Growing Grass

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Growing Grass

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:46 am

Granger wrote:
Fierce_Deity wrote:I like most of this, but it feels like its over complicating it. Lots of stages sounds good for grass tho, but I'm on the fence as to whether animals should be able to eat it directly.

Grazing is the classic and proven way of feeding lifestock, before some sick fucks decided it was a good idea to head toward abominations (NSFV).

Alright i'll cede this point to you. I just didn't feel like grazing to this extent would fit haven. I also like hay bales.

Granger wrote: Your reasoning for this, please?
FYI: Taking the water table into account is not ment to change the growth speed by some orders of magnitude, only slightly to give a pleasant visual effect and should you really want maximum production you would have to plan ahead a bit (location, location, location: a moist meadow leads to faster growth of juicy stuff to graze). Manual watering also isn't required at all, but could be used to speed up creating a meadow from scratch (by planting some tiles and water them so they more quickly come to the stage where they'll have a chance to spread on their own or can be harvested for seeds.) or restoration to a healthy stage level after overpopulation or harvesting hay (without needing to move away the cattle or supplying food in troughs to keep the meadow from being eaten down even more).

For starters, we don't water other crops, and frankly watering huge amounts of grass sounds exhausting and pointless. It sounds like a mechanic that only botters would be able to take advantage of. They could add something to make watering multiple tiles easy, but that opens the door to things I would rather not see in the game. Like having to water everything.
As for the water level...well I just don't see grass reaching its roots down more than a foot or two into the ground. Certainly not the depth that our wells are reaching. Having the water table affect the growth of something like grass or even other crops is silly. If you want the grass to not grow evenly then just suggest that.

Granger wrote:That's in there: add fertilizer to raise the chance of q increase or - if you're lazy - add animals ontop of it so they add the fertilizer for you.

I was just sort of reaffirming this point, not suggesting it wasn't in there.
Fierce_Deity

Postby viznew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 pm

planted grass q whould be amazing, thou i picture it just the seed q used wouldnt be worth a ton of effort to upkeep its a lazy mans ranch idea so feed def better for q but id enjoy better grass

ImageImage
viznew

Postby GamingRAM » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Growing grass please jorb.
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby Luanes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 pm

please, give us some grass <3
Luanes

Postby jorb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 am

I could definitely see doing more with this, but I don't think we're there yet. Wouldn't mind some of the ideas in this thread.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Granger » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:18 pm

As a year has passed and the new world slowly tightens the tedium tentacles around the farmers... time for a bump.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas