Mazes envisions (end game)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Mazes envisions (end game)

Postby ven » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:07 pm

sMartins wrote:H&H is a "create your story" game, or "enjoy your journey" game...and for sure is one of the best, or the best doing that...this is what i think about.

That might not be ideal, though. A game needs to have challenges in order to be engaging. And the challenges need to be continuous and provide noticeable feedback. Challenge/success/reward/attachment is the basic psychological bait to keep people playing a game. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1 ... hp?print=1

In some similar games, survival itself is the challenge. Handling hunger, temperature, wildlife, disasters, and simply not dying. Haven doesn’t have that.
Here the challenges are linear, from sprucecap to steel gear, and once you reach that point, and the full industry you need for it, all that you have to look forward to is endless number grind. If the challenges were cyclical, or at least continuous, more fun would be had. If they aren’t, players have a harder time finding meaning in whatever they are doing in the game.

So I agree with maze fundamentally, but I don’t think stat caps or world resets matter at all.
Venator
ven

Postby sMartins » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:16 pm

I agree also on this side...but you know, it's not easy to accomplish what you are talking about on a MMO game, unfortunately it cannot be harsh or challenging as a rogue like, or a single player game could be....if you can understand what i mean. I would like to see a challenge level like UnReal World, but i know it will never happen cause they are completly different games...
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby maze » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:18 pm

ven wrote:
sMartins wrote:H&H is a "create your story" game, or "enjoy your journey" game...and for sure is one of the best, or the best doing that...this is what i think about.

That might not be ideal, though. A game needs to have challenges in order to be engaging. And the challenges need to be continuous and provide noticeable feedback. Challenge/success/reward/attachment is the basic psychological bait to keep people playing a game. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1 ... hp?print=1

In some similar games, survival itself is the challenge. Handling hunger, temperature, wildlife, disasters, and simply not dying. Haven doesn’t have that.
Here the challenges are linear, from sprucecap to steel gear, and once you reach that point, and the full industry you need for it, all that you have to look forward to is endless number grind. If the challenges were cyclical, or at least continuous, more fun would be had. If they aren’t, players have a harder time finding meaning in whatever they are doing in the game.

So I agree with maze fundamentally, but I don’t think stat caps or world resets matter at all.

<3 someone finally gets me. :D :D
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby riker88 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:05 am

I like stat caps as well, makes a more even playing field for part time gamers.. Without them there is no way to ever catch up.
riker88

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas