Special items/unique craftables

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Special items/unique craftables

Postby ven » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:39 am

As you know, daniangione is making an end of the year party. People will come, feast, talk and have fun. Something like this is unlikely to happen again until w10.

Now, on that thread someone suggested this:
iamahh wrote:we should craft 9 rings during the party and pretend they're magic

Trolling apart, the suggestion does have merit.
Unlike most other rpgs, haven doesn't come with an established lore. We don't find legendary artifacts, or a sword that was used to kill some evil despot. After reading the about page we quickly infer that's because the devs want the players to create that lore.

That's all fine, only that we can't do that well - apart form very few exceptions (runestones and parchments mostly), we don't have the ingame tools to create that lore. All kingdoms are the same, there's no way to copy and autoplay sheet music, books don't exist, and so on (all this is repeated often).

So there will be this party, and in it the host could want to give 9 rings to his favorite guests in a ceremony as a reminder of the event. That's also amazing, but those rings won't be special at all: they'll be same q89 ferryman's silver or something. There won't be any way to determine their uniqueness.

My suggestion is this: implement a mechanic to create unique versions of regular items. Functionally, they're the same, but on a mouseover (or after buying an Appraisal/Hearthlands History skill) they would show additional information: its name, its crafter's name, and its place of crafting, for example: Old World Glory Ring, crafted by X, at the village Wulf's Retreat, in the Ivory Kingdom.

How that's done doesn't matter, but there probably needs to be some effort barrier to avoid this becoming trivial: maybe the crafter should have to pay 5000 XP for each unique creation, or maybe it should cost gold and silver to do so.

Why this at all? Because if you want us to give meaning to the game and create a living world, we need more tools to do so. I think unique items are a great step in that direction.
Venator
ven

Re: Special items/unique craftables

Postby Adder1234 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:47 am

+1
One of my favourite things about haven is that it's up to the players to build the history and lore of the world. A mechanic like this would make it the game much more immersive.
Adder1234

Postby sMartins » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:02 am

Yeah...it could be very immersive. I think also there should be a random feature, completly hidden to players, that gives some buff at some items/resources all around the map....lets say..something like in a particular spot of the map there should be a place that allow you to make a slightly better wine than everywhere else...and so on...
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Darruin » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:22 am

It's a cool idea. I also think you should be able to permanently affix your name to items after a certain amount of use or a certain cost. It would just change to "[item] of [player name].

For the unique crafting, I don't think it should cost xp or anything grindable. I think characters should just have a set amount of uniques they can craft in their lifetime. It would make them more... unique.
Darruin

Postby jorb » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Branding and artifice would be nice, yes.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Return to Critique & Ideas