Kite shields and tanking

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Kite shields and tanking

Postby Adder1234 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:22 am

With the new combat system, many tougher creatures including mammoths and trolls have become more or less impossible to hunt alone. I think that this is actually a good thing to encourage team hunting, but the problem is that in order to successfully hunt in a group in a game like this, the group must have at least one tank; someone who can take a lot of damage but usually doesn't deal much in return. Without a tank, there's a good chance that at least one of the group will die, which isn't a good thing in a game like this. The problem is that currently, no armour exists that can allow characters to tank in this game.
This problem reminded me of an idea I had a while back, about different types of shields. I always found is kind of strange that this game only had one type of shield; which seems to be a wooden round shield. One type of shield that would be perfect for tanking would be the kite shield. I don't have any pictures, but it's basically shaped like an upside pentagon, covered in metal. They are big, clumsy and used primarily to cover up the whole body to prevent any attacks from hitting the user. I was thinking that they could be added with a very high defence bonus, but they would also reduce agility by a significant amount, enough so that the amount of damage done versus damage received remains the same, but it still makes the user harder to defeat. This way it would be pretty useless in a one on one fight, so it would only be useful when fighting as a group.
It would be made from steel, wooden planks, leather and rope.
Adder1234

Re: Kite shields and tanking

Postby Granger » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:39 am

As long as the downside of it could be overcome by eating through some waggons of deers (and other food) it would be in the standard fighter build.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 am

I think it would be nice to have different types of shields and equipment in general. Rather then defaulting to the "penalize agility" method everything under the sun tends to use, why not make certain moves inaccessible while using certain equipment. Two handed swords could for example, not be able to use sting.
Kite shields would be tricky, but I think that you should have to wear large shields such as these on the back. Taking up the backpack slot, but allowing the hands to still equip a sword. Then a move that allows you to use the shield will be able to be used. While being used defensive abilities can be more effective, while combat ones will be weaker/ have longer cooldowns.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Adder1234 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:27 am

Fierce_Deity wrote:I think it would be nice to have different types of shields and equipment in general. Rather then defaulting to the "penalize agility" method everything under the sun tends to use, why not make certain moves inaccessible while using certain equipment. Two handed swords could for example, not be able to use sting.
Kite shields would be tricky, but I think that you should have to wear large shields such as these on the back. Taking up the backpack slot, but allowing the hands to still equip a sword. Then a move that allows you to use the shield will be able to be used. While being used defensive abilities can be more effective, while combat ones will be weaker/ have longer cooldowns.

good idea
Adder1234

Return to Critique & Ideas