Scent Stacking & Nidbanes

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Scent Stacking & Nidbanes

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Currently, nidbanes don't have much of a bite. Whether this is because they can be cheesed or is because they are just too weak in general isn't really a factor in this idea.
Scents left by hearthlings are left for every individual action, or start of an action. What I would like to see is a new system put in place for scents that causes them to stack on themselves. Stacked scents will be able to create more powerful nidbanes, and thus give a higher chance of punishing those who did more crime.

Some criteria for scent stacking:
Scents must be of the same type to stack
Scents must be left by the same player to stack
Some system must be in place to prevent stacking of the same scent with itself.

I was thinking that scents could stack up to 10 times, and each additional scent gives the nidbane a 5% bonus. So a fully stacked theft scent could summon a 50% stronger nidbane than a unstacked single could. These are just for fun numbers, keep that in mind. The bonus could also vary depending on the type of scent left. Vandal could go up to 75%, murder to even a 100% if you somehow managed to get 10 murder scents on one guy. This would somewhat help with those who just smash every container and smelter people have.
This seems like a nice way to increase the threat of nidbanes to those who are more deserving of them. Of course I suppose with a bucket full of alts you could avoid this system, but we can apply the alt argument to everything. Alternatively to scent stacking, the quality of the scent could just go up.

More Nidbane Improvement
We should really make it so when someone challenges a nidbane it temporarily gains their stats, or whatever multiplier the nidbane had on the original guy. So if an alt is used, and then the real character challenges it, they have to fight it as if it were meant for them. Not sure if multiple people can aggro the nidbanes, but if so the highest statted character should be what the nidbane bases theirs off of. This would help ensure that there is some risk to aggroing nidbanes early.

Thoughts on these?
Fierce_Deity

Re: Scent Stacking & Nidbanes

Postby Burinn » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:29 pm

You'd be surprised by the number of people who lose highly developed characters to nidbanes regularly I think.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby Kaios » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:33 pm

Burinn wrote:You'd be surprised by the number of people who lose highly developed characters to nidbanes regularly I think.

Nah, you wouldn't be. This comment is misleading so I'd just ignore it, nidbanes suck and don't even work correctly half the time.
Kaios

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:33 pm

I was more interested in having scents stack than powering up nidbanes, but I did think they were on the weak side. If not, then perhaps weakening the nidbanes base stats, coupled with this idea would be good. Then those who accidently punch a wall or something silly are at less risk than someone who bashed every houses contents.
Fierce_Deity

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Kaios wrote:
Burinn wrote:You'd be surprised by the number of people who lose highly developed characters to nidbanes regularly I think.

Nah, you wouldn't be. This comment is misleading so I'd just ignore it, nidbanes suck and don't even work correctly half the time.

No, nidbanes are fucking spooky since the combat update. If you get multiple nidbanes you can get roasted.
DDDsDD999

Postby Burinn » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:34 pm

Kaios wrote:

If you want to ignore the monthly/bi-weekly threads titled "XYZ died to my nidbanes what a loser" then yeah sure. But I don't think doing that is going to do you any good.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby Ysh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:50 pm

Fierce_Deity wrote:Currently, nidbanes don't have much of a bite. Whether this is because they can be cheesed or is because they are just too weak in general isn't really a factor in this idea.
Scents left by hearthlings are left for every individual action, or start of an action. What I would like to see is a new system put in place for scents that causes them to stack on themselves. Stacked scents will be able to create more powerful nidbanes, and thus give a higher chance of punishing those who did more crime.

Some criteria for scent stacking:
Scents must be of the same type to stack
Scents must be left by the same player to stack
Some system must be in place to prevent stacking of the same scent with itself.

I was thinking that scents could stack up to 10 times, and each additional scent gives the nidbane a 5% bonus. So a fully stacked theft scent could summon a 50% stronger nidbane than a unstacked single could. These are just for fun numbers, keep that in mind. The bonus could also vary depending on the type of scent left. Vandal could go up to 75%, murder to even a 100% if you somehow managed to get 10 murder scents on one guy. This would somewhat help with those who just smash every container and smelter people have.
This seems like a nice way to increase the threat of nidbanes to those who are more deserving of them. Of course I suppose with a bucket full of alts you could avoid this system, but we can apply the alt argument to everything. Alternatively to scent stacking, the quality of the scent could just go up.

More Nidbane Improvement
We should really make it so when someone challenges a nidbane it temporarily gains their stats, or whatever multiplier the nidbane had on the original guy. So if an alt is used, and then the real character challenges it, they have to fight it as if it were meant for them. Not sure if multiple people can aggro the nidbanes, but if so the highest statted character should be what the nidbane bases theirs off of. This would help ensure that there is some risk to aggroing nidbanes early.

Thoughts on these?

I think problem of nidbane is same as problem of siege. Too binary results.

Nidbane is very power -> men cry for nidbane cannot be beat and they are kill for no risk from killer.
Nidbane is very weakness -> men cry for nidbane is useless creature.

I would rather see nidbane always do some punishment, but never kill. Punishment quantity is relative to evil of crime, quality of fetter, amount of crime, and so on. Maybe you still must fight it, but even if you fight it very best you still become punish, but less and if you are just afk you become punish more, but still not kill.

Punishment can be whatever e.g. healable or unhealable wound, unable to log out, unable to use teleport, etc. Maybe these things like no charter and no log out that I see people complain for often can be remove and instead tie it to nidbanes with duration of debuff scale with punishment. Some things like this maybe can be better.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby dafels » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:52 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
Kaios wrote:

No, nidbanes are fucking spooky since the combat update. If you get multiple nidbanes you can get roasted.

this
dafels

Return to Critique & Ideas