Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Postby LadyGoo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:31 am

I've done some analysis on the current gilding system and found some major flaws. It is a brief post on the key flaws. Will work on the more detailed post once will have more time.

Guilds are more or less balanced so far. But there are some significant flaws still:
- We have only 1 guild for increasing carpentry (hard metal rivets). Meanwhile, with the current forestry system it might be worth to add new guilds for carpentry + corresponding stat (dex, int). It could be an expensive guild that would require mammoth tusks, for instance. Like ivory pin.

- Farming is becoming more vital as the world progresses. Consider adding more guilds for farming to open 3rd slot for the clothing with farming (farming+cooking+dex combo). It could be an expensive guild that would require silk/something rare like foul notes.

- Consider making the Perfect Hole a guild. Easy and cheap content.

- The perception guilds do not have either MM or UC intersections. Meanwhile, hunters and archers need a guild that would give both mm+perc most.

- Surprisingly, charisma is the hardest guild to make due to the cost (silken ribbon requires silk / precious details require gold or silver). And it is the most needed one by the noobs that struggle to get high charisma for trade travels. Consequently, this affects the trades as well. Consider implementing cheap charisma guilds. It could be something related to boar tusks, moose antlers (like deer's antlers used for healing, bear tooth used for str and etc.). Animal products should have higher input.

- Intelligence the most high-cost guild as well (precious details, silken ribbon, foul smoke). However, it is needed less by the people who can afford to make the int. guilds. Consider adding lower-cost int. guilds for the noobs.

Meanwhile, the situation with clothing is much worse. Sometimes it feels like an absurd:

- There are 13 clothing types that provide sewing affinity. Heraldic items like tabard and heraldic cape give only the sewing affinity which is extremely weird for the clothing that is more suitable for battlefields. Additionally to the harness of making paintings and getting sketches, the capes are hard to gild for battle stats. Most of the people start wasting their exp after opening 2-3 slot on their items. Consequently, you won't see armies with uniforms or custom-made imagery on their capes.

-12 clothing types for charisma affinity, while the charisma guilds are expensive on their own (silken ribbon, precious details). Most of the hats provide charisma only, while the cost for them might be really high (cylinder hat). Chieftain's hat, Cylinder hat, LS hat, Merchant's hat provide charisma affinity only.

- 8 types of clothing that give agility. Only 4 of them suitable for gilding for PvP (leather coat, kozukh, ranger boots, leather boots). Fox hat, rabbit's slippers, fur boots, lynx capes are better to be replaced by actual armor.

- 7 types of clothing provide stealth affinity. It is quite a useless thing to gild for someone engaged in PvP (assuming you'd need stealth for hiding your scents). None of the gilds that provide stealth actually intersect with battle stats. Having something like mc+stealth, or ua+stealth and etc. could make it more usable in fighting gear. Items like ranger's pants, shirts, capes and etc. are way too expensive and not worth to invest, if you would like to open more gilding slots.

- Battle-stat affinities look quite bad in comparison to the previous stats: only 3 types of clothing that provide MC affinity (2 of them are quite expensive as well); 0 for unarmed combat, 0 for marksmanship, only 2 for str (1 of them is the bear cape that won't be used in battles), 8 agility (4 of them unusable in fights), 0 for constitution, 1 for perception.

- Meanwhile, there is only 1 clothing type for upgrading smithing, 2 for carpentry, 1 for cooking, 0 for int (bad for the noobs), 0 for dex.

So, we have some clothing affinities set way too high while having none of other stats and skills. The most neglected skills are carpentry, smith, and the marksmanship. The most neglected stats are constitution, dexterity, perception, and intelligence. Some things like stealth are detached from the battle stats and skills, which shouldn't be the case at all. Some gilds are too hard to get by the ones who need them while being unneeded by the people who are developed enough to make them (most of the guilded clothing sold on the market are leftovers from people's crafts. If you won't bother to gild the charisma gilds for yourself, there is a little chance for you doing it in purpose for the market). The battle gear could more more diverse and interesting in terms of choosing stealth or ranger path and etc.

Sidenote for recycling the gear:
From my experience, it is better to not to recycle the stuff you are making. The benefits are quite low, while you could just sell the leftover on the market. Imho, the chances of opening the second slot and etc. after recycling should be higher.

Google Doc used for the analysis:
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Re: Feedback: Gilding System 1.0

Postby jordancoles » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:47 am

+1
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby zebratul » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:18 am

Just pool all you sewing affinity clothing items, jorbtar, and randomize their affinities.
Even that would be better then the current situation.
zebratul

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:30 am

There has been an ambition to make sewing particularly relevant for gilding, and I think that is as it should be.

Thank you for the post, however. Will consider.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby mdsanta » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:57 pm

jorb wrote:There has been an ambition to make sewing particularly relevant for gilding, and I think that is as it should be..

If i may I'd say then the formula of calculating the opening next slot should consider sewing skill as it's integral part everywhere. That way you have it influencing ALL the guilding.

At the moment, as you see, there is tons of cloths which focus on improving sewing skill.. which doesn't help to guild the rest of the clothing.

... and lack of other bonuses form clothes as LadyGoo said..
mdsanta

Postby SacreDoom » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:31 pm

I agree with the sentiment that if the sewing skill is intended to be integral in gilding, it should just always factor into the calculation.

The current system results in quite a lot of gildings that are almost never useful.
SacreDoom

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Kinda wishin' for a gildable article of clothing that accepts dexterity gilds?

Laddies Cap seems smart as it already accepts sewing, or another article of clothing entirely!

As for unarmed gildings: Seems like a good thing to make leather gloves and gauntlets focused on!
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Tamalak » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:29 pm

I feel like there should be a 'compatibility' rating between gilding and articles of clothing. Some kinds of gilding should be more appropriate for some clothes than others. That would give clothing items more personality than just blank slates to dump stats onto.

And yeah, what everyone else said about sewing. Sewing should ALWAYS be a factor in this, even if I'm sticking bark to a weed shirt. Knowing how to over-under properly will help it stick.
Tamalak

Postby jorb » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Tamalak wrote:I feel like there should be a 'compatibility' rating between gilding and articles of clothing. Some kinds of gilding should be more appropriate for some clothes than others. That would give clothing items more personality than just blank slates to dump stats onto.

That's already the case, though.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Return to Critique & Ideas