Nidbane nerf

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Nidbane nerf

Postby Ysh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Granger wrote:Bad ideas here:
- 'stealing' stats since this would just lead to mass-sacrificing alts to get the gains
- 'only one' and the offender would simply pick his own scent after the bad deed and use a low-developed alt to send a low quality, easily defeatable, one
- 'only the victim' is bad as this would give even more incentive to the strategy of scorched earth (destroy all HFs on a raid so they can't

IMHO stuff to think about would be:
- if they shouldn't be attackable by anyone else but their victim (as they're fricking ghosts)
- if, in case others should still be able to attack them, they should buff up according to the character(s) they're in combat with, so simply coming with a better character (or a group of them) wouldn't be an easy solution to them anymore
- removing quality aspects of dolmen and fetter as these reduce the effectiveness for lower developed (or just inherited hermit) characters
- mechanics that allow to avenge crimes without comitting some yourself when having scent(s) of the one you act against

Do you think nidbane should be able to kill?
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:42 pm

- 'stealing' stats since this would just lead to mass-sacrificing alts to get the gains

Huh? No. It would steal a PERCENTAGE of stats, temporarily. If you mass-sacrifice alts you'd lose more by spawning the nidbanes (hard metal or lots of experience) than you would gain (temporary 10% for example, of 10 strength, is 1 strength)
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Zeler » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:01 am

this feel when i almost died to one nigbane
Zeler

Postby Leafstab » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:07 am

spawningmink wrote:
Leafstab wrote:
spawningmink wrote:Nidbanes are extremely broken making leaving scents a suicide mission. Im sure everyone who has had to fight them agrees with me, i think it should be one nidbane sent at a time max and remove armor pen

Nidbanes are too weak vs anyone with a friend or group can easily take out a nidbane, without the ability to send multiples it makes nidbanes no risk to any group

this is not true at all, if you attack a nidbane wiht friends they will all aggro you

That's why 1 max won't work dummy, unless you do what nooby said which may work, personally I feel nidbanes are really strong at the start but will gradually become weaker as people have better gear to fight them off.
Last edited by Leafstab on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leafstab

Postby ninja_yodeler » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:07 am

bladeking230 wrote:Don't nerf them. That's the whole point of doing a crime. You get rekt by a demon.. if you trespass, Death. If you steal, death. You know it's good as a way to stop people doing crimes u less they have high enough levels to fend the demon off. So no to nerf.

You're right that's exactly how sandbox games are meant to work. Plus they scale in level so how high yours are don't matter. I'm all for punishment, but it needs to be oriented towards the repercussions of the aggrieved (beyond summoning spooky scary skeletons to play for you, which could and would be done by anyone passing by), not fear of leaving scents. I mean if someone raids your town, is it even viable any longer to raid/siege them in return? Because in retaliation you'd leave scents yourself and get Nidbane'd for the trouble. Where is the sense?

I'd be happy if the nerf was as simple as Nidbanes waiting infinitely instead of summoning you if you are unable to log in for a day. Players summoning? Totally fine, but something that can bypass the walls and defenses you made with impunity and kill you while offline? Not cool, and just encouraging the use of alts.
At the very least make them unable to kill if they summon you offline. The wounds will still force you to recover but you no longer have to be scared of not playing the game.

Scents are not always left maliciously, and crime is grey area/objective. But Nidbanes in general ruin that, everyone and their mother wants to spawn as many as they can for the same chance to feel power without responsibility that the griefers tend to want to feel. Maybe there ought to be some form of downside to summoning a Nidbane, to make player action and response more appealing by comparison.
Phaen wrote:RIP Homicidal Ninja :(
Let us reflect upon the good he was able to do during his short time in the hearthlands.
Let us remind ourselves of his bravery and willingness to fight for the safety of his friends!
Let us hope he can surpass his previous achievements in his future lives.
<3
ninja_yodeler

Postby Granger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:22 am

NOOBY93 wrote:

Huh? No. It would steal a PERCENTAGE of stats, temporarily. If you mass-sacrifice alts you'd lose more by spawning the nidbanes (hard metal or lots of experience) than you would gain (temporary 10% for example, of 10 strength, is 1 strength)

Build some dozed throwaway, but powerful, characters (like some did for fighters the previous worlds), make them commit crimes against you, send nidbanes to collect their 'percentage', be buffed up even more like from einher (or whatever it was called) and go on a killing spree, rinse&repeat then the 'temporarily' is over (and the alts have their stats back).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby jorb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:32 am

Potjeh wrote:I'd go with making it so only one nidbane can be sent per scent.

Already the case, doe.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Bowshot125 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:42 am

Other players shouldn't be able to damage the nidbane because you have to fight your own demons, others cant help you there.
Bowshot125

Postby mietzi94 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:43 am

jorb wrote:
Already the case, doe.

Should be only one per player. If you get involved in a group pvp fight and you are the person who gets like 4 killing blows, they can send 4 nidbanes after you -> death is almost guaranteed.
Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued.
mietzi94

Postby Potjeh » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:45 am

jorb wrote:
Potjeh wrote:I'd go with making it so only one nidbane can be sent per scent.

Already the case, doe.

Isn't that one at a time, though? If that's how it works you could whittle down the target with a series of nids.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas