Barrel Racks (Concept "Art")

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Barrel Racks (Concept "Art")

Postby t1jesusman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:19 am

Give us the option to make Racks for Barrels.
I did some searching first, and i don't doubt it's been requested before. but here it is now.

2 Barrel holding rack that takes 1 tile.
Simple enough functionality. Build the rack: Thinking boards, maybe glue, string and possibly metal nugget (soft probably preferred).
Pick up barrel, right click rack. click the barrel to remove it.
You can't open barrels while in the rack (just like every other container of this kind).
Should be lift able, if empty.

4 Barrel holding rack takes 2x1 tile space.
Boards, wood blocks, leather maybe and probably a hard metal bar, glue, idk what else.

non moveable likely.

-Update 11-29-2016-
Spent the majority of my evening working on this, went to color it in and merge/erase overlap and realized it was portioned way off on the bottom rack. I know a work around but it will take a while to make it look right and I gotta get ready for work in the morning. But I think it's enough to get the general idea :)

I used a slightly smaller barrel for this (roughly 10% smaller) to keep it somewhat in proportion.

These took longer than i thought to make, but I made these mock ups more as practice and the idea has been in my head for a few couple of days now. Learned a lot. You might notice some improvements between the first normal rack and the double rack.

[edit]
I forgot to mention that this idea is an Either/Or situation. Like if they like the idea of the 4 rack appeals to them they go with that, or the 2 rack. I also didn't have enough time/forgot to make the mock up for the 3 barrel rack (1x2 tiles).

I didn't like the huge attachments at the bottom of the page so I posted the images else where. Let me know if they don't show up in the spoilers.
Last edited by t1jesusman on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
t1jesusman

Re: Barrel Racks (Concept "Art")

Postby Burinn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:20 am

Pretty nifty.

+1
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby Onep » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:27 am

That's pretty cool. Could even make them out of variable materials and also make variable barrels. Color-coded barrrels!
I don't think it'd be necessary to make the material cost so high. I think it'd be on level with cupboards. You could easily make a rack out of nothing but wooden beams and pegs.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby t1jesusman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:39 am

material costs are subject to what the overlords think a thing like this would cost.

probably tar and other random stuff (like the garden shed).

For the 2 barrel rack maybe 2-4 logs and 4 boards and 4 or so string. low tier stuff for fairly early on. Maybe glue so it's not abused right away.

For the jumbo 4 barrel rack I'd expect the cost to be a little higher. A full keg of liquid can be pretty heavy and you don't want your rack held together with twigs and string. maybe not a full hard metal ingot, but metal brackets to keep it together for sure, so maybe hard/soft nuggets.
t1jesusman

Postby Onep » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:46 am

t1jesusman wrote:material costs are subject to what the overlords think a thing like this would cost.

probably tar and other random stuff (like the garden shed).

For the 2 barrel rack maybe 2-4 logs and 4 boards and 4 or so string. low tier stuff for fairly early on. Maybe glue so it's not abused right away.

For the jumbo 4 barrel rack I'd expect the cost to be a little higher. A full keg of liquid can be pretty heavy and you don't want your rack held together with twigs and string. maybe not a full hard metal ingot, but metal brackets to keep it together for sure, so maybe hard/soft nuggets.

The beams could be thick girthy timbers. It could still easily be a solid block/board construction. Glue and tar seem unnecessary additions. If you really want to waste metal, I could see forcing metal into it. But then you're just reducing the utility of it. From the mock-ups you're really only doubling up on your storage, and even then you could probably come close to that density with simple shift-click placement.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby t1jesusman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:48 am

I added and edit to my original post to reflect that this was a: "if you like one go with that" or "at least give us one of these"

but Both and/or a third option would be nice. :D
t1jesusman

Postby reebz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:54 am

i dig this.
the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows
reebz

Postby zebratul » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:26 am

Looks pretty.
Log racks is and old but cool idea too.
zebratul

Postby Granger » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:44 am

While I think logs might be overkill as material (so my guess is you ment blocks) I like the idea and would prefer the liftable two barrel one tile version (as more of them can be put together for the size needed by the player).

Question about the interface: how to differentiate between opening and taking?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby reebz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:59 am

Granger wrote: Question about the interface: how to differentiate between opening and taking?

same as a cart or a knarr i would expect. open it for the top and bottom barrel, take it out accordingly. put them back in with right click.
the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows
reebz

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas