Hafen's Development: alternative vision

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Hafen's Development: alternative vision

Postby NotJimmy97 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:15 am

Kaios wrote:
NotJimmy97 wrote:Boo hoo. Make a specific complaint or don't complain at all. "This all feels wrong and the botters make me feel sad" is not constructive criticism; it is whining.

I've given plenty more suggestions than you ever will, all far better than this idiotic idea for menial task performing minions. It's up to the devs to choose a solution.

I don't believe you. You have no idea how people actually behave in video games. You don't even have a concrete reason for disliking my solution. You just think it's 'stopping to their level'.

Again, come up with a real solution, come up with a real criticism, or don't complain.
NotJimmy97

Postby Kaios » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:17 am

I don't care if you don't believe me, this idea is still bad and I already explained why earlier. If you're too stupid to process the words in all the previous posts I've given that isn't my problem. Great talking with you.
Kaios

Postby NotJimmy97 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:18 am

If anyone far more reasonable than this guy wants to read my idea, here it is, so that you don't have to dig through the thread to read it:
NotJimmy97 wrote:I propose a simple system for how this can work:
1. Add the equivalent of a Runed Dolmen for this helper creature, some kind of altar. Requires a skill that costs ~50,000-100,000LP or some number that's not trivially achievable by new players.
2. Using an axe, you can hammer runes into the altar that will specify an Action, an Area, and a Storage. The action can be one thing, such as 'Take Branches', 'Chop Wood', 'Harvest Crops', etc. The Area is the space where the creature will do the Action, and the Storage is either a container or a location, or a location of containers, where the creature deposits/stockpiles his inventory.
3. Every altar you own has a flat resource requirement that applies across every altar. This is randomized across all your altars every time you summon a creature, which prevents abuse three-fold. You can't construct a bunch of altars to try and get the cheapest requirement, you can't summon a bunch of creatures at once unless you just happen to have the right stuff stockpiled, and the skill-requirement works to prevent people from making altar-alts.
4. An altar also has space for a tool, if your Action requires a tool. The tool's quality is effectively reduced to 10 when the creature is using it. No special quality-raising when you're using a creature.
5. If your specified Action would normally require some extra labor on your behalf, like raising strength/pick-quality for mining in deeper cave levels, an extra resource cost is added.

I think that this system will work well because the bots will be too stupid and expensive for doing the specialized tasks you're talking about, but they're smart enough to accomplish menial things that nobody wants to do. What do you think? Do you see any vulnerabilities for abuse?
NotJimmy97

Postby Kaios » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:23 am

Kaios wrote:Wait I have a better idea how about the devs make a new game maybe the game could even be built around users creating scripts and cute bot armies... kind of like that shitty game someone advertised on the forum already.

dageir wrote:And lets cut to the chase: Can botting be made into an universal law in this game as it is right now,and can the game be sustained over time? If everyone is basing their play on botting, the most likely outcome would be that
people who are not into botting would quit the game, because having the computer play the game for you would be utterly boring. You would however have a few remaining "players" who would be very interested in botting left.

I predict a grim future for this game unless one choose one of these paths:
1. Implement an in game bot-creation tool that is fun and entertaining that can be used by everyone and his dog. (Wasnt there a game that was mentioned on these forums that went in that direvtion? Topia? Where is Topia today?)
2. Ban bots and punish the bot users severly to allow influx of new (and old) players who actually like to play the game as it is.

I'm for #2
Kaios

Postby NotJimmy97 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:25 am

Kaios wrote:I'm for #2

It's a bad idea, dude. You aren't actually fixing the problem, you're just exiling the players who are taking advantage of vulnerabilities in the way that the game works.

If you don't actually fix the vulnerabilities, more people will come and bot. Jorb & Loftar have said in the past that they aren't going to ban botters, for this exact reason.

Look at it this way: there are tons of games that pursue your tactic. WoW probably didn't have botters either when it was a smaller community, but because it's gained popularity, half of China is working part-time as gold farmers. They get banned, yeah. Blizzard tries to sue goldselling sites when they can, but it's still a problem. Because players ought to bot if they don't want to spend as much time.
NotJimmy97

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas