Achievement System

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Achievement System

Postby Kaios » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:29 pm

shubla wrote:If I dont like the idea. I should tell it.

ya if you have some better criticism perhaps but you never do so I'd be more inclined to tell you to fuck off

There are plenty of possibilities for achievements that would make it more interesting than "squishing 100 ant hills" and it goes beyond simply completing the achievement as I've seen people request before that it would be nice to be able keep track of information like that, how many of a specific animal killed, how many of whatever food eaten and so on.

So you have the data tracking aspect and then you have the achievement aspect itself. I think it would be cool if some guy killed 10,000 bears and you see a system message pop up "So and so has completed X achievement."

Awards associated with completing an achievement could range from character titles to unique items to random but useful stuff. It's not like the mechanic itself has to entail going out and grinding out specific achievement but rather you can eventually completely them through the natural progression of the game while adding a little more interest at the same time.
Kaios

Postby shubla » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Kaios wrote:
shubla wrote:If I dont like the idea. I should tell it.

ya if you have some better criticism perhaps but you never do so I'd be more inclined to tell you to fuck off

There are plenty of possibilities for achievements that would make it more interesting than "squishing 100 ant hills" and it goes beyond simply completing the achievement as I've seen people request before that it would be nice to be able keep track of information like that, how many of a specific animal killed, how many of whatever food eaten and so on.

So you have the data tracking aspect and then you have the achievement aspect itself. I think it would be cool if some guy killed 10,000 bears and you see a system message pop up "So and so has completed X achievement."

Awards associated with completing an achievement could range from character titles to unique items to random but useful stuff. It's not like the mechanic itself has to entail going out and grinding out specific achievement but rather you can eventually completely them through the natural progression of the game while adding a little more interest at the same time.

Idea is bad we already have lore system which is pretty much the same.
We could have "achievements" if devs would add one time lores that would be just harder to achieve.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Kaios » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm

and here is where that inclination comes in: fuck off
Kaios

Postby Onep » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm

I'd like to see a stat tracker for your hearthling's life, a journal of sorts. It'd be cool to see how many boars you've hunted, how many billions of carrots harvested. Maybe distance walked? Boated? There's a bunch of neat tidbits that you could have.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby Onep » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 pm

shubla wrote:Idea is bad we already have lore system which is pretty much the same.
We could have "achievements" if devs would add one time lores that would be just harder to achieve.

The lore system is not the same at all dipshit.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby shubla » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Onep wrote:I'd like to see a stat tracker for your hearthling's life, a journal of sorts. It'd be cool to see how many boars you've hunted, how many billions of carrots harvested. Maybe distance walked? Boated? There's a bunch of neat tidbits that you could have.

This would be cool, but would it be resource intensive for server? I dont know.
In addition to those we could have things like "cheese eaten" "fep bars filled" "distance boated"
Time crafted
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jorb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:22 am

Lore system is at least not entirely dissimilar.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Leez03 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:45 am

When a game has achievement, i know it's a bad game most of time.
Dev add these useless stuff just because they are lazy to add real content
Leez03

Postby sakiji » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Something along those lines is necessary though, in my opinion - primarily for new players.
Could be an achievement system where you can see the goals, or better something like an overworked new player experience.

Recently I introduced a few people to the game, one person asked after doing the first 2 quests. "What do I do now?"
Another invited friends of his to join him to play, but could only convince them after I gave him some screenshots of an already established hermits settlement. "Oh so THATS possible?"

I think most new players (that aren't being invited) will be left quite hanging (in the wild), after doing their first 2 quests, there's no incentive to work at something without the knowledge of what's possible.
With everything that's possible being locked behind specific new skills to buy, and things necessary to discover beforehand I think many people will leave after their first few hours, assuming the game still lacks depth or development.

A more simple way to show what's possible, and incentivizing to strive for it is an overworked trailer.
Maybe work together with the established large kingdom cities to capture some "end-game" material showcasing the depth of the game, and possibly explain the game basics (i.e. content being locked unless you discover the components) in a follow up trailer, so new players know what to expect when entering the game.
Because right now it's not really all that clear.

However, it's of course difficult to determine when it makes sense to work on stuff like that.
If the whole playerbase is just the returning and established players, they wouldn't need something to incentivize them, making it wasted effort. And the half-life of a trailer also needs to be considered depending on the planned content pipeline, so it doesn't become obsolete too quickly.
sakiji

Postby MadNomad » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:51 pm

honestly its just stupid lol :lol: except if some reward was added, then maybe it wouldnt be that bad, because a text to see after doing something is stupid idea, really
MadNomad

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas