WASD Movement

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

WASD Movement

Postby Popo13 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Allow character movement with keyboard in addition to mouse click.
A means to redirect your character while interacting with an object on the ground or map would be a welcome addition.
Popo13

Re: WASD Movement

Postby thirty7even » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Apart from lifting stuff and maybe some other minor aspects of the game, I really don't see how this would be useful or even usable at all.
thirty7even

Postby Popo13 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:48 pm

thirty7even wrote:Apart from lifting stuff and maybe some other minor aspects of the game, I really don't see how this would be useful or even usable at all.

1. Start movement towards next forage-able while trying to click it on the map.
2. Path around objects while moving while re-arranging inventory, changing equipment, etc.
3. Move out of water when you accidentally fill a bucket with full hands.
4. Move into or out of tight spaces without having to rotate camera.
5. Change direction while rotating the camera.
6. Precisely move around cluttered objects (i.e. a line of drying racks, tubs, crates) without requiring precision clicking, or moving your mouse off of the object.
7. Shift-clicking objects into adjacent stockpiles without having to set them back into your inventory first.
8. Lighting multiple objects with a firebrand.
Popo13

Postby bolognaman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:52 pm

+1, this was my favorite thing from Salem. Repetitive things like lighting ovens and filling tanning tubs are much easier when you can move around without having to click.

Huge qol improvement for some players for seemingly little development cost.
bolognaman

Postby thirty7even » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Popo13 wrote:
thirty7even wrote:Apart from lifting stuff and maybe some other minor aspects of the game, I really don't see how this would be useful or even usable at all.

1. Start movement towards next forage-able while trying to click it on the map.
2. Path around objects while moving while re-arranging inventory, changing equipment, etc.
3. Move out of water when you accidentally fill a bucket with full hands.
4. Move into or out of tight spaces without having to rotate camera.
5. Change direction while rotating the camera.
6. Precisely move around cluttered objects (i.e. a line of drying racks, tubs, crates) without requiring precision clicking, or moving your mouse off of the object.
7. Shift-clicking objects into adjacent stockpiles without having to set them back into your inventory first.
8. Lighting multiple objects with a firebrand.

3 - i think you should be able to empty it while holding instead, that would make a bit more sense for me, but I see what you mean.
Strongly agree with and 8) although I am not sure firebrand burns for long enough to fire up more than one object.

Most of it, however, would and should be solved with pathfinding and it's actually funny it's still no implemented.

Overall this is not very hard to implement and if many players would find this helpful then there is no reason it shouldn't exist. I just don't see myself using it much that's all.
thirty7even

Postby Popo13 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:17 pm

It is a minor thing, for sure, but perhaps one that you'll feel you can't live without after you've gotten used to it, as minor QOL improvements can tend to be. My gut feel is that for every person out there that prefers point-click movement, there is another who prefers keyboard movement.

I will agree that there are other solutions to most if not all of the points above (which is not an exhaustive list to begin with, but still). However, some of the other changes required are potentially more buck, and less bang. I tend to agree with Loftar's view on pathfinding. I can recall many painful moments in DotA or other RTS games where I wanted to move forward but clicked up a ledge and instead moved sideways. I can only imagine how much more painful that death would be without a 30-90 second respawn time.
Popo13

Postby sMartins » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:19 pm

In small spaces it is very usefull....+1
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Zapt13 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:52 pm

I was only a Salem player until about 3 weeks ago. I do enjoy reading the banter on one forum regarding the opposite game, both sides of both arguments, actually. It's amazing how many mechanics are just slightly different, but which have obvious common ancestry.

I very much miss WASD movement. But without a free-rotating camera the value is somewhat limited. If there were an option to disable the "snap-to" camera feature, as it is when zoomed very far in to your character, it would strengthen the value of WASD movement.
Zapt13

Postby thirty7even » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Zapt13 wrote:I was only a Salem player until about 3 weeks ago. I do enjoy reading the banter on one forum regarding the opposite game, both sides of both arguments, actually. It's amazing how many mechanics are just slightly different, but which have obvious common ancestry.

I very much miss WASD movement. But without a free-rotating camera the value is somewhat limited. If there were an option to disable the "snap-to" camera feature, as it is when zoomed very far in to your character, it would strengthen the value of WASD movement.

There is such feature in some of the custom clients.
thirty7even

Postby Jacobian123 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:06 pm

Zapt13 wrote:I was only a Salem player until about 3 weeks ago. I do enjoy reading the banter on one forum regarding the opposite game, both sides of both arguments, actually. It's amazing how many mechanics are just slightly different, but which have obvious common ancestry.

:cam bad

Lacking the pretty skybox Salem has, ofc.
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas