Firebrand makes me not want to play the game

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Firebrand makes me not want to play the game

Postby bojackson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Seriously the firebrand mechanic makes me not want to play the game. Several times now I can't get a fire lit after 2-3 tries I just log out. Please fix or make it less annoying. It doesn't add anything to the game except frustration.

If anything it should at least be included in the "convenience time" or whatever for verified and subbed accounts (so it goes faster).

If it at least didn't take so damn long each try I wouldn't mind a fail or 2 once and a while.
Ohhh that's how I make a sig, cool
bojackson

Re: Firebrand makes me not want to play the game

Postby Ysh » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:37 pm

bojackson wrote:Seriously the firebrand mechanic makes me not want to play the game. Several times now I can't get a fire lit after 2-3 tries I just log out. Please fix or make it less annoying. It doesn't add anything to the game except frustration.

If anything it should at least be included in the "convenience time" or whatever for verified and subbed accounts (so it goes faster).

If it at least didn't take so damn long each try I wouldn't mind a fail or 2 once and a while.

Use magic spell to light fire if you are bother so much.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby sMartins » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Come on man...even early game you need to light it once a day, when full you can light branches, when hot you re-light it without firebrand.....later you will have matches and steel and flint.....there are torches,etc... lot of stuff you can do.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Audiosmurf » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:37 pm

You can have a torch within hours of starting. There's barely a reason to ever use firebrands at all.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Burinn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:37 pm

I think firebrands are definitely part of the Haven experience.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby Asgaroth22 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Srsly, if firebrands cause you problems, the game really isn't for you. I think convenience actually counts towards crafting the firebrand
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby Aceb » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:46 pm

bojackson wrote:Seriously the firebrand mechanic makes me not want to play the game. Several times now I can't get a fire lit after 2-3 tries I just log out. Please fix or make it less annoying. It doesn't add anything to the game except frustration.

Man, I remember W9 I was a lot have to try 6-7 times and I wasn't that much disappointment. I GUESS YOU CAN'T JUST PRAY TO RNG GOD!

... or jorb.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby azrid » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:23 am

Just make matches.
azrid

Postby VDZ » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Ysh wrote:

Use magic spell to light fire if you are bother so much.

It's 500 XP. For comparison, for just 1500 I can halve the study time on a curio, or for 1000 I can greatly improve my fishing catch rates and get extra fishing speed. At 100 XP I'd gladly do it, but I'm not going to spend 500 XP every time I need to light a fire.

Audiosmurf wrote:You can have a torch within hours of starting. There's barely a reason to ever use firebrands at all.

Except, you know, to start that initial fire every session, because without a fire in your base torches do nothing.

azrid wrote:Just make matches.

They cost 3 brimstone to make. Each node this world spawned with only a single brimstone, and brimstone decays so you can't slowly gather them over time. In other words, you need to find 3 unharvested geysers before one of them decays in order to create matches early in the game. It's just not happening.
VDZ

Postby Audiosmurf » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:51 pm

VDZ wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:You can have a torch within hours of starting. There's barely a reason to ever use firebrands at all.

Except, you know, to start that initial fire every session, because without a fire in your base torches do nothing.

That was implicit.

If having to make 1-2 firebrands once at the start of a play session is someone's largest gripe with the game, I have no idea how they'd handle all the other (arguably more,) tedious day to day tasks.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas