Durability & Trade

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Durability & Trade

Postby sMartins » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:45 pm

What about durability? Have you ever discussed about that?
Something like durability on tools, and pretty much whatever....
It could work, for example with tools, more you use your 40q axe more it will lose q, coming back to 10q....
This can open many different scenarios....like specialized resources: some wood and stones (same thing metals) will increase the tool durability, some others will increase the stamina reduction and so on..
Moreover it will boost the trade a bit.....somewhere in the world there could be the best carpenter ever, or etc....that sells his stuff, and you need to keep buying for the durability thing or bringing back your wepaons to sharpen(restore quality),etc... Sounds good to me....
Of course tools should last a reasonable time....not you have to make a new weapon every 5 minutes....
Let me know what you think about.
Last edited by sMartins on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Re: Durability

Postby shubla » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:32 pm

been suggested bofre, has not been added
probably wont be
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ysh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:50 pm

I think jorb say that he do not like ''decay for sake of decay'' a few time in past.

I think maybe you have better luck with suggest opposite mechanic like: craft whetstone, sharpen tool for +X quality for Y usage.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby sMartins » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:57 pm

The main reason should be to boost trade...now once you get your top quality item,etc...trade in that regard dies.
sMartins

Postby Ysh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 pm

sMartins wrote:The main reason should be to boost trade...now once you get your top quality item,etc...trade in that regard dies.

Quantity of item demand goes up if item will break, but each individual item is less valued because it will break. Will player still want to make trip to market every week to buy item again after first one is broken? I am sure seller must make profit too. If buyer must pay this margin every time it is breaking, it will drive him to craft item himself instead maybe. So I am not sure of net effect.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby sMartins » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Ysh wrote:Quantity of item demand goes up if item will break, but each individual item is less valued because it will break.

Idk, you know, there will not be tools that don't break...so i guess the value will be pretty much the same.
Ysh wrote:Will player still want to make trip to market every week to buy item again after first one is broken? I am sure seller must make profit too. If buyer must pay this margin every time it is breaking, it will drive him to craft item himself instead maybe. So I am not sure of net effect.

Well, if you trade for that item is cause you cannot craft it that high quality....and you know having everything the best quality is not that easy.
So there will be a huge trade for a lot of stuff, ....could be cool, idk
sMartins

Postby whitepoint7 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Ysh wrote:Quantity of item demand goes up if item will break, but each individual item is less valued because it will break. Will player still want to make trip to market every week to buy item again after first one is broken? I am sure seller must make profit too. If buyer must pay this margin every time it is breaking, it will drive him to craft item himself instead maybe. So I am not sure of net effect.

you can buy a high q table than trade is done .. when item started to get broken you start to think twice giving somebody a nice pickaxe as gift because it can be broken and you can use it later and this create a business opportunity . you can sell it because making a pickaxe takes effort and wastes your ore now . Prices will find a good balance because everbody want to work with good tools right ? there is a trade hub(s) world 9 .

raw materials demand rise to . this can create a opportunity for hermits to , i mean they can at least mine some ore right ? not a hardcore thing in hafen . Your house can decay without claim but your tools stay safe in your hands , thats funny way to disaggre (for jorb) . one week will be annoying but balance can be find with repair mechanic(or repair tools which work like matchbox and soft capped with your attribute and ability) and whetstone like you said to push q again . Also Higher q tools goes longer time period etc .
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius
whitepoint7

Postby Burinn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:42 pm

None of this addresses the fact it's still decay for the sake of decay. It adds tedium to the game with absolutely no function other than stifling player interaction. Which is already lackluster.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby whitepoint7 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:51 pm

Burinn wrote:None of this addresses the fact it's still decay for the sake of decay. It adds tedium to the game with absolutely no function other than stifling player interaction. Which is already lackluster.

It will decay because it's used maybe ? well either way it will be good twist but if game dev not up to who cares .
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius
whitepoint7

Postby Burinn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 pm

whitepoint7 wrote:
Burinn wrote:None of this addresses the fact it's still decay for the sake of decay. It adds tedium to the game with absolutely no function other than stifling player interaction. Which is already lackluster.

It will decay because it's used maybe ? well either way it will be good twist but if game dev not up to who cares .

Ysh wrote:I think jorb say that he do not like ''decay for sake of decay'' a few time in past.

If you like decay and tedium for the sake of decay and tedium, sure it'd be a "good twist".
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas