"Consumption" Rights

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

"Consumption" Rights

Postby DaniAngione » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:40 am

Hello there.

This is a very simple idea that has been requested in various ways before... It's about the long and annoying problem with the current system of "rights" we can give to people and strangers inside our claims or village claims (with Field Cairn).

Trespassing, Theft and Vandalism work for most of the game aspects but they fail in now allowing for the creation of public spaces where consumption is allowed;
For example: you can sit on chairs and interact with tables by having "Trespassing" rights but you can only eat or drink their beer, wine and water by having "Theft" rights.
Theft rights, however, would also allow you to fill your backpack with their decorative swords, shields and hides and port away with a table filled with symbelware on top of your head :roll:

That has been a pain for those with a mind for public spaces for quite a while and there are several others suggesting ways to overcome this same issue. (I think LadyGoo once suggested a container branding system or something like that, for example).
I particularly like my idea because it's quite simple and works with already in-game mechanics.

So here is the idea:
The creation of a fourth type of "right" - Consumption. So we would have, in that order: Trespassing, Consumption, Theft and Vandalism.

What is Consumption?
Consumption is a new type of right that allows characters to "consume" certain materials or resources that are meant to be consumed without having rights to steal other stuff that are not meant to be consumed.

Some examples of what would "Consumption" allow:
- Eating from tables (using the 'Feast' button)
- Filling flasks/skins/cups/etc with fluids from barrels (water, beer, wine...)
- Carving meat from roasting spits
- Eating from troughs (for animals owned/last owned by the person with the Consumption rights)

This is a simple and elegant solution that would allow truly "public" spaces to exist. Inns and taverns, public feasts, etc... All within the safe rules of the game instead of having to either allow strangers to steal you or worse (by inviting them to a party). That would also allow for these public spaces to "function" even when their owners are offline, by having food and drink stored and read to be consumed by visitors and traders.

I'm sure this is a nice change that would be welcome by a lot of people that have this mindset of creating public spaces and locations... And would solve one of the biggest issues for the existance of said things right now.
It also seems to be intended behaviour, considering all the nice changes we've had since Hafen was out like visitor buffs, branding and hitching of mounts, etc...

There are several events and things being planned across the community for the end of the year - including myself here - so if possible, please consider this with a bit of priority :) I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it!

Thanks for the attention and feel free to comment about it!
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Re: "Consumption" Rights

Postby Bowshot125 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:17 am

Or just have something related to Guest rights to enable feasting n stuff like this.
Bowshot125

Postby LadyGoo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:21 am

+1. I've actually suggested that eating from tables wouldn't considered to be a theft. That way it would be possible to have actual taverns without implementing additional rights option.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby DaniAngione » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:21 am

Bowshot125 wrote:Or just have something related to Guest rights to enable feasting n stuff like this.

That would probably allow people to feast from tables they aren't supposed to, though... like people that have their tables outside and all that (because of the bonfire) would have to wall their tables to prevent this.
Having a new type of "right" would be perfect because it would allow us to literally designate where people are supposed to be able to freely eat/feast :)

And it's a very simple solution in the sense that wouldn't dramatically change any mechanic or anything, would just add another toggle option that people could click (or ignore it forever and that would be it) :)

LadyGoo wrote:+1. I've actually suggested that eating from tables wouldn't considered to be a theft. That way it would be possible to have actual taverns without implementing additional rights option.

Oh, yes. I remember it now.

Yeah, would work too. I do like the idea of an additional right for things like being able to have tables outside that wouldn't be used if not meant to AND for allowing drinks to be consumed too, having barrels of wine or beer inside the Inn so people can fill their glasses and such, that would be quite nice :) Thanks for the support nonetheless, I'm sure Sevilla would appreciate the flexbility
W15 ???
DaniAngione

Postby LadyV » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:34 pm

I agree permissions need further refinement.
LadyV

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:49 pm

+1. This is a good idea.

I remember way back a few worlds ago, when I was a noob. I wanted to start a farm and a hostel for noobs such as myself to lodge in if they found it and needed a place to stay. Trashed. Everything taken without any consideration for the intention behind it. Now if I could have put up a claim I could have protected everything, but who would be able to take my food without taking my tables and crates?

Consumption rights, between trespassing and theft, needs to be here for the general public.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby FictionRyu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:17 am

Interesting idea. I like it! +1
Scooby Doo taught us that the real monsters are humans.
FictionRyu

Postby Schattengaenger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:18 am

+1 I'd like to see that, too.

You keep a place alive by a flow of guests, traders, Workers &c. But would they even consider visiting a place where they ain't offered food and/or shelter?
and since there is no way with all the diffrent timezones and the rather little amount of people that you have enough guards to enforce laws like "Don't steal a table full of food and symbelware from this inn" and such, we need to be granted a power that will enforce it for us.
I look forward to build my very own tavern. I guess I'll need to get into studing russian ... I dislike it to just be able to serve the part of the world that posses at least a basic english vocabulary.
Schattengaenger

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks everyone for showing support so far :3

Hopefully we'll see it (or something else designed for that same purpose) in the game soon :)
W15 ???
DaniAngione

Postby jorb » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Walking down this slope is slippery, and soon there'll be a million permissions.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas