WASD Movement

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: WASD Movement

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:46 pm

As someone who had it in a custom client in previous worlds, this was very, very useful.
DDDsDD999

Postby Enjoyment » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:42 am

+1. Can hardly imagine how it could hurt the game, though it usefulness will make it one of the "you don't need it before you try it, then you can't live without it" things...
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby Leafstab » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:58 pm

+1
Leafstab

Postby Granger » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:13 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:As someone who had it in a custom client in previous worlds, this was very, very useful.

Wasn't that a feature that lagged the whole server at some point?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby boshaw » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Granger wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:As someone who had it in a custom client in previous worlds, this was very, very useful.

If you implemented it to spam the server every frame or some extremely short interval, sure.
boshaw

Postby loftar » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:59 pm

Granger wrote:

I don't remember any such thing, but the general problem with WASD and the reason I didn't re-implement it in Haven is that the fact that it has to go a round-trip via the server for it to take effect makes it feel so horribly second-rate that I don't really want to see it. I do agree that it would be nice to be able to move around with an item on the cursor, though, but this should be quite possible already to do with the mouse (Ctrl-click or whatever).

Also, while I don't remember the details, there was some issue with Java where AWT didn't properly communicate keys being released or whatever, which also made the WASD implementation suck a bit.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby lachlaan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:22 am

loftar wrote:
Granger wrote:

I don't remember any such thing, but the general problem with WASD and the reason I didn't re-implement it in Haven is that the fact that it has to go a round-trip via the server for it to take effect makes it feel so horribly second-rate that I don't really want to see it. I do agree that it would be nice to be able to move around with an item on the cursor, though, but this should be quite possible already to do with the mouse (Ctrl-click or whatever).

Also, while I don't remember the details, there was some issue with Java where AWT didn't properly communicate keys being released or whatever, which also made the WASD implementation suck a bit.

If JC ever masters key depressing for his archery plans, perhaps you could poach whatever he'll have used to fix the issue you're referring to, in generally I think I'd like occasional cultural exchanges between you two camps. Lots of creativity on both sides, and while JC himself likely has more to learn directly from you, I think jorb's wild creativity has something to gain from JC's more rational, coder oriented creativity, and vice-versa.

To address the actual WSAD thing tho, that was one thing I missed in Haven versus in Salem, but the fact that Salem's positioning matters so much for the mini-AoE sorto f attacks requires some finely tuned movement via the WSAD, whereas haven just needs you to run after a person if they run away, and WSAD would be so clunky for efficient chasing that it wouldn't even be funny.
lachlaan

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas