Hafen's Development: alternative vision

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Hafen's Development: alternative vision

Postby NotJimmy97 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:33 am

borka wrote:so the player count will stay creepy ... like the income ...

"I want the game to be ruined just for me because I have money."

This is all I'm hearing.
NotJimmy97

Postby borka » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:44 am

go see a doctor with your hearing loss ...

/flame end
borka

Postby NotJimmy97 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:46 am

borka wrote:go see a doctor with your hearing loss ...

/flame end

What am I misinterpreting here? You want a special version of Haven & Hearth just for you, and when people inevitably grief you because of how flawed the game-mode is, you want Jorb & Loftar to come to your rescue and ban them? And they should listen to you because otherwise their income will be 'creepy'? (interesting choice of vocab there).

What am I missing exactly? If you want a resource collection game with zero PVP and zero interesting social interactions, then FarmVille is an excellent option.
NotJimmy97

Postby Kaios » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:26 pm

Hey NotJimmy I really enjoy how you've responded to borka's suggestion for a non-pvp zone which is almost as bad as the idea to turn the game in to minion controlling RTS yet you neglect to respond to any of the completely valid points I brought up. Great use of your time, I'm certain you're going to convince the devs this is the route they should take.
Kaios

Postby LadyGoo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:33 pm

That neediness. :D "You've ignored my amazing and absolutely right points, but responded to some no-name Borka. What a waste of time!".
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Kaios » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:34 pm

LadyGoo wrote:That neediness. :D "You've ignored my amazing and absolutely right points, but responded to some no-name Borka. What a waste of time!".

Well it kind of was unless you're saying borka has a good idea, I don't think it's that great.
Kaios

Postby LadyGoo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:38 pm

There is a reason why people ignore you, nah?
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Kaios » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:40 pm

LadyGoo wrote:There is a reason why people ignore you, nah?

NotJimmy97 wrote:You gave an idea for a game-mode, and I replied with my earnest explanation for why that idea is terrible. That's how this board works, right?
Kaios

Postby NotJimmy97 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:08 pm

Kaios wrote:Hey NotJimmy I really enjoy how you've responded to borka's suggestion for a non-pvp zone which is almost as bad as the idea to turn the game in to minion controlling RTS yet you neglect to respond to any of the completely valid points I brought up. Great use of your time, I'm certain you're going to convince the devs this is the route they should take.

I didn't intentionally ignore your points, I was just caught up responding to someone else. I apologize.

Kaios wrote:Farming is a good first step but mining is pretty boring too so I'd like to see an area selection implemented for that with auto drinking and stockpiling. I'm rather tired of making bricks too so hopefully it can just be changed so a simple shift click will start the process and empty the inventory to any empty nearby kilns or put to stockpiles which are also being loaded in to the kilns automatically. Building the walls is really boring too so once the script is done pulling all the bricks from the kilns it should just move to building which would be easily designated by highlighting the paved rows. Also the paving happens simultaneously during the leveling process which is also automatic. Oh don't forget about milking that shit is lame to do manually like really how do u expect me to milk all 50 of my cows and all 50 of my sheep with only two buckets in a timely fashion?!

You're acting like this is a slippery-slope, but it doesn't have to be. Allowing every-day players the ability to finish the most tedious, menial tasks without grinding for hours everyday is just a way to remove the incentive to use outside programs to gain an advantage over other players. Yes, I think there should be some sort of summon-able guest or spirit that will farm for you, mine for you, cut down trees for you, and do some basic inventory management. The reason why is because these facets do not add to the value of the game. The most successful and most devoted players of the game have programmed outside software simply to avoid these experiences. This leaves us with two options: completely remake farming, mining, logging, and other facets such that people don't want to bot them, or add an option for players to sacrifice large amounts of other resources in order to handle these menial tasks in less time.

I propose a simple system for how this can work:
1. Add the equivalent of a Runed Dolmen for this helper creature, some kind of altar. Requires a skill that costs ~50,000-100,000LP or some number that's not trivially achievable by new players.
2. Using an axe, you can hammer runes into the altar that will specify an Action, an Area, and a Storage. The action can be one thing, such as 'Take Branches', 'Chop Wood', 'Harvest Crops', etc. The Area is the space where the creature will do the Action, and the Storage is either a container or a location, or a location of containers, where the creature deposits/stockpiles his inventory.
3. Every altar you own has a flat resource requirement that applies across every altar. This is randomized across all your altars every time you summon a creature, which prevents abuse three-fold. You can't construct a bunch of altars to try and get the cheapest requirement, you can't summon a bunch of creatures at once unless you just happen to have the right stuff stockpiled, and the skill-requirement works to prevent people from making altar-alts.
4. An altar also has space for a tool, if your Action requires a tool. The tool's quality is effectively reduced to 10 when the creature is using it. No special quality-raising when you're using a creature.
5. If your specified Action would normally require some extra labor on your behalf, like raising strength/pick-quality for mining in deeper cave levels, an extra resource cost is added.

I think that this system will work well because the bots will be too stupid and expensive for doing the specialized tasks you're talking about, but they're smart enough to accomplish menial things that nobody wants to do. What do you think? Do you see any vulnerabilities for abuse?
NotJimmy97

Postby Kaios » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:14 pm

NotJimmy97 wrote:You're acting like this is a slippery-slope, but it doesn't have to be.

You're right it doesn't have to be, but it is.

The most successful and most devoted players of the game have programmed outside software simply to avoid these experiences.

lol

I think that this system will work well because the bots will be too stupid and expensive for doing the specialized tasks you're talking about, but they're smart enough to accomplish menial things that nobody wants to do. What do you think? Do you see any vulnerabilities for abuse?

I don't really see any issues as far as abuse of such a system would go but what does it change exactly? Any material costs involved would be circumvented by the players with the better scripts/clients anyways while everyone else who may actually need to take advantage of the implementation is forced to pay the LP cost and follow the rules you've outlined. Does that seem like it's leveling the playing field to you? Doesn't seem that way to me.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas