school and won't have much time to play, if any. So I wanted one last hurrah of feedback to give. Hopefully in the future I can come back and have time to play more, but thanks for making a kick ass, original game guys, and best of luck to devs and community.

smelter base - Image

Main base - Image
Ohhh that's how I make a sig, cool
bojackson

Re: Long list of Critiques and Ideas

Postby Darklordx2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:12 pm

Very good suggestions, J & L should read this.
Darklordx2

Re: Long list of Critiques and Ideas

Postby sMartins » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Super quote for global chat and announcements....
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Return to Critique & Ideas