A Plea for Decay (World)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

A Plea for Decay (World)

Postby Granger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:47 am

Currently decay is only applied to active (loaded) parts of the map. This leads to the well known problems with trees and bushes not regrowing and abandoned but remote (thus not loaded) player build structures not being culled and keep littering the landscape. Hence this proposal to make the world nicer and longer lived:

1) When saving map sections the ingame timestamp should be also stored. On loading them the engine should not simply skip time for that tile to the now-and-here but internally fast-forward through what would have happened decay wise, taking dwindeling authority for claims (protecting stuff) into account. Containers destroyed by decay would spill their contents normally but with the timers (that get attached to on-ground items to determine when they will despawn) adjusted to the virtual moment in the past when the simulated decay hit stroke, leading to them vanishing correctly as if they had lain around for the time.

2) Hearth fires should also degrade when not used for a while and turn into normal fires that are subject to normal decay. The server should still track the location with the character, enabling to spawn at the original HF location in case it is still accessible by the character (empty tile or with unlit fire & not covered by a claim the character lacks permission to). Destruction of an active HF by a player should still work as-is and default to wilderness spawn.

3) Pavement tiles could (when being unclaimed) slowly accumulate decay till reaching a threshold and then revert back to normal ground. Traversing them could reset the counter so that only inactive areas get affected by this.

4) Trees could go through a lifecycle to make the world more alive, one approach could be to trigger a variation of Conway's Game of Life rules through decay hits to make this happen.

This together would walk abandoned areas through matching states of oblivion, massage trees and bushes to (re)grow (as if a character would have idled next to them to keep the map alive) and cull the forsaken random Hearth Fires and player build stuff all over the world to transform it slowly back to a pristine state, given enough time.

Ideas to make this technically feasible without bogging down the server:
- The code to spill container contents should detect that it is running in fast-forward catchup-to-now mode and simply skip instantiation of items whos timer would expire before now().
- To avoid excessive runtime the code could scale the weight of decay hits for cases of longer inactivity, so less individual decay hits would need to be applied to the area while being subjected to the same cumulative amount of decay.
- Map areas could get a flag to track player based modification (placing objects, taking branches/chopping trees, digging), could be a simple counter that is set to a (reasonable) value and reduced with every decay hit that 'misses' (dosn't change stuff) but reset on decay hitting stuff (soil changes, also gobjs protected by a claim). This would lead to areas that are not changed by decay (like pristing wilderness areas that are not interacted with) being excempted from further decay until a player gives a reason to apply it again.
Last edited by Granger on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Re: A Plea for Decay

Postby zebratul » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:12 pm

Having pavement and planted lawns slowly decay into normal biomes when un-claimed would make landscape look so much better, when all the abandoned places revert back to nature.
zebratul

Postby shubla » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:37 pm

First place that I made in this world is still 100% fresh. But its not that bad. Dont fix it as theres nothing to fix.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ysh » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:02 pm

This suggesting (or some other implementation that accomplish same goal) must be inevitability if world is not regular resetting.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby jordancoles » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:12 pm

Hf decay was in salem and it was pretty ugly

Also, assume you log out outside of your palisade and take a break from the game, your hf decays inside and your pali remains with the gates closed

GG you cant get back in
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Ysh » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:13 pm

jordancoles wrote:Hf decay was in salem and it was pretty ugly

Also, assume you log out outside of your palisade and take a break from the game, your hf decays inside and your pali remains with the gates closed

GG you cant get back in

Make hearth fires last at least as long as claim can last.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Granger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:16 pm

What was the timeframe on HF decay there?

Who logs out of the game for some months outside the palisade?

Also the server should still track the location of the fire, in case it would have decayed completely the palisade would most likely also be history...
Granger

Postby jordancoles » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Granger wrote:
What was the timeframe on HF decay there?

Quicker than youd expect

And if you ported to boston before your break and your hf decayed you would literally have to walk all of the way back; if you could remember where your base was.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Granger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:50 pm

jordancoles wrote:Quicker than youd expect
Well, if the fire is on the claim then it would be protected by it anyway (while authoritly lasts).
But I thought about 30 or 45 (RL) days of inactivity before they turn (should have written that), wouldn't a claim not also be be empty after time?
Granger

Postby sMartins » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Totally agree about decay, most of all hf decay and revert back anything to wilderness status. Would be awesome even tree lifecycle, and that stuff...but i guess this could be very tricky to add cause the heavy load it would require....but still if possible, it would be awesome.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas