Massive Progression Overhaul - Destroy Bots

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Massive Progression Overhaul - Destroy Bots

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:40 pm

No-Bot System/Less Grind/Massive Timegate:

- Every day, your character may slot for study 3 random curios, one of each.
- Every day, your character may gain FEPs from 5 random items of food, 1-2 of each.

- Ice may be used once per day to study a fourth random curio.
- Salt may be used once per day to eat 1-2 additional food items.

Money, Money, Money:

- Each account is limited to one character.
- A character may only reach 40 in each skill and/or attribute, unless it is a paying account, in which case it is uncapped.

What this does:
- Instead of capping total progression, we are capping acceleration.
- In this way, botters won't simply replace extremely high statted characters with multiple max capped characters in short order.
- The same acceleration will be relatively easily achieved with a moderate level of play.
- The pay per character system will stop botters from simply repeating the same acts over many different characters in order to use their immense wealth for disposable characters.

Theoretical Implications:
- Progression as we know it will slow to a comparative crawl.
- Having the ability to perform all tasks with a set of alts will be virtually eliminated. T
- The wilderness will be dangerous, other players will be dangerous, forever.
- If you want high quality goods of a large variety, you will be forced to turn to others (because high skill characters will be so scarce).
- The scarcity of high skilled crafters will make small villages no-longer able to be optimally self-sufficient.

Players may then (and optimally will) invest their time, energy, and efforts into the social/empire/trade/interaction facets of the game... or choose to live without connection to other players, which will suddenly be extremely difficult.
Last edited by Robben_DuMarsch on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robben_DuMarsch

Re: Massive Progression Overhaul - Destroy Bots

Postby dafels » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:41 pm

there is no need to ruin the game for everyone just because of few botters on the server like ladygoo
dafels

Postby Colin500 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:43 pm

I say, gtfo. Stuff like that only will make the playerbase go from 200 to 20.
Colin500

Postby MrPunchers » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Wtf no
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Is there actually a playerbase?
I don't think the minimal player base justifies staying the course.

Isn't there any desire to play a game where you fill an actual role in society, specializing in a certain complex production chain?
Where trade is real, necessary and lucrative, not a botted, walled off bazaar?

I think so.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Colin500 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:47 pm

Someone close this thread before it's too late and the shitstorm will come, please.
Colin500

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:48 pm

dafels wrote:there is no need to ruin the game for everyone just because of few botters on the server like ladygoo

They've already ruined the game for everyone else.
I don't at all believe this would represent a diminished experience for paying non-botters.
It would stop the game from being virtually free, however.

As far as the game experience:
Everyone has always enjoyed the early world in Haven far, far, more than the lategame.
Above proposal simply ensures that the early world is extremely long, and if society is created to the extent that it resembles lategame Haven, it will be an extremely active task of managing a large numbers of PLAYERS, not just alts, which would hopefully be far more fun.

And finally, villages will have incentive to reach out to new players... because you can't replace the additional player with a bot or alt.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby LadyGoo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:
dafels wrote:there is no need to ruin the game for everyone just because of few botters on the server like ladygoo

They've already ruined the game for everyone else.
OMG, Dis are setting community activities and keeping up the market. Providing kingdom buffs and caring for the community. Ruined game for everyone :D

Robben, your intentions might be good, but your approach is kind of weird (typical though). I doubt the devs will take into consideration your post, since you're suggesting the stuff they've tested and it affected the game in a bad way. Slower character progression, caps for the unpaid characters, taking ice as a big issue while it is not (spawning once in 3 weeks) and etc.

Capping the food and curio consumption will kill both online and the trades. Why'd you need to trade or log in more, if you can do everything you can within 1 hour. People won't also go outside for fighting or travels, being afraid to lose their characters.

Don't cut the hand, cure the issue. There are so many things that could be done:
Focus on the actions that could be done by going outside, hunting and etc. Quests and hunting (now important due to the white clay implementation + lp boost) are the best example of it. Automatization of the vanilla client - too. narrow down the difference between people who bot and not by implementing autoharvest/replant with some auto drinkers. Amber already has such extensions.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby shubla » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:37 pm

LadyGoo wrote: Providing kingdom buffs and caring for the community. Ruined game for everyone :D

At least dis isnt missing self-congratulatory...

There is good reason for bots. Game mechanics. Also they are somewhat fun to make. Even though my ones suck.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:05 pm

"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas